Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain and numbness in toes

Posted by Anne G on 10/22/02 at 10:32 (098082)

A few weeks ago, I tried to wear a pair of orthotics perscribed by my podiatrist and my 2nd,3rd, and 4th toes became numb. Obviously, I stopped wearing them but the nerve problems have persisted. Problems get worse when I am not my feet and if I wear shoes instead of sandals or clogs. I don't want to go back to the podiatrist because I have no more confidence in him after being treated for several months for heel pain and getting progressively worse. What should I do now?

Re: pain and numbness in toes

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/22/02 at 12:28 (098083)

Hello,

It could be that the orthosis were too thick or the shoe was too small. There are nerves in the ball of the foot between your toes that can be irritated from any kind of pressure. Sometimes you can develop a neuroma.

ESWT may be exactly what you need for your chronic heel pain. E-mail DR. Z at (email removed) and we will send you our ESWT informational packet.

Anne G on 10/22/02 at 14:48 (098088)

Do I go to a podiatrist, neurologist, or orthopedic surgeon to treat this?

Richard, C.Ped on 10/24/02 at 11:57 (098236)

Also, make sure that when wearing the orthosis, you take out the insole that comes with the shoe. Some may be glued inside, or it may just slide right out. If you try to wear an orthosis with the current shoe insole, that is just to much material and takes up space within the shoe. It also reduces the positive effects of the orhosis.
Richard, C.Ped

Re: to Richard, C.Ped

elliott on 10/24/02 at 15:13 (098260)

Unfortunately, sometimes I find the perfect shoe, only to be disappointed when beneath the insole there happens to be a sharp nail sticking up that would ruin the orthotic. Even more often, upon removing the insole and replacing with the 3/4-length orthotic, the remaining 1/4 of the exposed sole, at the forefoot, happens to itch the foot to no end; this always happens in an otherwise perfect shoe, and you often only realize this after it's too late to return. I have finally found a shoe that gives great support, takes orthotics, has no nails and no itch! Better stock up. :-)

[]

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/22/02 at 12:28 (098083)

Hello,

It could be that the orthosis were too thick or the shoe was too small. There are nerves in the ball of the foot between your toes that can be irritated from any kind of pressure. Sometimes you can develop a neuroma.

ESWT may be exactly what you need for your chronic heel pain. E-mail DR. Z at (email removed) and we will send you our ESWT informational packet.

Anne G on 10/22/02 at 14:48 (098088)

Do I go to a podiatrist, neurologist, or orthopedic surgeon to treat this?

Richard, C.Ped on 10/24/02 at 11:57 (098236)

Also, make sure that when wearing the orthosis, you take out the insole that comes with the shoe. Some may be glued inside, or it may just slide right out. If you try to wear an orthosis with the current shoe insole, that is just to much material and takes up space within the shoe. It also reduces the positive effects of the orhosis.
Richard, C.Ped

Re: to Richard, C.Ped

elliott on 10/24/02 at 15:13 (098260)

Unfortunately, sometimes I find the perfect shoe, only to be disappointed when beneath the insole there happens to be a sharp nail sticking up that would ruin the orthotic. Even more often, upon removing the insole and replacing with the 3/4-length orthotic, the remaining 1/4 of the exposed sole, at the forefoot, happens to itch the foot to no end; this always happens in an otherwise perfect shoe, and you often only realize this after it's too late to return. I have finally found a shoe that gives great support, takes orthotics, has no nails and no itch! Better stock up. :-)

[]