Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To all the animal lovers****

Posted by Necee on 10/23/02 at 00:37 (098123)

October is Adopt-a-pet month, spread the word and tell your friends to get a pet from the pound, and save a life.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: To all the animal lovers****who me? ;o)

carmen h on 10/23/02 at 08:31 (098131)

Yes!!! You can get pure breed animals at any rescue organization for almost half the price...shelters and animal control sometimes have them too. But mixes are just as nice...
;o)

dave r on 10/23/02 at 15:29 (098170)

i got one of my Goldens at a shelter for a quarter of the price. Papers and all. I have two golden retrievers and i love them to death. they are wonderful dogs with a compassion to please there owners. If i had a digital camera i would post them here. When i picked up my second golden from a shelter there were 5 golden retriever puppy's. I wanted to take them all home. If i had the room i would. We have three rabbits, 2 birds, and 2 dogs. With an acasional animal that Mary brings home that she finds. Last week she brought a possum in the house while i was taking a shower. yesterday she brought home an injured goose... Im with ya all the way Carmen! Adopt those pets! They bring more love and joy than you will ever expect......

carmen h on 10/23/02 at 15:59 (098172)

Let's all say a prayer for the goose... ;o)
right Dave? You guys are great!

Re: To: Dave

Necee on 10/24/02 at 00:02 (098197)

I'm glad that you found your pet at the shelter, I just wish more people would do the same, it seems like we have so many dog breeders that are in it to make money, and even more dogs that are roaming the streets wanting to be loved, and given a good home.

How long have you had your dogs, and what are their names?

In my opinion, I don't think anyone needs a pure breed to have a wonderful pet, mixed breeds are just as smart,loving and loyal. If only more people would go visit a shelter when they are searching for a family pet, just think of the lives that would be saved.

Dave, it sounds like you and your wife are great animal lovers, I applaude ya'll for helping those that can't help themselves. My family calls me Ellemae, I have raised and rescued so many 'critters' in my life, I just only wish I could save and have them all!

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: ~~~Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die~~~ (NM)

Necee on 10/24/02 at 00:03 (098198)

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 07:24 (098206)

Hi Necee, my oldest dog is named 'Goose'. After goose on top gun. He is 3 years old. My youngest dog is named Chesney. After the country music singer. Mary took the canadian goose that she found to an animal hospital and they had it put to sleep. Its not the first time she has brought home wildfowl. Two years ago she found a duck that had an infection in its foot. We nusred it back to health and she let it go three months later. We kept it in the basement. We even had a pool down there so it could swim around. The quacking in the morning was alittle hard to get used to but it sure made things interesting for awhile:)

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 09:05 (098216)

You're awesome Dave.

Re: To: Carmen

dave r on 10/24/02 at 09:08 (098219)

Thanks buddy!!

Re: Where do you live Dave?~~ Up North? (NM)

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:20 (098238)

Happy trails....

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 12:26 (098239)

Yes, i live in Wisconsin. I live in a little town right next to 'Horicon Marsh'. Its one of the largest inland marshes in the country. We have half a million canadian geese that stop there on there migration. Along with just as many ducks, swans and other critters. I love it!

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:48 (098241)

Oh Dave that sounds wonderful!!
We have those Canadian geese migrate to our farm here in Texas every winter, I just love seeing them return. They are so fun to watch, the farm next to ours has winter rye grass planted and they flock there by the hundreds, we can hear them for miles, and when they are all grazing it looks like the fields are covered with snow. Our farm has a 3 acre lake on it, and we get lots of wild ducks that stay there through the winter. I look forward every year to seeing them return.
One of my favorite movies was.....Fly Away Home, (I think that's the name) Where the father and daughter raise those canadian geese and then teach them how to fly south for the winter.

Happy trails....

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 12:54 (098243)

Thanks. Although a farm in Texas sounds really nice. I wonder if some of my birds fly down by you. Although i think that the birds here use the Mississippi flyway. I dont know.....Anyhow it would be great to see your place some time....

Re: Where do you live Dave?~~ Up North?

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:57 (098245)

They use the same flight path every year don't they??

I'll try to get some pictures this winter, and I'll send them to you.

Happy trails...

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 13:01 (098246)

I would love to see the pictures when you get them.......

Re: Necee

wendyn on 10/24/02 at 13:09 (098247)

The geese are on their way - been watching them fly away for the last few weeks.

Wish I was going too!!!!!!!!!!1

Necee on 10/24/02 at 13:51 (098250)

I'll be on the lookout Wendy! Wonder how long it takes for them to make it to Texas?

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:20 (098335)

Neecee for 2 years I flew a small Canadian built aircraft in Kansas to count geese and ducks. I was in the Air Force but we were tasked by the U.S. Government to count geese/ducks on a two day period in January of each year. This is done all over the country on that two day period. We would fly over all the large resorvoirs in Kansas and the U.S. Forest rep had a little square frame that he would hold up and count the geese inside that frame. He then would figure out how many frames in that resovoir. On some of these resorvoirs there would be literally millions of ducks and geese. If you threw a rock you could not miss one. There would always be many eagles circling to catch the sick and injured. It looked like all the ducks/geese in the world were congregating in these large resorvoirs on their way south..

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:22 (098336)

It takes them less time than it does for the Monarch Butterflys to fly from South America each year to the U.S.

Re: Very interesting John!

Necee on 10/25/02 at 22:55 (098367)

Thanks for the information on your flights to count geese, that sounds very interesting. I've always wondered how they knew how many birds were in certain areas, etc.
John you need to write a book!!!! Seriously
I have a friend who is a pilot, he now flys a helicopter for the local tv station here, and was a law inforcement pilot before retiring. He wrote an interesting book about his many years in law inforcment as a pilot. I'm sure you have hundreds of stories to tell, so get to writing.

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: john h -- an animal's man

nancy s. on 10/26/02 at 08:10 (098383)

so you flew to count geese and ducks, too, john. you've been everywhere and done just about everything a person can do while flying.

i'm sure you hurled no rocks, right? to all readers: john not only takes care of his own domestic animals but also feeds all of arkansas's wild-animal population right there in his own backyard.

nancy

Re: butterfly travels...

Suzanne D on 10/26/02 at 21:54 (098416)

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Mexico a year ago last spring. While visiting a college friend, we were able to go to the Monarch butterfly sanctuary where thousands upon thousands were starting to leave that mountain where they had spent the winter to journey back north. It was breath-taking: clusters of butterflies the size of hornets' nests hanging in the tall trees! There were literally so many flying around us that it sounded as if leaves were falling from the trees. I will always be grateful that my PF did not begin until 3 months after that trip my daughter and I made. I would never have been able to climb that mountain if my feet had not been 'normal' then. Even at that, our guide who spoke only Spanish, handed me his walking cane. He could see who needed it! My friend translated and explained to my daughter and I what he said. I also learned from a Reading Rainbow show taped in that same area that the butterflies who leave North America are not actually the ones who arrive: they lay eggs and die before they complete the journey; then the eggs hatch, and those butterflies continue the trip. Fascinating!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 10/27/02 at 18:55 (098449)

hey suzanne, my husband and i drove to mexico from maine around the same time you were there! january-february 2001. i'm glad you weren't bogged down with pf then. i had been for almost two years; part of the reason we were in mexico was to try to get some alternative help for my feet.

phil got to hike up and see all those monarchs, and he said it absolutely was a spiritual experience. my feet were not up to that hike -- plus i was exhausted from our trip that day trying to find angangueo; i won't go into great detail, but it was both spectacular and terrifying. my sister refers to it, from my email description, as our 'roadless road trip.' so i slept for 12 hours in angangueo while phil saw the butterflies (mariposas, si?). he took lots of pictures, and also bought some on the spot so i could see them right away.

it was only sometime in the 1970s that scientists discovered that winter monarch refuge. no one knew it existed until a scientist happened to be driving somewhere in that part of mexico and suddenly experienced a blinding blizzard ... of butterflies. it took him and a team a few years to find the exact monarch resting spot, if i remember correctly.

we stayed the longest time in san miguel de allende and patzcuaro. did you see either of those? we also went to san fernando, tula, and san luis potosi. i just loved mexico -- its central highlands. the people are so full of life, and the environment so colorful. we're talking about maybe going back next year.

nancy

john h on 10/28/02 at 11:52 (098484)

Nancy: I live near the duck hunting capital of the world (Stuttgart, Arkansas) and when deer season opens here some companies have to shut down. I do not hunt for anything expcept a good time. I do not eat wild duck or deer. I had a neighbor lady a few blocks from me who was known as the turkey lady as she kept some injured turkeys and sometimes eagles in her back yard. When running by her home it was not unusal to see a wild tukey perched on her fence. They never seemed to leave.I do not think people can even imagine what a very very large resorvoir can look like in the dead of winter when it is litterally covered solid with millions of .duck and Canadian geese. I did not know there were that many in the world much less one resovior. Some years I have a large covey of quail that visit my back yard and always have morning dove. My fox has disappeared but maybe back this winter. Last week someone brought a baby oppossum he had caught by accident in a trap. He was not injured but big enough to live on his own. I let him loose in the back yard to join the rest of the crowd. He was solid white and if you have never touched a oppossum their coat is as soft as cashmeir.

carmen h on 10/23/02 at 08:31 (098131)

Yes!!! You can get pure breed animals at any rescue organization for almost half the price...shelters and animal control sometimes have them too. But mixes are just as nice...
;o)

dave r on 10/23/02 at 15:29 (098170)

i got one of my Goldens at a shelter for a quarter of the price. Papers and all. I have two golden retrievers and i love them to death. they are wonderful dogs with a compassion to please there owners. If i had a digital camera i would post them here. When i picked up my second golden from a shelter there were 5 golden retriever puppy's. I wanted to take them all home. If i had the room i would. We have three rabbits, 2 birds, and 2 dogs. With an acasional animal that Mary brings home that she finds. Last week she brought a possum in the house while i was taking a shower. yesterday she brought home an injured goose... Im with ya all the way Carmen! Adopt those pets! They bring more love and joy than you will ever expect......

carmen h on 10/23/02 at 15:59 (098172)

Let's all say a prayer for the goose... ;o)
right Dave? You guys are great!

Necee on 10/24/02 at 00:02 (098197)

I'm glad that you found your pet at the shelter, I just wish more people would do the same, it seems like we have so many dog breeders that are in it to make money, and even more dogs that are roaming the streets wanting to be loved, and given a good home.

How long have you had your dogs, and what are their names?

In my opinion, I don't think anyone needs a pure breed to have a wonderful pet, mixed breeds are just as smart,loving and loyal. If only more people would go visit a shelter when they are searching for a family pet, just think of the lives that would be saved.

Dave, it sounds like you and your wife are great animal lovers, I applaude ya'll for helping those that can't help themselves. My family calls me Ellemae, I have raised and rescued so many 'critters' in my life, I just only wish I could save and have them all!

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: ~~~Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die~~~ (NM)

Necee on 10/24/02 at 00:03 (098198)

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 07:24 (098206)

Hi Necee, my oldest dog is named 'Goose'. After goose on top gun. He is 3 years old. My youngest dog is named Chesney. After the country music singer. Mary took the canadian goose that she found to an animal hospital and they had it put to sleep. Its not the first time she has brought home wildfowl. Two years ago she found a duck that had an infection in its foot. We nusred it back to health and she let it go three months later. We kept it in the basement. We even had a pool down there so it could swim around. The quacking in the morning was alittle hard to get used to but it sure made things interesting for awhile:)

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 09:05 (098216)

You're awesome Dave.

Re: To: Carmen

dave r on 10/24/02 at 09:08 (098219)

Thanks buddy!!

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:20 (098238)

Happy trails....

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 12:26 (098239)

Yes, i live in Wisconsin. I live in a little town right next to 'Horicon Marsh'. Its one of the largest inland marshes in the country. We have half a million canadian geese that stop there on there migration. Along with just as many ducks, swans and other critters. I love it!

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:48 (098241)

Oh Dave that sounds wonderful!!
We have those Canadian geese migrate to our farm here in Texas every winter, I just love seeing them return. They are so fun to watch, the farm next to ours has winter rye grass planted and they flock there by the hundreds, we can hear them for miles, and when they are all grazing it looks like the fields are covered with snow. Our farm has a 3 acre lake on it, and we get lots of wild ducks that stay there through the winter. I look forward every year to seeing them return.
One of my favorite movies was.....Fly Away Home, (I think that's the name) Where the father and daughter raise those canadian geese and then teach them how to fly south for the winter.

Happy trails....

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 12:54 (098243)

Thanks. Although a farm in Texas sounds really nice. I wonder if some of my birds fly down by you. Although i think that the birds here use the Mississippi flyway. I dont know.....Anyhow it would be great to see your place some time....

Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:57 (098245)

They use the same flight path every year don't they??

I'll try to get some pictures this winter, and I'll send them to you.

Happy trails...

Necee

dave r on 10/24/02 at 13:01 (098246)

I would love to see the pictures when you get them.......

wendyn on 10/24/02 at 13:09 (098247)

The geese are on their way - been watching them fly away for the last few weeks.

Wish I was going too!!!!!!!!!!1

Necee on 10/24/02 at 13:51 (098250)

I'll be on the lookout Wendy! Wonder how long it takes for them to make it to Texas?

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:20 (098335)

Neecee for 2 years I flew a small Canadian built aircraft in Kansas to count geese and ducks. I was in the Air Force but we were tasked by the U.S. Government to count geese/ducks on a two day period in January of each year. This is done all over the country on that two day period. We would fly over all the large resorvoirs in Kansas and the U.S. Forest rep had a little square frame that he would hold up and count the geese inside that frame. He then would figure out how many frames in that resovoir. On some of these resorvoirs there would be literally millions of ducks and geese. If you threw a rock you could not miss one. There would always be many eagles circling to catch the sick and injured. It looked like all the ducks/geese in the world were congregating in these large resorvoirs on their way south..

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:22 (098336)

It takes them less time than it does for the Monarch Butterflys to fly from South America each year to the U.S.

Re: Very interesting John!

Necee on 10/25/02 at 22:55 (098367)

Thanks for the information on your flights to count geese, that sounds very interesting. I've always wondered how they knew how many birds were in certain areas, etc.
John you need to write a book!!!! Seriously
I have a friend who is a pilot, he now flys a helicopter for the local tv station here, and was a law inforcement pilot before retiring. He wrote an interesting book about his many years in law inforcment as a pilot. I'm sure you have hundreds of stories to tell, so get to writing.

Happy trails...

Necee

nancy s. on 10/26/02 at 08:10 (098383)

so you flew to count geese and ducks, too, john. you've been everywhere and done just about everything a person can do while flying.

i'm sure you hurled no rocks, right? to all readers: john not only takes care of his own domestic animals but also feeds all of arkansas's wild-animal population right there in his own backyard.

nancy

Suzanne D on 10/26/02 at 21:54 (098416)

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Mexico a year ago last spring. While visiting a college friend, we were able to go to the Monarch butterfly sanctuary where thousands upon thousands were starting to leave that mountain where they had spent the winter to journey back north. It was breath-taking: clusters of butterflies the size of hornets' nests hanging in the tall trees! There were literally so many flying around us that it sounded as if leaves were falling from the trees. I will always be grateful that my PF did not begin until 3 months after that trip my daughter and I made. I would never have been able to climb that mountain if my feet had not been 'normal' then. Even at that, our guide who spoke only Spanish, handed me his walking cane. He could see who needed it! My friend translated and explained to my daughter and I what he said. I also learned from a Reading Rainbow show taped in that same area that the butterflies who leave North America are not actually the ones who arrive: they lay eggs and die before they complete the journey; then the eggs hatch, and those butterflies continue the trip. Fascinating!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 10/27/02 at 18:55 (098449)

hey suzanne, my husband and i drove to mexico from maine around the same time you were there! january-february 2001. i'm glad you weren't bogged down with pf then. i had been for almost two years; part of the reason we were in mexico was to try to get some alternative help for my feet.

phil got to hike up and see all those monarchs, and he said it absolutely was a spiritual experience. my feet were not up to that hike -- plus i was exhausted from our trip that day trying to find angangueo; i won't go into great detail, but it was both spectacular and terrifying. my sister refers to it, from my email description, as our 'roadless road trip.' so i slept for 12 hours in angangueo while phil saw the butterflies (mariposas, si?). he took lots of pictures, and also bought some on the spot so i could see them right away.

it was only sometime in the 1970s that scientists discovered that winter monarch refuge. no one knew it existed until a scientist happened to be driving somewhere in that part of mexico and suddenly experienced a blinding blizzard ... of butterflies. it took him and a team a few years to find the exact monarch resting spot, if i remember correctly.

we stayed the longest time in san miguel de allende and patzcuaro. did you see either of those? we also went to san fernando, tula, and san luis potosi. i just loved mexico -- its central highlands. the people are so full of life, and the environment so colorful. we're talking about maybe going back next year.

nancy

john h on 10/28/02 at 11:52 (098484)

Nancy: I live near the duck hunting capital of the world (Stuttgart, Arkansas) and when deer season opens here some companies have to shut down. I do not hunt for anything expcept a good time. I do not eat wild duck or deer. I had a neighbor lady a few blocks from me who was known as the turkey lady as she kept some injured turkeys and sometimes eagles in her back yard. When running by her home it was not unusal to see a wild tukey perched on her fence. They never seemed to leave.I do not think people can even imagine what a very very large resorvoir can look like in the dead of winter when it is litterally covered solid with millions of .duck and Canadian geese. I did not know there were that many in the world much less one resovior. Some years I have a large covey of quail that visit my back yard and always have morning dove. My fox has disappeared but maybe back this winter. Last week someone brought a baby oppossum he had caught by accident in a trap. He was not injured but big enough to live on his own. I let him loose in the back yard to join the rest of the crowd. He was solid white and if you have never touched a oppossum their coat is as soft as cashmeir.