Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion Surgery

Posted by Lisa M. on 10/21/02 at 08:15 (098010)

Hi everyone!
I am having Bunion surgery in three weeks. I'm not really nervous because my Doctor told me I would only need one or two pain killers. Does that sound about right?? Or is it really painful?? I also know that I am going to be in a cast for about seven weeks When do you think I'll be able to return to work I am mostly sitting at work. So far I've told them 4 weeks.

Re: Bunion Surgery

Pat T. on 11/09/02 at 19:49 (099685)

You won't feel a thing when you wake up from surgery because they put a nerve block in. Your foot will not hurt at all.

You'll be fine for about 24 hours and then when the nerve block wears off, you'll need some pain medication. You'll do OK! Wish I would have done it sooner.

I got so used to wearing the 'wooden shoe' I didn't feel normal without it. You can take it off at night so it's not like a cast.

I was back at work in one week because I sit at a desk.
If you stand on your feet all day, you can't go back to work;
if you sit at a desk, you can go back to work.

Pat
Two months out

Pat S. on 11/18/02 at 11:13 (100568)

I had my surgery on Friday and here it is Monday and I am at work.
I also had the bone surgically straightened. It is uncomfortable but bearable to go back to work if you have to. Advice.....take a day or two off of work if you can....

Jacqueline H on 11/22/02 at 13:49 (100920)

I had bunion surgery on my right foot in January 2002 and my left foot in July 2002. My big toes were broken and readjusted and had pins inserted. I am having a lot of trouble with my right foot, the toe is painful and swells by the day's end even 10 months after surgery. The left foot is doing fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jacqueline H

Gloriann O on 12/09/02 at 10:17 (102343)

I had bunion surgery on 11/8 and returned to work the following Thursday. As long as your sitting or can put your foot up working is not a problem. There is no serious pain. Stuff comes and goes. I was able to walk an hour after the surgery in a special shoe which I'm still wearing and hope to get rid of tomorrow. Big toe is a little stiff. I also had a bunionette and hammer toe fixed on the little toe. Foot was pinned in 4 places and the pins were removed just short of 4 weeks. It does get tiring to walk lopsided and I'm anxious to get on with it.

Gloriann O. on 12/10/02 at 07:47 (102510)

Has anyone had problems getting movement back in the toe? My toe does not even touch the ground. I can stick my pinky between my toe and the floor but I have yet to walk in a normal shoe and have been in a surgical shoe that keeps me walking on my heel. Any info?

Pat T. on 11/09/02 at 19:49 (099685)

You won't feel a thing when you wake up from surgery because they put a nerve block in. Your foot will not hurt at all.

You'll be fine for about 24 hours and then when the nerve block wears off, you'll need some pain medication. You'll do OK! Wish I would have done it sooner.

I got so used to wearing the 'wooden shoe' I didn't feel normal without it. You can take it off at night so it's not like a cast.

I was back at work in one week because I sit at a desk.
If you stand on your feet all day, you can't go back to work;
if you sit at a desk, you can go back to work.

Pat
Two months out

Pat S. on 11/18/02 at 11:13 (100568)

I had my surgery on Friday and here it is Monday and I am at work.
I also had the bone surgically straightened. It is uncomfortable but bearable to go back to work if you have to. Advice.....take a day or two off of work if you can....

Jacqueline H on 11/22/02 at 13:49 (100920)

I had bunion surgery on my right foot in January 2002 and my left foot in July 2002. My big toes were broken and readjusted and had pins inserted. I am having a lot of trouble with my right foot, the toe is painful and swells by the day's end even 10 months after surgery. The left foot is doing fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jacqueline H

Gloriann O on 12/09/02 at 10:17 (102343)

I had bunion surgery on 11/8 and returned to work the following Thursday. As long as your sitting or can put your foot up working is not a problem. There is no serious pain. Stuff comes and goes. I was able to walk an hour after the surgery in a special shoe which I'm still wearing and hope to get rid of tomorrow. Big toe is a little stiff. I also had a bunionette and hammer toe fixed on the little toe. Foot was pinned in 4 places and the pins were removed just short of 4 weeks. It does get tiring to walk lopsided and I'm anxious to get on with it.

Gloriann O. on 12/10/02 at 07:47 (102510)

Has anyone had problems getting movement back in the toe? My toe does not even touch the ground. I can stick my pinky between my toe and the floor but I have yet to walk in a normal shoe and have been in a surgical shoe that keeps me walking on my heel. Any info?