Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saw something neat the other day**

Posted by Necee on 10/21/02 at 22:19 (098055)

While my hubby and I were taking a drive in the country we came upon a old store, the windows had been boarded up, the porch was falling in, and there was grapevine growing up the outside on the clapboard walls. We managed to peek inside through a crack in the wall, and what I saw amazed me......it was as if they just shut the door one day and walked away. The dust and cobweb covered shelves still held can goods, there were signs on the walls, and the old grocery store countertop had a enamel meat scale sitting on it. I could barely read the old Clabber Girl sign hanging below the counter. There were cane bottom chairs, and an old bench in the corner. The most interesting thing was what we found on the outside wall....written in faded pencil on the clapboard siding was, Dec 12, 1886 sleet and snow, below that was Jan 19 1886 wind and rain, and it goes on and on, they used that whole wall to record the weather and related happenings. What history! As we sat in the shade of a hackberry tree, on a grassy area next to that old ramshackled building, I invisioned seeing oldtimmers in their overalls, sittin' and whittlin' sticks and chewing tobacco, while there wives were inside purchasing a weeks supply of groceries, and who knows, maybe a moon pie or two!
You can bet I'll be making a trip back to that old store again, for another journey back in time.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Saw something neat the other day**

wendyn on 10/21/02 at 22:51 (098059)

Necee, that sounds like something I'd be facinated with too - and I can see why you'd be interested with your antique hobby. Were you able to rescue some things from there?

Carole C in NOLA on 10/21/02 at 23:26 (098065)

Well that was a neat discovery! Maybe someone at the history department of the local university or college would be interested. I wonder who owns it, and if it's been disturbed since 1886 or not? What intrigue!

Carole C

Necee on 10/22/02 at 07:51 (098072)

Oh no Wendy, I would never try to enter and retrieve things from a place like that. I will be going back someday and taking my camcorder to record that wonderful and fascinating store. I failed to mention that there was an old pot bellied stove in there as well, and an old rusty metal Dr. Pepper sign hanging on the outside above the porch, and the writings on the outside wall were too many to mention, but so very interesting! This store was way out in the country, with no towns nearby, I'm amazed that it hasn't been broken into and all those relics stolen.

Happy trails.....

Necee

john h on 10/22/02 at 13:51 (098084)

Neece: At one time there was only one flavor of moon pie but in recent years i see they have a couple of different fillings. Be sure and send Nancy the original.

carmen h on 10/22/02 at 16:49 (098095)

AWESOME!!!!!!
I wish I could be there to share that cool experience!
I love that stuff. keep us updated on what you find...
I would try to find out who owns the store..can you imagine the antiques!

wendyn on 10/21/02 at 22:51 (098059)

Necee, that sounds like something I'd be facinated with too - and I can see why you'd be interested with your antique hobby. Were you able to rescue some things from there?

Carole C in NOLA on 10/21/02 at 23:26 (098065)

Well that was a neat discovery! Maybe someone at the history department of the local university or college would be interested. I wonder who owns it, and if it's been disturbed since 1886 or not? What intrigue!

Carole C

Necee on 10/22/02 at 07:51 (098072)

Oh no Wendy, I would never try to enter and retrieve things from a place like that. I will be going back someday and taking my camcorder to record that wonderful and fascinating store. I failed to mention that there was an old pot bellied stove in there as well, and an old rusty metal Dr. Pepper sign hanging on the outside above the porch, and the writings on the outside wall were too many to mention, but so very interesting! This store was way out in the country, with no towns nearby, I'm amazed that it hasn't been broken into and all those relics stolen.

Happy trails.....

Necee

john h on 10/22/02 at 13:51 (098084)

Neece: At one time there was only one flavor of moon pie but in recent years i see they have a couple of different fillings. Be sure and send Nancy the original.

carmen h on 10/22/02 at 16:49 (098095)

AWESOME!!!!!!
I wish I could be there to share that cool experience!
I love that stuff. keep us updated on what you find...
I would try to find out who owns the store..can you imagine the antiques!