Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ok this is what the doc said.

Posted by kay on 10/23/02 at 23:08 (098196)

i seen him earlier this week. i had the tt and pf sugery 6 18 2002.
he said well its been four months now and i'd say what ever progress you make in the next two months will be about all that you will have, because at six months you won't have any improvement after that.
is that true? what about all the talk of up to a year?
he also said i may as well forget about going back to work. so what the hell am i supposed to do now? sit on my butt for the rest of my life.........broke at that!
bummed but coping.
kay

Re: ok this is what the doc said.

Karen G. on 10/24/02 at 07:14 (098205)

Hi Kay,

I Had open PF release and TTS surgery March 4, 2002. Most of my improvement has come during the last month and a half. I had 2 cortisone injections in that foot 3 weeks ago and am pain free for the most part. I had originally had pain on the right side of my left heel. After surgery it appeared on the left side of that heel. It's been a long haul but I am better. Last week I played and walked 36 holes of golf and didn't have any pain. I hadn't played for 2 weeks before because it was too painful..but since the injections I have been much better.

So hang in there Kay, I think more time could be helpful to you. Maybe a shot would help you as well. Each case is different, but I did want to share my improvement with you.

Karen

dave r on 10/24/02 at 07:45 (098209)

Kay i am sorry that you ar still in pain. I too was forced to quit the job that i loved. I was making alot of money and i thought that i had my life on the right track. I could do what ever i wanted and never though that i would have an injury that would be so debilatating. That was six years ago. I am back to work, a desk job, and i am much better than i was. But i still have pf and i am unable to have that freedom. but i am grateful and i do keep my chin up as often as possible. Its difficult at times even after all this time. I hope that you have someone to share your feelings with and someone that will help you with your daily activities

kay on 10/24/02 at 18:41 (098289)

hi karen that is encouraging to hear. if i am on my feet very long at all i feel pain in the heel of my foot, not in the arch like i had before. but i think the main problem i am having is i think i have scare tissure build up around the nerves. i am stretching but i think its too late to break up scar tissue unless anyone here knows of a way.
kay

kay on 10/24/02 at 18:43 (098290)

i made pretty good money too at my other job. now they say find a sit down job. yeah right! doing what? i am not trained for anything like that. i am nearly 47 years old and thought i'd be at my job until i retired.
did you have surgery dave? what kind?
kay

Re: Scar Tissue

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 18:59 (098294)

Kay,

If you think you have a problem with scar tissue, talk to your Dr. about Kenalog and Wydase. Also, ultrasound treatments (from PT) can help reduce this problem.

Sharon

elliott on 10/24/02 at 19:01 (098295)

I've had noticeable improvement starting two years post-TTS release. I think a key is did the surgery you got do anything, solve your problem, change your symptoms somewhat, and then, even if still in pain or even worse in some ways, you just need time for the tissue and nerve to settle down. If you felt no real difference pre- and post-op, I'd tend to think you're not going to see much change after those 6 months.

kay on 10/24/02 at 19:20 (098297)

the only thing my doc said is that i have scar tissue.
what is kenalog and wydase?
kay

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 21:40 (098307)

Kay,

I did a search of this website to learn what can be done about scar tissue formation before making my decision to have TTS surgery. Kenalog is a steroid that is helpful in dealing with scar tissue formation. Wydase is another drug, one that some plastic surgeons use for the same purpose. If I remember correctly, these are usually injected into the area where scar tissue is forming.

If you want to learn more about it, do a search of this website and type in 'Kenalog'.

Sharon

kay on 10/25/02 at 11:46 (098350)

i did a search and from what i read it looked like those drugs were used to try to eliminate the scars on the outside of the foot, not the inside.
kay

Karen G. on 10/24/02 at 07:14 (098205)

Hi Kay,

I Had open PF release and TTS surgery March 4, 2002. Most of my improvement has come during the last month and a half. I had 2 cortisone injections in that foot 3 weeks ago and am pain free for the most part. I had originally had pain on the right side of my left heel. After surgery it appeared on the left side of that heel. It's been a long haul but I am better. Last week I played and walked 36 holes of golf and didn't have any pain. I hadn't played for 2 weeks before because it was too painful..but since the injections I have been much better.

So hang in there Kay, I think more time could be helpful to you. Maybe a shot would help you as well. Each case is different, but I did want to share my improvement with you.

Karen

dave r on 10/24/02 at 07:45 (098209)

Kay i am sorry that you ar still in pain. I too was forced to quit the job that i loved. I was making alot of money and i thought that i had my life on the right track. I could do what ever i wanted and never though that i would have an injury that would be so debilatating. That was six years ago. I am back to work, a desk job, and i am much better than i was. But i still have pf and i am unable to have that freedom. but i am grateful and i do keep my chin up as often as possible. Its difficult at times even after all this time. I hope that you have someone to share your feelings with and someone that will help you with your daily activities

kay on 10/24/02 at 18:41 (098289)

hi karen that is encouraging to hear. if i am on my feet very long at all i feel pain in the heel of my foot, not in the arch like i had before. but i think the main problem i am having is i think i have scare tissure build up around the nerves. i am stretching but i think its too late to break up scar tissue unless anyone here knows of a way.
kay

kay on 10/24/02 at 18:43 (098290)

i made pretty good money too at my other job. now they say find a sit down job. yeah right! doing what? i am not trained for anything like that. i am nearly 47 years old and thought i'd be at my job until i retired.
did you have surgery dave? what kind?
kay

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 18:59 (098294)

Kay,

If you think you have a problem with scar tissue, talk to your Dr. about Kenalog and Wydase. Also, ultrasound treatments (from PT) can help reduce this problem.

Sharon

elliott on 10/24/02 at 19:01 (098295)

I've had noticeable improvement starting two years post-TTS release. I think a key is did the surgery you got do anything, solve your problem, change your symptoms somewhat, and then, even if still in pain or even worse in some ways, you just need time for the tissue and nerve to settle down. If you felt no real difference pre- and post-op, I'd tend to think you're not going to see much change after those 6 months.

kay on 10/24/02 at 19:20 (098297)

the only thing my doc said is that i have scar tissue.
what is kenalog and wydase?
kay

Sharon W on 10/24/02 at 21:40 (098307)

Kay,

I did a search of this website to learn what can be done about scar tissue formation before making my decision to have TTS surgery. Kenalog is a steroid that is helpful in dealing with scar tissue formation. Wydase is another drug, one that some plastic surgeons use for the same purpose. If I remember correctly, these are usually injected into the area where scar tissue is forming.

If you want to learn more about it, do a search of this website and type in 'Kenalog'.

Sharon

kay on 10/25/02 at 11:46 (098350)

i did a search and from what i read it looked like those drugs were used to try to eliminate the scars on the outside of the foot, not the inside.
kay