Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasiitis

Posted by lynn m on 10/22/02 at 20:39 (098107)

I just received a cortesone shot in my heel for plantar fasiitis.
1. How long will it take for the cortesone to take effect?
2. How long before patients can usually resume walking for exercise?
3. When my father had the same treatment, his doctor wrapped his foot for a week. Is that a typical treatment?
4. How long will this treatment last?

Thanks so much!

Re: plantar fasiitis

Jim C on 10/22/02 at 22:48 (098116)

Hi

First I'm not a doctor but I can speak from my own experience. After my first shot I was pain free within 48 hours, and what I found amazing was I got a shot in only one foot but both feet became pain free(go figure). Now the mistake my pod made was he told me I could run after 3 days as long as I iced when done. Wrong move, I made it about a half a block and had to limp home. So based on my experience I would wait at least a month after your pain free(better safe than sorry). I can honestly say my PF went from a minor annoyance to chronic that day so be very careful!
I returned for a second shot two weeks later and I got no relieve from it, it actualy felt worse. So my experience with cortisone shots was not a positive one and they don't seem to be real popular on this site. But I have talked with many people who have done very well by them. So I suspect you will be fine as most people problaly do.
I would recomend that you read the heel pain book on this site(free)and incorperate some of the conservative treatments into your daily routine.
Again be very careful!

Jim

angela b on 10/23/02 at 22:02 (098188)

I am about to receive my first cortisone shot in about two weeks to help with the plantar fasciitas that I have in my left foot. I was wondering how your treatment turned out and if you would recommend it.

angela b on 10/23/02 at 22:04 (098189)

I am about to have my first cortisone shot in two weeks for the plantar fasciitas that I have in my left foot. I was just wondering how your treatment turned out and if you would recommend it.

Mar on 10/24/02 at 07:49 (098210)

Everyone reacts differently. I have had cortisone shots 4 times in the last year and I have gotten no relief at all from them. Years ago I had cortisone shots for tennis elbow -- twice it worked and once it didn't. I hope you are one of those for whom it works. Mar

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/24/02 at 17:59 (098284)

Hi

A local steriod injection will do one of three things.

1. make your foot feel great. Still rest and don't walk for six weeks
2. Hurt real bad for a few days and then feel great. Still no walking for six weeks
3. No relief at all

Steriod injections can last from one day to a life time.
Taping is an excellent method for supporting and reduction the strain of the plantar fascia at the insertion

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:50 (098973)

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks since the shot and I think I feel worse than before the shot. I just guess I'm not one of the lucky ones to get relief from the shot.

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:53 (098974)

Well, unfortunately there is no relief at all. What is my next course of action? I just can't live like this.
Thank you.

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:57 (098975)

Unfortunately, the shot has not worked for me. It's been 2 weeks and I feel worse than ever. What are you doing as your next treatment step?

Jim C on 10/22/02 at 22:48 (098116)

Hi

First I'm not a doctor but I can speak from my own experience. After my first shot I was pain free within 48 hours, and what I found amazing was I got a shot in only one foot but both feet became pain free(go figure). Now the mistake my pod made was he told me I could run after 3 days as long as I iced when done. Wrong move, I made it about a half a block and had to limp home. So based on my experience I would wait at least a month after your pain free(better safe than sorry). I can honestly say my PF went from a minor annoyance to chronic that day so be very careful!
I returned for a second shot two weeks later and I got no relieve from it, it actualy felt worse. So my experience with cortisone shots was not a positive one and they don't seem to be real popular on this site. But I have talked with many people who have done very well by them. So I suspect you will be fine as most people problaly do.
I would recomend that you read the heel pain book on this site(free)and incorperate some of the conservative treatments into your daily routine.
Again be very careful!

Jim

angela b on 10/23/02 at 22:02 (098188)

I am about to receive my first cortisone shot in about two weeks to help with the plantar fasciitas that I have in my left foot. I was wondering how your treatment turned out and if you would recommend it.

angela b on 10/23/02 at 22:04 (098189)

I am about to have my first cortisone shot in two weeks for the plantar fasciitas that I have in my left foot. I was just wondering how your treatment turned out and if you would recommend it.

Mar on 10/24/02 at 07:49 (098210)

Everyone reacts differently. I have had cortisone shots 4 times in the last year and I have gotten no relief at all from them. Years ago I had cortisone shots for tennis elbow -- twice it worked and once it didn't. I hope you are one of those for whom it works. Mar

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/24/02 at 17:59 (098284)

Hi

A local steriod injection will do one of three things.

1. make your foot feel great. Still rest and don't walk for six weeks
2. Hurt real bad for a few days and then feel great. Still no walking for six weeks
3. No relief at all

Steriod injections can last from one day to a life time.
Taping is an excellent method for supporting and reduction the strain of the plantar fascia at the insertion

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:50 (098973)

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks since the shot and I think I feel worse than before the shot. I just guess I'm not one of the lucky ones to get relief from the shot.

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:53 (098974)

Well, unfortunately there is no relief at all. What is my next course of action? I just can't live like this.
Thank you.

lynn m on 11/01/02 at 20:57 (098975)

Unfortunately, the shot has not worked for me. It's been 2 weeks and I feel worse than ever. What are you doing as your next treatment step?