Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fibromatosis Q's

Posted by Donald on 10/22/02 at 21:19 (098109)

My Dr (DPM) told me i have plantar fibromatosis on the bottom of the arch on my right foot. i was told that the best thing to do would be to wait it out to see if it goes on its own. Ive had it for a year already and it has only got more painfull. My (DPM) was against the thought of surgery unless it is something i really really want and warned me that there is a good chance if the dont remove all of it that it can come back. I would like to know what you think would be good and your view on the Scess rate of this surgery. right now i want it taken out due to the pain, and i dont want to see if it goes away on its own in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years+ or even life long. Its effecting my work and my life. Thanks

Re: plantar fibromatosis Q's

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 09:15 (098136)

Donald,
What your doctor is telling you about surgery is correct. There are many good web sites on the internet that can give you more information on Plantar Fibromatosis.

Before you even consider surgery do all the research you can not only on the subject matter, but on the doctor you might be thinking to employ
if you decide to try surgery.

Always remember surgery comes with no guarantee for a cure and you could end up in worse shape. The foot is more complicated that many doctors want to admit. Cutting in one area certainly affects others.

You'll be providing yourself with a better understand of your condition and how it might be helped if you spend time in your local Medical Library reading the latest studies on treating your condition. Some of this can also be done over the internet.

Best of luck.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 10:56 (098139)

Donald,

I second Pauline's excellent advice.

One month ago I was scheduled to have surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from my right heel/arch. My pod performed an ultrasound were is was discovered that I had a wide thickening of the plantar fascia near the heel....his conclusion a large plantar fibroma...his suggestion..surgery.

The week before surgery I did alot of research and sought as much on-line advice as I could get. This led me to have questions that I needed to ask my Pod. I can definitely say that I did not receive all the important facts about the surgery....actually I was told the I would not miss the plantar fascia that was to be removed. I stopped in my Pods office and let the staff know that I had a couple important questions to ask my Pod about the upcoming surgery....and asked if he could call me either that day, evening, or sometime the following day. The staff person rudely told me that the Pod has other patients...and if I wanted to ask the Dr any questions I would have to schedule ANOTHER 'surgery counseltation' appointment later in the week. I left the office and cancelled the surgery. Also that same day I went to another Pod for a second opinion.

The second opinion also suggested surgery based on his firm belief in general that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed. However, he also suggested an MRI. I went back to my original Pod who then scheduled me for an MRI. Here's what the MRI revealed...........................

'39 yr old male has pain in the medial arch near heel' '

1. Large focal thickening of the central band of the plantar facia is noted at the plantar aspect of the medial arch with diffuse increased signal noted within its substance, approximately 8 cm distal to its calcaneal original. The MRI findings are consistant with a very chronic interfacial tear or developing plantar fibroma/interfacial fibrosis. Proximal and distal to this area the 3 bands appear normal in their signal intensity and morphology. It must be noted that there is no interfacila tear found. The plantar fat pad appears normal in its thickness and signal intensity

2. Mild tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus tendon. Due to a mild amount of high T2 signal fluid is noted around the tendon from its myotendinous origin to the knot of Henry. High signal fluid causing distention of the tendon sheath is consistant with tenosynovitis. (all other observances of the right ankle and forefoot are normal) '

Basically what this MRI proves is that have plantar fasiitis at the insertion of the heel bone....may or may not be a fibroma/tear. And remember...I was on my way to a fairly painful and debilitating surgery...that is often not a success in the long run.

With the MRI results I went back to the Pod...he then suggested that we will persue wearing the punched-out orthotics. Based on my reseach I suggested...a below the knee cast to protect the foot and brace it to prevent rupture of the tendon....he agreed.

So for now I'm wearing a removable walking cast during all day long for 3 weeks. In the morning and evening I apply cold and hot packs...to reduce the minor swelling and hopefully trigger some healing. On 10/31 I'll start wearing my newly adjusted 'punched out' orthotics. After 1 to 2 months of wearing the orthotics if there is no progress I will reconsider the surgery.

That's where I am with this now....hope my little adventure is of help to you.

caryn z on 10/23/02 at 13:35 (098156)

what are punched out orthotics?

Re: To Donald plantar fibromatosis Q's

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 18:32 (098185)

Donald,
Just a note to thank you for the valuable information you've shared. You've proven again that we are our truly responsible for finding out all be can about our conditions before proceeding with any suggested treatment.

Research is one valuable tool that we can't overlook.

I want you to know the information you've posted is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Re: Sorry meant to say To Dave

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 18:35 (098186)

My note should have said 'To Dave'. My mistake, sorry Dave.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 22:13 (098190)

Puched out orthotics are custom shoe inserts that have been modified to relieve pressure from the area of concern. My orthotics will have a recession/hole by the heel/arch area of the right foot where I have fascitis, and possible facial tear-developing fibroma.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 22:17 (098191)

Pauline,

My pleasure......just returning the favor for alot of good advice I received.

Sandy C on 10/24/02 at 17:06 (098277)

Donald,
I myself had/still have the exact same problem... I have it in both my feet..Three in my left foot and two in my right.. The left foot got unbearable.. The pain was just to much to stand.. I had been dealing with it for five years, so the time came to have it removed.. I was out of work a year, almost lost my job, I did loose my position though.. Anyway, this is my results... I now have nerve damage from my knee to my foot.. Which the doctor calls it, Paroneal Neuropthy.. Within six months, the plantar fibromatosis came back.. I know experience, more pain then I did before.. I have tingling, burning, pain, swelling,and numbness in my foot...And the doctor says there is nothing he can do for me now... I have tried to locate any info on the internet, but really havent come up with too much.. I am lost as what to do. If anyone has any sugestions, please feel free to offer.. This is a no end situation I have.. I have been asked many times was it worth it.. I have to say... If you only knew and understood the pain I went through for five years, the relief I had in those six months before it came back was heaven..

carynz on 10/27/02 at 15:48 (098439)

thanks for your answer. I have a pair of orthotics like that too but did not know that they were called punched out!! They were actually more comfy for a while than the regular orthotics but now I don't wear any because of the intense pain.

cheers Caryn Z

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 09:15 (098136)

Donald,
What your doctor is telling you about surgery is correct. There are many good web sites on the internet that can give you more information on Plantar Fibromatosis.

Before you even consider surgery do all the research you can not only on the subject matter, but on the doctor you might be thinking to employ
if you decide to try surgery.

Always remember surgery comes with no guarantee for a cure and you could end up in worse shape. The foot is more complicated that many doctors want to admit. Cutting in one area certainly affects others.

You'll be providing yourself with a better understand of your condition and how it might be helped if you spend time in your local Medical Library reading the latest studies on treating your condition. Some of this can also be done over the internet.

Best of luck.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 10:56 (098139)

Donald,

I second Pauline's excellent advice.

One month ago I was scheduled to have surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from my right heel/arch. My pod performed an ultrasound were is was discovered that I had a wide thickening of the plantar fascia near the heel....his conclusion a large plantar fibroma...his suggestion..surgery.

The week before surgery I did alot of research and sought as much on-line advice as I could get. This led me to have questions that I needed to ask my Pod. I can definitely say that I did not receive all the important facts about the surgery....actually I was told the I would not miss the plantar fascia that was to be removed. I stopped in my Pods office and let the staff know that I had a couple important questions to ask my Pod about the upcoming surgery....and asked if he could call me either that day, evening, or sometime the following day. The staff person rudely told me that the Pod has other patients...and if I wanted to ask the Dr any questions I would have to schedule ANOTHER 'surgery counseltation' appointment later in the week. I left the office and cancelled the surgery. Also that same day I went to another Pod for a second opinion.

The second opinion also suggested surgery based on his firm belief in general that a tumor is a tumor and should be removed. However, he also suggested an MRI. I went back to my original Pod who then scheduled me for an MRI. Here's what the MRI revealed...........................

'39 yr old male has pain in the medial arch near heel' '

1. Large focal thickening of the central band of the plantar facia is noted at the plantar aspect of the medial arch with diffuse increased signal noted within its substance, approximately 8 cm distal to its calcaneal original. The MRI findings are consistant with a very chronic interfacial tear or developing plantar fibroma/interfacial fibrosis. Proximal and distal to this area the 3 bands appear normal in their signal intensity and morphology. It must be noted that there is no interfacila tear found. The plantar fat pad appears normal in its thickness and signal intensity

2. Mild tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus tendon. Due to a mild amount of high T2 signal fluid is noted around the tendon from its myotendinous origin to the knot of Henry. High signal fluid causing distention of the tendon sheath is consistant with tenosynovitis. (all other observances of the right ankle and forefoot are normal) '

Basically what this MRI proves is that have plantar fasiitis at the insertion of the heel bone....may or may not be a fibroma/tear. And remember...I was on my way to a fairly painful and debilitating surgery...that is often not a success in the long run.

With the MRI results I went back to the Pod...he then suggested that we will persue wearing the punched-out orthotics. Based on my reseach I suggested...a below the knee cast to protect the foot and brace it to prevent rupture of the tendon....he agreed.

So for now I'm wearing a removable walking cast during all day long for 3 weeks. In the morning and evening I apply cold and hot packs...to reduce the minor swelling and hopefully trigger some healing. On 10/31 I'll start wearing my newly adjusted 'punched out' orthotics. After 1 to 2 months of wearing the orthotics if there is no progress I will reconsider the surgery.

That's where I am with this now....hope my little adventure is of help to you.

caryn z on 10/23/02 at 13:35 (098156)

what are punched out orthotics?

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 18:32 (098185)

Donald,
Just a note to thank you for the valuable information you've shared. You've proven again that we are our truly responsible for finding out all be can about our conditions before proceeding with any suggested treatment.

Research is one valuable tool that we can't overlook.

I want you to know the information you've posted is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Re: Sorry meant to say To Dave

Pauline on 10/23/02 at 18:35 (098186)

My note should have said 'To Dave'. My mistake, sorry Dave.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 22:13 (098190)

Puched out orthotics are custom shoe inserts that have been modified to relieve pressure from the area of concern. My orthotics will have a recession/hole by the heel/arch area of the right foot where I have fascitis, and possible facial tear-developing fibroma.

Dave R on 10/23/02 at 22:17 (098191)

Pauline,

My pleasure......just returning the favor for alot of good advice I received.

Sandy C on 10/24/02 at 17:06 (098277)

Donald,
I myself had/still have the exact same problem... I have it in both my feet..Three in my left foot and two in my right.. The left foot got unbearable.. The pain was just to much to stand.. I had been dealing with it for five years, so the time came to have it removed.. I was out of work a year, almost lost my job, I did loose my position though.. Anyway, this is my results... I now have nerve damage from my knee to my foot.. Which the doctor calls it, Paroneal Neuropthy.. Within six months, the plantar fibromatosis came back.. I know experience, more pain then I did before.. I have tingling, burning, pain, swelling,and numbness in my foot...And the doctor says there is nothing he can do for me now... I have tried to locate any info on the internet, but really havent come up with too much.. I am lost as what to do. If anyone has any sugestions, please feel free to offer.. This is a no end situation I have.. I have been asked many times was it worth it.. I have to say... If you only knew and understood the pain I went through for five years, the relief I had in those six months before it came back was heaven..

carynz on 10/27/02 at 15:48 (098439)

thanks for your answer. I have a pair of orthotics like that too but did not know that they were called punched out!! They were actually more comfy for a while than the regular orthotics but now I don't wear any because of the intense pain.

cheers Caryn Z