Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mowing with PF

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 15:39 (097973)

You know, one thing that PF really does for us is that once we are healing, it makes us feel so GRATEFUL for being able to do things that we couldn't do before.

Even though I'm almost all healed, I still have 'good PF days' and 'bad PF days' relatively speaking. Today was a super-good PF day for me. I mowed the lawn and swept the clippings off the sidewalk, vacuumed the whole house, did laundry and a big stack of dishes, and other such things that I never would have been able to do with PF. All that and I didn't lose my bounce!

My feet feel awfully good and when I do my stretches, there just isn't any excessive tightness in the Achilles at all. I feel like I could go for a walk too, today (but in the spirit of doing less than I think I can do, I'll pace myself and do that another day).

This is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. Maybe each moment of suffering we endure with PF is destined to come back to us in equal or even greater quantities of joy, later on. It makes sense to me. The rest of the universe seems to be so wondrously balanced in so many ways.

So if you are hurting badly, hang in there. There really IS light at the end of the tunnel, and I'd guess there is a lot of joy in your future.

I do wish it didn't take so blankety-blank long for us to get from there, to here, but all we can do is our best and meanwhile endure.

Carole C

Re: Mowing with PF

wendyn on 10/20/02 at 16:02 (097978)

Carole, you are so right.

I love to go to the zoo. I am at a point where it still hurts - but at least I can go. Funny - for about 30 years the zoo was not such a big deal, and now I think it's one of my favourite places in the whole world. That's what happens when things are taken away from you - for about two years I couldn't go at all. Maybe to me it's a reminder of how important some of those 'little things' are.

JudyS on 10/20/02 at 19:47 (097985)

Carole - I like that 'good PF days, bad PF days' thing of yours. Even reasonably healed, that is a darn accurate description of PF life! I mowed my grass this morning also and washed the floor. A couple of years ago I couldn't have done that. You do tend to get even more out of that 'fresh cut grass aroma'!
However, I decided to do a step aerobics workout the other day and guess what - sore heel. Like Carmen, my recovery time is much, much quicker than it used to be but I was still disappointed that the old insertion soreness reared its ugly head in one foot.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 21:46 (097989)

I wish that you had not had that sore heel after your aerobics. Guess your heel just wasn't ready for that on that day, for some reason. At least the bad PF days aren't as bad as they used to be.

One of these days you'll be doing step aerobics whenever you want, and writing about how you couldn't have done them before. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 21:50 (097990)

Yes you really DO understand! It is such an intense joy to regain something that has been lost for so long.

Carole C

Re: Good points, ladies! (eom)

Suzanne D on 10/20/02 at 22:10 (097991)

wendyn on 10/20/02 at 22:29 (097994)

I actually noticed heel pain a few weeks ago. Very unusual for me. Actually - I probably would have ignored if I didn't recognize it for a warning sign (the benefits of hanging out on a heel pain board).

I was being negligent with my birks in the house rule, too much stocking feet.

I have since mended my ways and the pain in the middle of my heel has disappeared.

Julie on 10/21/02 at 08:07 (098007)

Carole, that really strikes a chord with me. I've had those moments of intense joy with every step forward - being able to walk a mile between classes instead of having to take a taxi, walking barefoot on the beach (not repeated due to Vigilant Attitude, but glorious while it lasted), going for hill walks in Crete and feeling only a minor twinge afterwards. The latest surge of joy was going for really long hill walks a couple of weeks ago and suddenly realising that there was NO TWINGE AFTERWARDS. Not the slightest.

It's wonderful, isn't it?! It can take a while - but there is surely light at the end of the tunnel.

Andrue on 10/21/02 at 13:21 (098030)

Lucky, lucky you.

My feet have recovered from the recent setback (not bad actually, less than seven days) and I'm now experimenting with towel stretches and more 'grab the toes and pulls'. All I've noticed so far is a vague feeling of soreness under and around my heel so I'm taking it very carefully. It could just be my feet getting used to being stretched but (of course) one has to be careful with a new treatment.

I also tried Scott's wooden board+brick and this has shown that my right leg has less flexibility. It can only manage an angle of 17 degrees. My left feels like it could go further though.

wendyn on 10/20/02 at 16:02 (097978)

Carole, you are so right.

I love to go to the zoo. I am at a point where it still hurts - but at least I can go. Funny - for about 30 years the zoo was not such a big deal, and now I think it's one of my favourite places in the whole world. That's what happens when things are taken away from you - for about two years I couldn't go at all. Maybe to me it's a reminder of how important some of those 'little things' are.

JudyS on 10/20/02 at 19:47 (097985)

Carole - I like that 'good PF days, bad PF days' thing of yours. Even reasonably healed, that is a darn accurate description of PF life! I mowed my grass this morning also and washed the floor. A couple of years ago I couldn't have done that. You do tend to get even more out of that 'fresh cut grass aroma'!
However, I decided to do a step aerobics workout the other day and guess what - sore heel. Like Carmen, my recovery time is much, much quicker than it used to be but I was still disappointed that the old insertion soreness reared its ugly head in one foot.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 21:46 (097989)

I wish that you had not had that sore heel after your aerobics. Guess your heel just wasn't ready for that on that day, for some reason. At least the bad PF days aren't as bad as they used to be.

One of these days you'll be doing step aerobics whenever you want, and writing about how you couldn't have done them before. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/20/02 at 21:50 (097990)

Yes you really DO understand! It is such an intense joy to regain something that has been lost for so long.

Carole C

Re: Good points, ladies! (eom)

Suzanne D on 10/20/02 at 22:10 (097991)

wendyn on 10/20/02 at 22:29 (097994)

I actually noticed heel pain a few weeks ago. Very unusual for me. Actually - I probably would have ignored if I didn't recognize it for a warning sign (the benefits of hanging out on a heel pain board).

I was being negligent with my birks in the house rule, too much stocking feet.

I have since mended my ways and the pain in the middle of my heel has disappeared.

Julie on 10/21/02 at 08:07 (098007)

Carole, that really strikes a chord with me. I've had those moments of intense joy with every step forward - being able to walk a mile between classes instead of having to take a taxi, walking barefoot on the beach (not repeated due to Vigilant Attitude, but glorious while it lasted), going for hill walks in Crete and feeling only a minor twinge afterwards. The latest surge of joy was going for really long hill walks a couple of weeks ago and suddenly realising that there was NO TWINGE AFTERWARDS. Not the slightest.

It's wonderful, isn't it?! It can take a while - but there is surely light at the end of the tunnel.

Andrue on 10/21/02 at 13:21 (098030)

Lucky, lucky you.

My feet have recovered from the recent setback (not bad actually, less than seven days) and I'm now experimenting with towel stretches and more 'grab the toes and pulls'. All I've noticed so far is a vague feeling of soreness under and around my heel so I'm taking it very carefully. It could just be my feet getting used to being stretched but (of course) one has to be careful with a new treatment.

I also tried Scott's wooden board+brick and this has shown that my right leg has less flexibility. It can only manage an angle of 17 degrees. My left feels like it could go further though.