Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post ESWT

Posted by Suzanne J. on 10/21/02 at 09:51 (098022)

I've had PF for 5 1/2 years and had ESWT 7 weeks ago. I am feeling a bit discouraged since I thought I'd start to see some improvement after 6 weeks. I've had more pain than before treatment, and although that is starting to lessen, I'm not sure that ESWT is going to be the 'cure' that I hoped for. I'll try to wait for the 12 week mark before making a final judgement.

Re: Post ESWT

dave r on 10/21/02 at 09:59 (098024)

Hi Suzanne, i have also had pf for a long time. I just passed the 6 year mark. I have had eswt twice. I didnt see an improvement after the first treatment until i reached 18 weeks after......Dont get discouraged. And i believe that 12 weeks is not enough time for reevaluting.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/22/02 at 09:04 (098080)

There is going to be ups and downs in the healing phase of ESWT. There is no specific period that tells the body pain go away. Averages are the norm. We have found that pain will resolve immediately, a few days, a few weeks and sometime up to sixteen weeks. Be patients and most important don't increase your activity because it is starting to feel better. Good luck ESWT has resolves hundreds of patients in our ESWT group practice

john h on 10/22/02 at 13:56 (098085)

Suzanne J: Do not look for a miracle with ESWT and do wait at least 12 weeks before you judge the results. Some describe success as a 50% reduction in pain. Some people have been almost totally cured and some have had no positive results. Some require several treatments to achieve positive results. You have a way to go do do not get discouraged.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 11:48 (098557)

Thanks to all of you for these messages. I had no relief from ESWT 1 and had ESWT 2 11 weeks ago and still have no relief. My doctor is very encouraging but I am glad to hear it from people who have actually been there. I've had severe PF in both feet for a year and it is so hard to be patient and hopeful. Thanks -- Mar

john h on 10/29/02 at 13:45 (098569)

Mar: Which ESWT machine were you treated with. I have read of various cases where the patient did no see improvement for some months and cases where multiple treatments are required. It would be easy to miss the exact spot of your inflamation when receiving treatment particularly if the operator was not very experienced.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 14:49 (098577)

John - I was treated with the Dornier Epos, I think -- it is the one with the ultrasound attached to it. Both the doctor and the technician have had a lot of experience -- they each did one foot! Mar

dave r on 10/21/02 at 09:59 (098024)

Hi Suzanne, i have also had pf for a long time. I just passed the 6 year mark. I have had eswt twice. I didnt see an improvement after the first treatment until i reached 18 weeks after......Dont get discouraged. And i believe that 12 weeks is not enough time for reevaluting.

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/22/02 at 09:04 (098080)

There is going to be ups and downs in the healing phase of ESWT. There is no specific period that tells the body pain go away. Averages are the norm. We have found that pain will resolve immediately, a few days, a few weeks and sometime up to sixteen weeks. Be patients and most important don't increase your activity because it is starting to feel better. Good luck ESWT has resolves hundreds of patients in our ESWT group practice

john h on 10/22/02 at 13:56 (098085)

Suzanne J: Do not look for a miracle with ESWT and do wait at least 12 weeks before you judge the results. Some describe success as a 50% reduction in pain. Some people have been almost totally cured and some have had no positive results. Some require several treatments to achieve positive results. You have a way to go do do not get discouraged.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 11:48 (098557)

Thanks to all of you for these messages. I had no relief from ESWT 1 and had ESWT 2 11 weeks ago and still have no relief. My doctor is very encouraging but I am glad to hear it from people who have actually been there. I've had severe PF in both feet for a year and it is so hard to be patient and hopeful. Thanks -- Mar

john h on 10/29/02 at 13:45 (098569)

Mar: Which ESWT machine were you treated with. I have read of various cases where the patient did no see improvement for some months and cases where multiple treatments are required. It would be easy to miss the exact spot of your inflamation when receiving treatment particularly if the operator was not very experienced.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 14:49 (098577)

John - I was treated with the Dornier Epos, I think -- it is the one with the ultrasound attached to it. Both the doctor and the technician have had a lot of experience -- they each did one foot! Mar