Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe symptoms tarsal tunnel & neuropathy

Posted by Lisa N. on 10/19/02 at 13:52 (097905)

What are severe symptoms of tarsal tunnel syndrome and neuropathy (not diabetic)? Do cortisone injections help - what is the procedure for this and are there any side effects? Thank you.

Lisa N.

Re: Severe symptoms tarsal tunnel & neuropathy

caryn z. on 10/19/02 at 20:31 (097935)

hi Lisa

for more information on neuropathy check out http://www.neuropathy.org this is the Neuropathy Association website in New York and you can link into support group websites and email addresses close to you in USA and Canada.

I have recently undergone nerve conduction tests myself for possible neuropathy and they came back with no apparent sensory damage however I have been told by doctor that I do have tarsal tunnel syndrome and I scheduled for cortisone shots first before going ahead with surgery.

What tests if any have you had done so far. I have literally gone around the block and back and been given quite a few different diagnoses by 3 different doctors. I feel that they are only wanting to treat the symptoms and not necessarily the cause of the problem so it is an ongoing battle. I have been close to 2 yrs now with tingling and burning sensations in my left foot as well as constant heel pain. My quality of life has been very restricted the past year and I don't get much solid sleep now with all the pain. Staying off my foot as much as possible has meant quitting my job and doing very little standing or walking.

In Canada, since each province has its own health care plan, and the federal government looks after permanent disability benefits, it is a time consuming process and tons of questionnaires to complete before they are examined by 'clinical examiners' who make a decision whether or not you qualify as 'disabled'. I applied in May and still have not received a final decision, however I have worked since January and cannot at this point.

It is very frustrating to say the least and I'm sure there are many others in the same situation. Stumbling upon this website has been a blessing and I have still got a lot of reading to do here. I hope you find some answers from this site and that you are managing your pain and suffering.

Regards,
Caryn Z

Lisa N. on 10/19/02 at 22:11 (097939)

Caryn,

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciated reading your post. I will certainly check out the Neuropathy site. I also have had the nerve conduction test as well as EMG. Both neuropathy and tarsal tunnel were confirmed. (as well as carpal tunnel) Have had 2 separate MRIs of spine because the neurologist thought I might have neurofibromas and these possibly might be the cause of neuropathic pain to my feet. This was suspected because I had 2 visible fibromas on my leg -- on ankle and side of calf. These just recently removed though. MRI revealed arthritis of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine but I still have an appt. with neurologist for further follow-up of MRI results. Possibly my back is causing some foot pain. The neurologist is treating the foot pain with Neurontin 1200mg per day and the podiatrist gave me Celebrex 200mg along with arch supports. He presently suggests custom orthotics (not covered by my health insurance) and cortisone shots to begin. I have put this on 'hold' for just a bit until I check these procedures first, which is how I came across this website.

Both of my feet are effected by the tarsal tunnel and neuropathy and I too have had my quality of life and energy diminished. I have been about a year with pain which first began with tingling, numbing, burning sensations and then progressed to sharp and searing pains in my heels, arches and toes as well as the ball of the foot, which also feels like a hard rock underneath it much of the time. I also experienced a 'moving sensation' over my toes and the feeling of hard wrinkled socks all over my feet! Gosh sounds terrible, but that was the feeling. If I remember back a few years, I actually first had pain in my heels upon arising in the morning (before any of the other pain began some time later). I kept trying to help myself by wearing comfortable tennis shoes to absorb the shock.

Before I began the medication, the worst pain was felt at night when I first got into bed and for a couple of long hours before falling asleep. Sometimes I would put my feet in very cold water just before going to bed as this helped to 'numb' my feet a little. However, I have been helped much with the sharp and shooting pains in heels, arches, and toes using the neurontin. And this has given me much needed sleep as well as kept daily pain at a lesser degree. It actually feels better to me to keep moving on my feet as when I rest them or stand still the pain is the greatest. I guess I have to treat the symptoms until they can complete tests to confirm the cause of the problems. Are you on any medications at this time? I'm afraid of the cortisone injections and possible side affects, but the podiatrist and his staff are reassuring me that everything will be fine.

So I too want to research this frustrating condition and I'm just very glad to hear from you. You are hopeful support just because you're there and I pray the best outcome and help for your particular situation and condition.

All the best,
Lisa N.

caryn z on 10/19/02 at 23:45 (097944)

hi there Lisa,

Nice to hear from you with a personal note. Apart from the cysts you have suffered from, my symptoms are very similar to yours and many others who write on this site. When I developed symptoms 2 yrs ago, my mother had already been diagnosed with polyneuropathy and is currently undergoing a plasma exchange because she has too much protein which has caused the nerve damage to her legs and feet. They sent me for nerve testing because some of my symptoms were similar to that of hers and they thought it may be genetic, however they have ruled that out. When my EMR test came back negative and all sensory points normal, my ortho doctor suggested that I perhaps have an entrapped tibial nerve which can go undetected on nerve testing therefore the TTS diagnosis was given.

It is very frustrating to go from pillar to post and not really find an answer to the cause of this problem that so many of us are suffering with. I am still a little leary of having the cortisone shots because i have read that so many people have little or no success with them in the feet. There are some who seem to have had success with a series of shots and now feel no pain at all, so go figure!

I know they say that the change in weather is 'an old wives tale' but I do feel the changes when it goes from warm/hot to cool/damp and then the pain intensifies. My pain is all the time, but worse on the first step out of bed in the morning. I am really sleep deprived now and only manage about 3 hours without feeling the shocks in my foot and tingling sensation which feels like people pricking me all the time. I can manage about 10 minutes standing at one time and then have to sort of hop.

I have tried full orthotics and heel cups to no avail, in fact the orthotics were worse and caused more pain and now I have stopped using the heel cups as well. I was on a few different anti-inflammatories without success and told my doctor I did not want to continually use the drugs when they weren't doing anything for me.

I am unhappy with the fact that my family doctor seems to think my prognosis is good once I have this treatment of cortisone shots and that I should be able to do 'sedentary work' but how do I get from here to there and then sit all day with my foot dangling under a desk?

Oh well, I'll keep on plugging along like everyone else is doing. In case you want to know more about neuropathy on a personal level, you can email (email removed) - this is address for the support group that my mother, Val has just recently started up in Calgary, Alberta and she is extremely knowledgeable on this disease. Good luck and please keep in touch. Perhaps you'd like to include your email address in your next reply.

Best regards,
Caryn Z

nikki on 10/21/02 at 09:29 (098019)

I read you've had problems sleeping. My doc prescribed Ambien. It's a sleeping pill. It worked wonderful for me. I hadn't slept through the night since my surgery and I was waking up numerous times at night and couldn't get back to sleep. The Ambien worked so great. It didn't leave me tired or groggy the next day. I highly recommend trying it.
Nikki

caryn z. on 10/19/02 at 20:31 (097935)

hi Lisa

for more information on neuropathy check out http://www.neuropathy.org this is the Neuropathy Association website in New York and you can link into support group websites and email addresses close to you in USA and Canada.

I have recently undergone nerve conduction tests myself for possible neuropathy and they came back with no apparent sensory damage however I have been told by doctor that I do have tarsal tunnel syndrome and I scheduled for cortisone shots first before going ahead with surgery.

What tests if any have you had done so far. I have literally gone around the block and back and been given quite a few different diagnoses by 3 different doctors. I feel that they are only wanting to treat the symptoms and not necessarily the cause of the problem so it is an ongoing battle. I have been close to 2 yrs now with tingling and burning sensations in my left foot as well as constant heel pain. My quality of life has been very restricted the past year and I don't get much solid sleep now with all the pain. Staying off my foot as much as possible has meant quitting my job and doing very little standing or walking.

In Canada, since each province has its own health care plan, and the federal government looks after permanent disability benefits, it is a time consuming process and tons of questionnaires to complete before they are examined by 'clinical examiners' who make a decision whether or not you qualify as 'disabled'. I applied in May and still have not received a final decision, however I have worked since January and cannot at this point.

It is very frustrating to say the least and I'm sure there are many others in the same situation. Stumbling upon this website has been a blessing and I have still got a lot of reading to do here. I hope you find some answers from this site and that you are managing your pain and suffering.

Regards,
Caryn Z

Lisa N. on 10/19/02 at 22:11 (097939)

Caryn,

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciated reading your post. I will certainly check out the Neuropathy site. I also have had the nerve conduction test as well as EMG. Both neuropathy and tarsal tunnel were confirmed. (as well as carpal tunnel) Have had 2 separate MRIs of spine because the neurologist thought I might have neurofibromas and these possibly might be the cause of neuropathic pain to my feet. This was suspected because I had 2 visible fibromas on my leg -- on ankle and side of calf. These just recently removed though. MRI revealed arthritis of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine but I still have an appt. with neurologist for further follow-up of MRI results. Possibly my back is causing some foot pain. The neurologist is treating the foot pain with Neurontin 1200mg per day and the podiatrist gave me Celebrex 200mg along with arch supports. He presently suggests custom orthotics (not covered by my health insurance) and cortisone shots to begin. I have put this on 'hold' for just a bit until I check these procedures first, which is how I came across this website.

Both of my feet are effected by the tarsal tunnel and neuropathy and I too have had my quality of life and energy diminished. I have been about a year with pain which first began with tingling, numbing, burning sensations and then progressed to sharp and searing pains in my heels, arches and toes as well as the ball of the foot, which also feels like a hard rock underneath it much of the time. I also experienced a 'moving sensation' over my toes and the feeling of hard wrinkled socks all over my feet! Gosh sounds terrible, but that was the feeling. If I remember back a few years, I actually first had pain in my heels upon arising in the morning (before any of the other pain began some time later). I kept trying to help myself by wearing comfortable tennis shoes to absorb the shock.

Before I began the medication, the worst pain was felt at night when I first got into bed and for a couple of long hours before falling asleep. Sometimes I would put my feet in very cold water just before going to bed as this helped to 'numb' my feet a little. However, I have been helped much with the sharp and shooting pains in heels, arches, and toes using the neurontin. And this has given me much needed sleep as well as kept daily pain at a lesser degree. It actually feels better to me to keep moving on my feet as when I rest them or stand still the pain is the greatest. I guess I have to treat the symptoms until they can complete tests to confirm the cause of the problems. Are you on any medications at this time? I'm afraid of the cortisone injections and possible side affects, but the podiatrist and his staff are reassuring me that everything will be fine.

So I too want to research this frustrating condition and I'm just very glad to hear from you. You are hopeful support just because you're there and I pray the best outcome and help for your particular situation and condition.

All the best,
Lisa N.

caryn z on 10/19/02 at 23:45 (097944)

hi there Lisa,

Nice to hear from you with a personal note. Apart from the cysts you have suffered from, my symptoms are very similar to yours and many others who write on this site. When I developed symptoms 2 yrs ago, my mother had already been diagnosed with polyneuropathy and is currently undergoing a plasma exchange because she has too much protein which has caused the nerve damage to her legs and feet. They sent me for nerve testing because some of my symptoms were similar to that of hers and they thought it may be genetic, however they have ruled that out. When my EMR test came back negative and all sensory points normal, my ortho doctor suggested that I perhaps have an entrapped tibial nerve which can go undetected on nerve testing therefore the TTS diagnosis was given.

It is very frustrating to go from pillar to post and not really find an answer to the cause of this problem that so many of us are suffering with. I am still a little leary of having the cortisone shots because i have read that so many people have little or no success with them in the feet. There are some who seem to have had success with a series of shots and now feel no pain at all, so go figure!

I know they say that the change in weather is 'an old wives tale' but I do feel the changes when it goes from warm/hot to cool/damp and then the pain intensifies. My pain is all the time, but worse on the first step out of bed in the morning. I am really sleep deprived now and only manage about 3 hours without feeling the shocks in my foot and tingling sensation which feels like people pricking me all the time. I can manage about 10 minutes standing at one time and then have to sort of hop.

I have tried full orthotics and heel cups to no avail, in fact the orthotics were worse and caused more pain and now I have stopped using the heel cups as well. I was on a few different anti-inflammatories without success and told my doctor I did not want to continually use the drugs when they weren't doing anything for me.

I am unhappy with the fact that my family doctor seems to think my prognosis is good once I have this treatment of cortisone shots and that I should be able to do 'sedentary work' but how do I get from here to there and then sit all day with my foot dangling under a desk?

Oh well, I'll keep on plugging along like everyone else is doing. In case you want to know more about neuropathy on a personal level, you can email (email removed) - this is address for the support group that my mother, Val has just recently started up in Calgary, Alberta and she is extremely knowledgeable on this disease. Good luck and please keep in touch. Perhaps you'd like to include your email address in your next reply.

Best regards,
Caryn Z

nikki on 10/21/02 at 09:29 (098019)

I read you've had problems sleeping. My doc prescribed Ambien. It's a sleeping pill. It worked wonderful for me. I hadn't slept through the night since my surgery and I was waking up numerous times at night and couldn't get back to sleep. The Ambien worked so great. It didn't leave me tired or groggy the next day. I highly recommend trying it.
Nikki

KARTHIKEYAN B.M. on 2/04/04 at 13:19 (143626)

Respected sir/madam,
I am karthikeyan,student of ALL INDIA INSTITUTE OF SPEECH AND HEARING.i want to prepare one checklist for AUDITORY DYSSYNCHRONY.so i want to know more about the SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF AUDITORY DYSSYNCHRONY.
so please send me the above information to the following e-mail address:
'(email removed)'
thanking you
yours sincerely,
karthikeyan

barb B on 10/23/05 at 06:11 (185463)

i have been having symptoms of tarsal tunnel, with extremely painful neuropathy they are giving me Lyrica for neuropathy it has helped but still feel the burning and tingling in feet. I cant wear my nikes anymore feet are too sensitive i had to but fur lined shoes, because it is soft on feet. I go back to foot dr. on wed oct 26th hope they decide what they are going to do. I've had Emg and no definite diagnosis any way i am very frustrated and have not been able to work for two months.by the time you get to the right doctors you could just die from the pain!!!!has anyone had surgery for this if yes please reply on this site. thanks barb

elvis on 10/23/05 at 13:16 (185492)

See this for Lyrica information.

http://www.lyrica.com/img/all/uspi_lyrica.pdf

Hardly seems worth the cost. Alpha lipooic acid is also used for diabetic peripheral neuropathy. The best thing for you to do is get your fasting sugar and insulin under control. Good luck.

laurellew on 9/09/07 at 07:06 (235785)

i had surgery for tts back in 2003... if you read up on it (something i should have done before the surgery) you will learn that it normaly doesnt work in fact my pain is worse than ever, i am now fighting for social security ( and it doesnt look good) i am on anexia for the pain and prozac for the depression neither seem to work very well i have many sleeples nights because of the pain ...i am down to working 3 hrs a day and trying to support my daughter on this it is not easy i must say...

scott h. on 11/06/07 at 11:43 (239049)

hi,

i also had surgery for tts. did not work. my nerve doc said i should forgo it but i was desperate and tried. it was a total failure. cortazone shots do help me but they are no good for long term care. i would have to have them every three day's and the more you have them the less effective they become. i do get them when i have something important to do like family reunion's ect to where i would get three day's relief and be able to enjoy myself. my neuropathy has no origin. the call that idiopathic. i have found no medications that help me yet. i have been getting treatment for over a year but that is in reality very few doctor visits. i'll keep trying. i found a great advocate (not a lawyer) who got me my ssi. it took 9 month's. i got turned down for the firs two times i applied but when the trial came up i had elected her help and she was amazing. i also have plantar fasceitis. sorry my spelling really suck's. my real reason is to let you know that you can get ssi for this. i had to quit working altogether for the fact thast she told me that if i worked more than three month's in a row then i proved thier fact for them that i can work! like i said i listened to her and i got my ssi in 9 month's. good luck. from what i've suffered with we need all the well wishing we can get from each other. i'll be thinking about you!

kimb on 11/12/08 at 10:05 (252154)

Hi I have had 3 surgeries 2 on my right foot and one on my left and my feet and legs still hurt. I have tarsal tunnel, nerve damage and heel spurs. The Lyrica they put you on makes people gain weight and if its not working for you then stop taking it. I take vicodin es and gabapentin 300mg and sleeping pills at night still no help.. I have talk to a bunch of doctors here in Michigan and there is no cure for nerve damage. My foot doctor says everyone is different surgery might work for you but it didn't for me.. Good luck.