Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medrol Pack- Side effects

Posted by Krissy on 10/23/02 at 08:13 (098128)

Hi everyone, I'm just getting finished my Medrol pack and I must say this is the most relief I felt in two years. I've been told it might only be temporary (10 days or so)- but at this point two weeks of minimal pain is a treat!!! The first night the side effects were very annoying- my heart felt like it was pounding through my chest and I stayed awake for the next 48 hours. But that diminished every day as the dose lessened. And also my cheeks are very red and look a little sunburnt. (and frequent urination too)
Last month I also bought the ankle tx ice pack from this site and I love it. It's so much easier than fussing with positioning the ice bc it's got the velcro. I'll keep you posted. - Kris

Re: Medrol Pack- Side effects

Jan H. on 10/23/02 at 15:08 (098168)

I tried the Medrol pack too, just about 2 weeks ago-pain is back now, but not as bad as it was. My side effect was NO SLEEP. :) Your right though, it was worth it to get some relief from the pain. I have a refill on the script and since I have to go back to work I suppose I will be refilling it before too long.

Kathy G on 10/24/02 at 14:59 (098256)

I never took the Medrol for my feet but years ago, I was put on it a few times for severe allergy symptoms. I must be the strangest person on earth because I didn't have any side-effects at all! But a friend of mine took it for a medical condition and he was totally off the wall. They live in a big house and he painted the entire thing in a day and a half!

I guess it produces great inflammation reduction but can only be taken occasionally because of its side effects. Cortisone is an amazing drug, though, isn't it?

Jan H. on 10/24/02 at 17:42 (098281)

How often can you take this? Does anybody know offhand?

john h on 10/25/02 at 09:58 (098332)

My wife just finished a medrol course for an infection in her sinus. She had no problems. I took one Medrol dose pack about 2 years ago and it did stop my back pain and foot pain with no side effects but as you know it is not a drug you can take long term.

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:03 (098334)

A medrol pack is normally 6 days. You start off with a high dose the first day and taper down each day. It is a strong steriod.

Jan H. on 10/23/02 at 15:08 (098168)

I tried the Medrol pack too, just about 2 weeks ago-pain is back now, but not as bad as it was. My side effect was NO SLEEP. :) Your right though, it was worth it to get some relief from the pain. I have a refill on the script and since I have to go back to work I suppose I will be refilling it before too long.

Kathy G on 10/24/02 at 14:59 (098256)

I never took the Medrol for my feet but years ago, I was put on it a few times for severe allergy symptoms. I must be the strangest person on earth because I didn't have any side-effects at all! But a friend of mine took it for a medical condition and he was totally off the wall. They live in a big house and he painted the entire thing in a day and a half!

I guess it produces great inflammation reduction but can only be taken occasionally because of its side effects. Cortisone is an amazing drug, though, isn't it?

Jan H. on 10/24/02 at 17:42 (098281)

How often can you take this? Does anybody know offhand?

john h on 10/25/02 at 09:58 (098332)

My wife just finished a medrol course for an infection in her sinus. She had no problems. I took one Medrol dose pack about 2 years ago and it did stop my back pain and foot pain with no side effects but as you know it is not a drug you can take long term.

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:03 (098334)

A medrol pack is normally 6 days. You start off with a high dose the first day and taper down each day. It is a strong steriod.