Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Sniper attacks

Posted by Necee on 10/22/02 at 23:40 (098121)

I'm shocked, disgusted and angry!

This has got to stop, when Americans can no longer take a walk in their neighborhoods, enjoy sidewalk cafes, and leisure activities outside with their children, then America has lost its freedom. To be living in total fear has got to be agonizing, I'm quite sure every person living in that area of the attacks feels like they are being stalked. I pray that no other innocent person looses their life to this sick-o, and that all children will be safe from his attacks.

I feel like he probably lives in the area, since closing major freeways in the vacinity of the shootings has always left the police empty handed.

My thoughts and prayers go to all the families who have lost loved ones during this rampage, and I pray that there will be good come from this.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/23/02 at 08:35 (098133)

There are some things that people have to agree on in order to have a civilized society. Not being a sniper and terrorizing people is one of them! I don't see how the police can ever catch him since he just shoots once and leaves. They get the road blocks up right away, but at 75 mph on the freeway, he's out of a five mile radius in less than five minutes. By the time anyone even calls 911, he's probably gone already.

I think he would be easiest to catch if he's someone with a psychological problem, since he might leave more clues. If it's a number of terrorists, then we might have a bigger problem.

It is a sad situation and my sympathy is with the families and friends of those shot.

Even though there are millions of people living in that area, so the sniper is targeting a relatively small number of them, still I think that my daily life would be changed if I were living there.

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/23/02 at 11:02 (098141)

I can't even begin to express my fear and dismay. My sister lives in Annapolis and while she feels safe there, she's still that she can go on base to purchase her gas. The only reason she feels safe there is that Annapolis is made up of all these windy little streets and you couldn't make a fast getaway there, ever, at any time of the day. I don't think you can get anywhere fast in that area.

As much as we are inundated with reports about it, down there, it is all they talk and think about. It's so terrifying and so frustrating that this person, or persons, can hold a whole area hostage. Let's hope he trips up soon and gets caught.

wendyn on 10/23/02 at 22:34 (098192)

We are thousands and thousands of miles away in a different country, and people here are fixated on the shootings. I just finished reading CNN for the fourth time today. I CANNOT imagine living anywhere near that area right now.

Re: Lets hope and pray that they have caught that sniper!!!! God bless our law inforcement!! (NM)

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:50 (098242)

Necee

Re: Yes!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 16:01 (098267)

Let's hope they caught him!

I don't understand why a white truck or van was spotted so many times, but now they are saying it was done through a hole in the trunk of a dark blue car. Maybe that will be explained at some point.

Let's hope that ballistics show their gun was THE gun, and that they can find sufficient evidence to prove it beyond any doubt, if these are the snipers.

Local channels are saying that the older man grew up and lived most of his life in Baton Rouge, where I lived before moving to New Orleans. I'm disgusted.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/24/02 at 18:37 (098288)

It's been such an unspeakable series of events...I, too, hope the two apprehended are the ones responsible so that this nightmare is over.

Any time that someone willfully hurts another, whole communities are affected. I have even seen that in my classroom. I have had years (when I taught older students) when stealing was a problem. It cast such a shadow over the community of students in the classroom as everyone had to be watchful and suspicious.

That happened to me my first year of teaching, back in 1980. I had a 4th grade class and a new little girl who stole everything she could get her hands on - my books, anything. She'd glue the inside page (where my name was) to the inside cover. I talked to her mother who basically said, 'Good luck: I can't do anything with her!' I worried and fretted over the situation which didn't improve. We had no counselors in elementary schools then to seek help from, and none of the more experienced teachers had any more suggestions for me. I finally told her that if it happened again, I would have to spank her. (That was in the days of spankings at school.) I desperately didn't want to and prayed she wouldn't take anything else. Of course, she did. So I had to follow through. We had to have another teacher witness it, and she looked over the girl's head and mouthed the words, 'Harder!' to me. I was shaking and about to cry. But she didn't steal any more. Then in a few months, her home burned down. I talked to the class, and they brought in all kinds of toys and clothes, even baby clothes for her mother as she was pregnant. I always hoped that showed her something important.

I was also pregnant that year and had my daughter a month before school was out. A retired teacher finished the year and had the class make a book of cards for me. The little girl wrote to thank me for helping her and told me that I was the first one who had tried to teach her right from wrong. The family moved over the summer, and I never saw her again. But I have thought of her every year and hoped that she learned her lesson and quit stealing.

Sometimes it's hard to make a difference. But it's always worth the effort!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Lets hope and pray that they have caught that sniper!!!! God bless our law inforcement!! (NM)

BrianG on 10/24/02 at 22:26 (098313)

I wouldn't call them snipers, shooters maybe! But I am extremely disapointed one of them was a veteran :*(

Let's hope it's over!
BrianG

Julie on 10/25/02 at 02:08 (098318)

Suzanne, you have wonderful instincts (as well as teaching skills!). I'm sure you've made a difference to every child you've ever taught. Thanks for telling this story.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/23/02 at 08:35 (098133)

There are some things that people have to agree on in order to have a civilized society. Not being a sniper and terrorizing people is one of them! I don't see how the police can ever catch him since he just shoots once and leaves. They get the road blocks up right away, but at 75 mph on the freeway, he's out of a five mile radius in less than five minutes. By the time anyone even calls 911, he's probably gone already.

I think he would be easiest to catch if he's someone with a psychological problem, since he might leave more clues. If it's a number of terrorists, then we might have a bigger problem.

It is a sad situation and my sympathy is with the families and friends of those shot.

Even though there are millions of people living in that area, so the sniper is targeting a relatively small number of them, still I think that my daily life would be changed if I were living there.

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/23/02 at 11:02 (098141)

I can't even begin to express my fear and dismay. My sister lives in Annapolis and while she feels safe there, she's still that she can go on base to purchase her gas. The only reason she feels safe there is that Annapolis is made up of all these windy little streets and you couldn't make a fast getaway there, ever, at any time of the day. I don't think you can get anywhere fast in that area.

As much as we are inundated with reports about it, down there, it is all they talk and think about. It's so terrifying and so frustrating that this person, or persons, can hold a whole area hostage. Let's hope he trips up soon and gets caught.

wendyn on 10/23/02 at 22:34 (098192)

We are thousands and thousands of miles away in a different country, and people here are fixated on the shootings. I just finished reading CNN for the fourth time today. I CANNOT imagine living anywhere near that area right now.

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:50 (098242)

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 16:01 (098267)

Let's hope they caught him!

I don't understand why a white truck or van was spotted so many times, but now they are saying it was done through a hole in the trunk of a dark blue car. Maybe that will be explained at some point.

Let's hope that ballistics show their gun was THE gun, and that they can find sufficient evidence to prove it beyond any doubt, if these are the snipers.

Local channels are saying that the older man grew up and lived most of his life in Baton Rouge, where I lived before moving to New Orleans. I'm disgusted.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/24/02 at 18:37 (098288)

It's been such an unspeakable series of events...I, too, hope the two apprehended are the ones responsible so that this nightmare is over.

Any time that someone willfully hurts another, whole communities are affected. I have even seen that in my classroom. I have had years (when I taught older students) when stealing was a problem. It cast such a shadow over the community of students in the classroom as everyone had to be watchful and suspicious.

That happened to me my first year of teaching, back in 1980. I had a 4th grade class and a new little girl who stole everything she could get her hands on - my books, anything. She'd glue the inside page (where my name was) to the inside cover. I talked to her mother who basically said, 'Good luck: I can't do anything with her!' I worried and fretted over the situation which didn't improve. We had no counselors in elementary schools then to seek help from, and none of the more experienced teachers had any more suggestions for me. I finally told her that if it happened again, I would have to spank her. (That was in the days of spankings at school.) I desperately didn't want to and prayed she wouldn't take anything else. Of course, she did. So I had to follow through. We had to have another teacher witness it, and she looked over the girl's head and mouthed the words, 'Harder!' to me. I was shaking and about to cry. But she didn't steal any more. Then in a few months, her home burned down. I talked to the class, and they brought in all kinds of toys and clothes, even baby clothes for her mother as she was pregnant. I always hoped that showed her something important.

I was also pregnant that year and had my daughter a month before school was out. A retired teacher finished the year and had the class make a book of cards for me. The little girl wrote to thank me for helping her and told me that I was the first one who had tried to teach her right from wrong. The family moved over the summer, and I never saw her again. But I have thought of her every year and hoped that she learned her lesson and quit stealing.

Sometimes it's hard to make a difference. But it's always worth the effort!

Suzanne :-)

BrianG on 10/24/02 at 22:26 (098313)

I wouldn't call them snipers, shooters maybe! But I am extremely disapointed one of them was a veteran :*(

Let's hope it's over!
BrianG

Julie on 10/25/02 at 02:08 (098318)

Suzanne, you have wonderful instincts (as well as teaching skills!). I'm sure you've made a difference to every child you've ever taught. Thanks for telling this story.