Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

info on plantar fasciitis

Posted by Elisa D. on 10/22/02 at 14:52 (098089)

hi I am doing a little research on a running/jogging injury called plantar fasciitis but I am having a problem on one question. WHat are sone effects that it has on the runners/joggers? HOpefully someone has the answer thanks for your time
Elisa

Re: info on plantar fasciitis

carmen h on 10/22/02 at 16:48 (098094)

Start with the pf book....this should answer a lot of problems. PF affects more than just runners in the same way....

Jim C on 10/22/02 at 22:11 (098114)

Hi Elisa,

I don't know how much help I can offer but for me as a life long avid runner I'll offer these few points.
On a physical level chronic planter fasciitis is devastating, not only due to the chronic pain (which feels like nails being driven into your heals that can last for months) which most runners such as myself will run right up until it is chronic and the pain is unbearable. And whonce it becomes full blown and acute one comes to realization that you have to stop running in order to heal this condition (runners are notorious for running through injuries).

But having to stop running can be emotionaly devastating also. For me, I have suffered from low grade depression all my life and running has been a all natural cure that not only keeps me in tip top shape but has kept me emotionaly fit. I know some people have switched to swimming and bicycling and other areobic exercies, but for me it just not the same, nothing can beat a good hard ten miler on a cool, sunny, fall day. So you can see the resistance to stopping.

Then, dealing with the emotions of stopping running, you also have to learn to live with the chronic pain of the condition. In the acute faze, PF is very painful with a long and slow recovery and with numerous set backs often lasting for months to years. PF can also be immobilizing for most to some degree or another. For me I had days where I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes and had to forgo events this summer like UL football games, NASCAR races because of the long walks due to parking which had a negative effect emotionaly.

OK, sounds like I'm venting. Let me end here on a positive note. Thanks for all I have learned on this site and from the advice/support from fellow sufferers, today I'm 90% pain free with most days 100% pain free. Now I do have occational set back, but I recover very quickly. I have no doubt that I will run that 10 miler again but with great respect for my feet and my spirit!

Jim

Annette on 10/23/02 at 07:03 (098127)

how much are you running now Jim? I too am hoping to be able to get back to running long runs, I really miss it also, and your right, biking and swimming are not the same.

Jim C. on 10/23/02 at 14:25 (098164)

Hi Annete,

I don't run at all, I haven't been physically able to run since July. Though I could problaly get by at this point with some short walks, I just think any kind of running at this point is a setback waiting to happen. I will just sit back and play it safe for a while. I do still have pain to the touch at the insertoin points at the inside of my heel, that tells me I have some healing left to do!

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/02 at 08:47 (098321)

Not running right now is very smart, Jim. It takes a lot of self discipline to refrain from something you love. Once you are completely healed, you can run and run and run, but right now your feet need the chance to heal and you are giving them that chance to heal.

I am SO GLAD that I chose to rest my feet when my PF was acute, and to aggressively pursue the other conservative treatments. Now, I can do essentially everything I could do before PF and I seldom feel any pain. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit, and when I do then I 'back off' for a few days. But that happens less and less as time passes.

Carole C

Leon S. on 10/29/02 at 20:08 (098612)

It's nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/30/02 at 17:15 (098697)

The light at the end of the tunnel is really there, for many of us. Doctors say that 90-95% of PF patients fully recover and I believe I am just about there. Sometimes (on 'good PF days') I feel like I can actually do more than before.

In my case, my PF was a repetitive motion injury caused by riding my recumbent bicycle improperly and continuing with it after I was diagnosed because I didn't agree that my bicycling was the cause. I don't seem to have any severe biomechanical problems during normal activity and my feet were more than strong enough to handle my weight painlessly even when I was more than 150 pounds overweight. I only got PF after losing half of that. After getting PF, I pursued conservative treatments aggressively.

Carole C

Leon S. on 10/30/02 at 17:53 (098699)

Carole, now you've got me interested because I've been using my recombant bike as my running alternative for a couple of months now. What did your doctor say that you did wrong and what is the correct way to use it?

Carole C in NOLA on 10/30/02 at 20:05 (098726)

My doctor just said that my injury was due to my recumbent bike. He didn't say anything about how I was riding it. I guess it seemed obvious to him, since I had just gotten his OK to buy one at my previous regular visit for my arthritis three months before and was very enthusiastic about my progress on my bike. I was sure the cause of my PF was my overweight, but he was very firm about my PF being (in my case) a repetitive motion injury since it came on quite suddenly in one day right after getting my bike, rather than slowly.

After posting on the message boards here, John H pointed out to me that it probably was a bad thing to be riding barefoot at the highest tension. I hadn't really thought about that, though I had started wearing shoes most of the time on my bike after I got PF because I was avoiding going barefoot. I also had the seat a couple of inches too far back, so that my Achilles tendons got 'twanged' a bit on every go-around and I had a lot of problems with Achilles tendonitis along with my PF (which is not unusual).

But really, there are so many possible ways to get a repetitive injury... I'm sure there are dozens of other mistakes that I could have made that would result in PF. That is why I feel that for someone like me it is crucial to stop ALL repetitive exercise and rest for a couple of months, at the worst part of PF. Once my feet were better, I could slowly add activities as I could tolerate them and see how it went. If something was hurting my feet, I'd just back off a little and wasn't nearly crippled by it.

At the height of PF, if it's severe like mine was, I think that for anyone it should be a very high priority to make substantial progress in healing. Since PF is commonly known to be a repetitive motion injury, it only makes sense to cut back on or eliminate any repetitive motion for a while, whether or not you 'know' it to be the problem. Once my feet improved, it only took me a couple of weeks to re-gain my muscle strength.

If I had continued riding, I never would have had a clue that my PF was due to cycling. I'd just have thought that it was taking me a very long time to get over PF.

Carole

john h on 10/31/02 at 10:09 (098798)

Leon: I have been using the recumbient bike for some years now since I stopped running. Our health club just got the newest high tech ones and are they neat. We have TV,s in our bike room and each bike you can select the tv you want to watch or put your on personal CD into the equipment in front of the room. You do furnish your on headphones. I do not know what these cost but I bet it must be several thousand dollars.

Leon S. on 10/31/02 at 17:47 (098835)

I can understand the onset of your PF coming from using the bike barefoot the way you say you did. As a matter of fact I can probably point to the specific time I ran barefoot on the beach this past summer as the beginning of my continuing pain, although, today was the first day I removed all shoe inserts-including sand residue- and had my 'best' pain day since it began. After reading your earlier post, I thought there might be some pedaling technique that I wasn't aware of.

Leon S. on 10/31/02 at 17:56 (098836)

John, I purchased a basic Vision Fitness bike (without all the heart monitoring stuff) for about $700 and am very happy with it. I use it the same way as you described where I watch videos of some shows that I tape during the week that I don't get to see otherwise. I also keep some hand weights nearby so that while I'm pedaling I use them to do some upper body tuning. What I really miss is jogging on these beautiful fall mornings. I guess I can use my regular street bike for that but I just got so used to getting up on a Sunday and going downstairs and doing it in the house.

Andrue on 11/01/02 at 03:23 (098869)

I am improving after my setback. I have finally lost (permanently I hope) the sensitivity to pressure along the underside of my feet. Even when I flex my toes upward I don't have much discomfort when pressing the soles of my feet.

My feet still feel a bit delicate though as if the Plantar Fascia isn't at full strength but things are looking good.

john h on 11/02/02 at 14:09 (099043)

Leon: I think in the final analysis that as long as you are peddling that baby it makes no difference what it cost. A motor scooter can get you from pont A to B same as a Lexus. I like my health club because it is also a social event i have a bunch of very expensive exercise machines I can use. I also do not have to deal with my wife and cats while riding at the club.

carmen h on 10/22/02 at 16:48 (098094)

Start with the pf book....this should answer a lot of problems. PF affects more than just runners in the same way....

Jim C on 10/22/02 at 22:11 (098114)

Hi Elisa,

I don't know how much help I can offer but for me as a life long avid runner I'll offer these few points.
On a physical level chronic planter fasciitis is devastating, not only due to the chronic pain (which feels like nails being driven into your heals that can last for months) which most runners such as myself will run right up until it is chronic and the pain is unbearable. And whonce it becomes full blown and acute one comes to realization that you have to stop running in order to heal this condition (runners are notorious for running through injuries).

But having to stop running can be emotionaly devastating also. For me, I have suffered from low grade depression all my life and running has been a all natural cure that not only keeps me in tip top shape but has kept me emotionaly fit. I know some people have switched to swimming and bicycling and other areobic exercies, but for me it just not the same, nothing can beat a good hard ten miler on a cool, sunny, fall day. So you can see the resistance to stopping.

Then, dealing with the emotions of stopping running, you also have to learn to live with the chronic pain of the condition. In the acute faze, PF is very painful with a long and slow recovery and with numerous set backs often lasting for months to years. PF can also be immobilizing for most to some degree or another. For me I had days where I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes and had to forgo events this summer like UL football games, NASCAR races because of the long walks due to parking which had a negative effect emotionaly.

OK, sounds like I'm venting. Let me end here on a positive note. Thanks for all I have learned on this site and from the advice/support from fellow sufferers, today I'm 90% pain free with most days 100% pain free. Now I do have occational set back, but I recover very quickly. I have no doubt that I will run that 10 miler again but with great respect for my feet and my spirit!

Jim

Annette on 10/23/02 at 07:03 (098127)

how much are you running now Jim? I too am hoping to be able to get back to running long runs, I really miss it also, and your right, biking and swimming are not the same.

Jim C. on 10/23/02 at 14:25 (098164)

Hi Annete,

I don't run at all, I haven't been physically able to run since July. Though I could problaly get by at this point with some short walks, I just think any kind of running at this point is a setback waiting to happen. I will just sit back and play it safe for a while. I do still have pain to the touch at the insertoin points at the inside of my heel, that tells me I have some healing left to do!

Jim

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/02 at 08:47 (098321)

Not running right now is very smart, Jim. It takes a lot of self discipline to refrain from something you love. Once you are completely healed, you can run and run and run, but right now your feet need the chance to heal and you are giving them that chance to heal.

I am SO GLAD that I chose to rest my feet when my PF was acute, and to aggressively pursue the other conservative treatments. Now, I can do essentially everything I could do before PF and I seldom feel any pain. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit, and when I do then I 'back off' for a few days. But that happens less and less as time passes.

Carole C

Leon S. on 10/29/02 at 20:08 (098612)

It's nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/30/02 at 17:15 (098697)

The light at the end of the tunnel is really there, for many of us. Doctors say that 90-95% of PF patients fully recover and I believe I am just about there. Sometimes (on 'good PF days') I feel like I can actually do more than before.

In my case, my PF was a repetitive motion injury caused by riding my recumbent bicycle improperly and continuing with it after I was diagnosed because I didn't agree that my bicycling was the cause. I don't seem to have any severe biomechanical problems during normal activity and my feet were more than strong enough to handle my weight painlessly even when I was more than 150 pounds overweight. I only got PF after losing half of that. After getting PF, I pursued conservative treatments aggressively.

Carole C

Leon S. on 10/30/02 at 17:53 (098699)

Carole, now you've got me interested because I've been using my recombant bike as my running alternative for a couple of months now. What did your doctor say that you did wrong and what is the correct way to use it?

Carole C in NOLA on 10/30/02 at 20:05 (098726)

My doctor just said that my injury was due to my recumbent bike. He didn't say anything about how I was riding it. I guess it seemed obvious to him, since I had just gotten his OK to buy one at my previous regular visit for my arthritis three months before and was very enthusiastic about my progress on my bike. I was sure the cause of my PF was my overweight, but he was very firm about my PF being (in my case) a repetitive motion injury since it came on quite suddenly in one day right after getting my bike, rather than slowly.

After posting on the message boards here, John H pointed out to me that it probably was a bad thing to be riding barefoot at the highest tension. I hadn't really thought about that, though I had started wearing shoes most of the time on my bike after I got PF because I was avoiding going barefoot. I also had the seat a couple of inches too far back, so that my Achilles tendons got 'twanged' a bit on every go-around and I had a lot of problems with Achilles tendonitis along with my PF (which is not unusual).

But really, there are so many possible ways to get a repetitive injury... I'm sure there are dozens of other mistakes that I could have made that would result in PF. That is why I feel that for someone like me it is crucial to stop ALL repetitive exercise and rest for a couple of months, at the worst part of PF. Once my feet were better, I could slowly add activities as I could tolerate them and see how it went. If something was hurting my feet, I'd just back off a little and wasn't nearly crippled by it.

At the height of PF, if it's severe like mine was, I think that for anyone it should be a very high priority to make substantial progress in healing. Since PF is commonly known to be a repetitive motion injury, it only makes sense to cut back on or eliminate any repetitive motion for a while, whether or not you 'know' it to be the problem. Once my feet improved, it only took me a couple of weeks to re-gain my muscle strength.

If I had continued riding, I never would have had a clue that my PF was due to cycling. I'd just have thought that it was taking me a very long time to get over PF.

Carole

john h on 10/31/02 at 10:09 (098798)

Leon: I have been using the recumbient bike for some years now since I stopped running. Our health club just got the newest high tech ones and are they neat. We have TV,s in our bike room and each bike you can select the tv you want to watch or put your on personal CD into the equipment in front of the room. You do furnish your on headphones. I do not know what these cost but I bet it must be several thousand dollars.

Leon S. on 10/31/02 at 17:47 (098835)

I can understand the onset of your PF coming from using the bike barefoot the way you say you did. As a matter of fact I can probably point to the specific time I ran barefoot on the beach this past summer as the beginning of my continuing pain, although, today was the first day I removed all shoe inserts-including sand residue- and had my 'best' pain day since it began. After reading your earlier post, I thought there might be some pedaling technique that I wasn't aware of.

Leon S. on 10/31/02 at 17:56 (098836)

John, I purchased a basic Vision Fitness bike (without all the heart monitoring stuff) for about $700 and am very happy with it. I use it the same way as you described where I watch videos of some shows that I tape during the week that I don't get to see otherwise. I also keep some hand weights nearby so that while I'm pedaling I use them to do some upper body tuning. What I really miss is jogging on these beautiful fall mornings. I guess I can use my regular street bike for that but I just got so used to getting up on a Sunday and going downstairs and doing it in the house.

Andrue on 11/01/02 at 03:23 (098869)

I am improving after my setback. I have finally lost (permanently I hope) the sensitivity to pressure along the underside of my feet. Even when I flex my toes upward I don't have much discomfort when pressing the soles of my feet.

My feet still feel a bit delicate though as if the Plantar Fascia isn't at full strength but things are looking good.

john h on 11/02/02 at 14:09 (099043)

Leon: I think in the final analysis that as long as you are peddling that baby it makes no difference what it cost. A motor scooter can get you from pont A to B same as a Lexus. I like my health club because it is also a social event i have a bunch of very expensive exercise machines I can use. I also do not have to deal with my wife and cats while riding at the club.