Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Computer aided orthotics

Posted by Steve on 10/24/02 at 04:51 (098202)

Anyone had orthotics based on a computerized analysis of their gait ? if so, were they successful ?

Re: Computer aided orthotics

Mahatmelissama on 10/25/02 at 23:18 (098371)

Steve, I had a computer scan and semi-rigid orthotics done. My right foot felt alright but my needy left foot...just never got entirely comfortable. Finally I tried the SDOs and for me, those were soft enough for my tender feet to endure. Others on this site love hard rigid orthotics. Everyone is different, that is what makes it so hard about this thing.

R C on 10/26/02 at 23:27 (098418)

Tried it. No success whatsoever. Of course the effectiveness is a function of the doctor's skill: The doctor takes the computer data and prescribes the 'correction.' Mine tried three times and ended up with garbage each time -- my feet would hurt like heck just standing on the orthotics for a minute, incvluding the foot that wasn't injured. Maybe your doctor is better at this.

Kathy G on 10/28/02 at 09:58 (098479)

Hi Steve,

I am a few days late posting my answer so I don't know if you'll see it. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thng, but I have a pair of custom Foot Max orthotics which were made by my Pod. He did use a computer in order to make them. I walked across a pad that was hooked up to the computer and it generated pictures of my feet, indicating striking pressure, etc. He then ordered the orthotics based on this computer readout and his own recommendations. Because of my assorted issues (achilles tendonitis, other areas of tendonitis, exceptionally sensitive arches), he was not able to order orthotics that he necessarily felt would be of the most benefit to a person with PF. Despite that, the orthotics were a godsend and I literally do not take a step without them.

Recently, after two years, they were revamped as we thought they had flattened out a bit. This time, because my feet were not as painful as they were two years ago, he went ahead and made some changes such as increasing the amount of padding, building up the arches and building up the heel of my shorter leg. So far, after about three weeks, they seem even better and I am very optimistic.

So, yes, for me the computer program worked. Maybe you ought to post this question in the category relating to shoes/orthotics/inserts and you may get a better response.

Mahatmelissama on 10/25/02 at 23:18 (098371)

Steve, I had a computer scan and semi-rigid orthotics done. My right foot felt alright but my needy left foot...just never got entirely comfortable. Finally I tried the SDOs and for me, those were soft enough for my tender feet to endure. Others on this site love hard rigid orthotics. Everyone is different, that is what makes it so hard about this thing.

R C on 10/26/02 at 23:27 (098418)

Tried it. No success whatsoever. Of course the effectiveness is a function of the doctor's skill: The doctor takes the computer data and prescribes the 'correction.' Mine tried three times and ended up with garbage each time -- my feet would hurt like heck just standing on the orthotics for a minute, incvluding the foot that wasn't injured. Maybe your doctor is better at this.

Kathy G on 10/28/02 at 09:58 (098479)

Hi Steve,

I am a few days late posting my answer so I don't know if you'll see it. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thng, but I have a pair of custom Foot Max orthotics which were made by my Pod. He did use a computer in order to make them. I walked across a pad that was hooked up to the computer and it generated pictures of my feet, indicating striking pressure, etc. He then ordered the orthotics based on this computer readout and his own recommendations. Because of my assorted issues (achilles tendonitis, other areas of tendonitis, exceptionally sensitive arches), he was not able to order orthotics that he necessarily felt would be of the most benefit to a person with PF. Despite that, the orthotics were a godsend and I literally do not take a step without them.

Recently, after two years, they were revamped as we thought they had flattened out a bit. This time, because my feet were not as painful as they were two years ago, he went ahead and made some changes such as increasing the amount of padding, building up the arches and building up the heel of my shorter leg. So far, after about three weeks, they seem even better and I am very optimistic.

So, yes, for me the computer program worked. Maybe you ought to post this question in the category relating to shoes/orthotics/inserts and you may get a better response.