Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

nerve test with needle probe vs nerve stimulation

Posted by caryn z on 10/23/02 at 13:45 (098157)

hello there. today I saw a DPM who finally explained what he thinks I have going on with my left foot. So far my family doctor, neuro and ortho have not really provided me with too much insight so I keep going around in circles. It seems when I had nerve tests done in August which I thought was an EMG it really wasn't.

DPM says I should have had needles inserted into different nerve points and then the electrical stimulation reads the reaction to the shock. I know I did not have any needle probes inserted but they did put some little coloured tabs against certain spots on my ankle and leg including underneath my kneecap and then gave the electical stimulation.

This was painful enough for me (I have a really low threshold for pain, big chicken...) so I did not know there was m ore to this testing. Can anyone explain the difference and should I be going back to neuro for another EMG?

Thanks for any help with my question.

Caryn Z

Re: nerve test with needle probe vs nerve stimulation

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 09:07 (098218)

Cary~

You just asked should you go for 'another' emg..I just want to clarify that you didn't have one yet correct?
YES in my opinion you should get the EMG. It's not that bad.
You probably had teh NCV the first time.

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 09:45 (098223)

hi Carmen - from what the DPM told me it seems that NO I have not really had an EMG but I did have a nerve test performed which I assumed was an EMG until I read otherwise. Hence my question to find out if there are 2 types of this test but I am assuming No. Until I saw this DPM yesterday, I have been at a loss with my other doctors because they are good in their chosen field but not that familiar with all the A&B's of this problem it seems and I have been sent from doc to doc without getting any answers until now.

cheers to you!
Caryn Z

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 10:12 (098225)

Caryn,

It sounds to me like what you had was a Nerve Conduction Velocity test (NCV -- Carmen mentioned it, too). Both the NCV and the EMG are commonly used tests to check for nerve damage in the ankle & foot.

Sharon

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 15:03 (098257)

thank you!:)

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 09:07 (098218)

Cary~

You just asked should you go for 'another' emg..I just want to clarify that you didn't have one yet correct?
YES in my opinion you should get the EMG. It's not that bad.
You probably had teh NCV the first time.

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 09:45 (098223)

hi Carmen - from what the DPM told me it seems that NO I have not really had an EMG but I did have a nerve test performed which I assumed was an EMG until I read otherwise. Hence my question to find out if there are 2 types of this test but I am assuming No. Until I saw this DPM yesterday, I have been at a loss with my other doctors because they are good in their chosen field but not that familiar with all the A&B's of this problem it seems and I have been sent from doc to doc without getting any answers until now.

cheers to you!
Caryn Z

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 10:12 (098225)

Caryn,

It sounds to me like what you had was a Nerve Conduction Velocity test (NCV -- Carmen mentioned it, too). Both the NCV and the EMG are commonly used tests to check for nerve damage in the ankle & foot.

Sharon

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 15:03 (098257)

thank you!:)