Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scrapple is NASTY stuff!!

Posted by Necee on 10/24/02 at 12:39 (098240)

From reading the thread below regarding moon pies.....how did we get from that to scrapple!! That's nasty stuff! But then again, I don't like balogna, spam, or any of that processed meat stuff. I really prefer veggies myself, and eating the stomach of a cute and fluffy little lamb sounds horrible to me. Just let the poor little things graze happily over the hillsides, and let the only parts cut off them be wool!!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Re: Scrapple is NASTY stuff!! DITTO NECEE!!!

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 15:21 (098263)

Re: ...Been catching up on all the FOOD posts!

Suzanne D on 10/24/02 at 15:27 (098265)

And it has been interesting reading! But now I'm hungry! :-) I just finished teaching extended school a few minutes ago and thought I'd check the board before I went home as my school computer is definitely faster than ours at home! Lately I've clicked on the board, gone to start supper, checked back on a message, clicked another, got up to do something else while waiting to read it...That's frustrating!

The regional food messages were quite interesting. I've never had scrapple or some of the other things mentioned although I did eat a few moon pies in my youth (never my favorite; rather have chocolate chip cookies and milk any day!). My daddy used to enjoy scrambled hog brains which my sister and I would make faces about. I'm basically a 'plain' foods person - chicken and potatoes, corn pudding and hot rolls or a good roast, potatoes, and carrots with a large glass of milk. Of course I like pizza, too. And I can't forget 'country ham' - that good but salty meat which makes you thirsty for hours afterwards. I wish I liked salads, but I don't. I AM eating the Healthy Choice Meals, Carole, instead of school lunches this year, and I wore a pair of jeans to our fall festival last Friday which I hadn't been able to wear in a couple of years, so I guess that is helping! I'm trying to avoid cookies after school (my weakness) and have a banana instead.

It's so interesting to read about different foods and experiences from all over the country and across the world!

Somehow these threads brought back to mind that segment from 'Hee Haw' in which Grandpa was asked 'What's for supper, Grandpa?', and he would go on to name with relish all the dishes which would bring a 'Yum, yum!' from those who asked. I used to watch that show with my daddy when I was a child. He thought it was funny, and since my mother didn't really care for it, I thought it was neat to sit and watch it with him!

Now to go home and figure out something to fix for supper!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Scrapple just gets a lot of bad press!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 16:26 (098273)

Scrapple was a big treat when I was a little girl about 4-5 years old. If a little girl can like it, it's got to be good! Scrapple is yummy and it just gets a lot of bad press. I wouldn't eat any nasty stuff like rhubarb back then.

Well, I still don't eat rhubarb. (shudder)

Carole C

Re: Scrapple is nasty, sorry!!

Nancy N on 10/24/02 at 16:52 (098276)

I'd rather eat rhubarb than miscellaneus pig parts... sorry!!

Re: Scrapple is yummy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 17:19 (098280)

I'll tell you what... if someone wants to invite us to a meal of scrapple and rhubarb, I'll eat your scrapple! You can have ALL the rhubarb.

Carole C

Jan H. on 10/24/02 at 17:46 (098282)

Especially if you make that rhubarb into pie! And have pierogies on the side. Never tasted scrapple. How about blood pudding, NOT

nancy s. on 10/24/02 at 21:47 (098309)

jan h, what are pierogies?

asking such questions has suddenly become my second job. i can't help it, you guys have run into the strangest stuff!

nancy

Nancy N on 10/24/02 at 22:34 (098314)

Oh, pierogies are wonderful, Nancy. I think they're Polish, but don't quote me on that. They're pasta pockets, sort of like ravioli, but are filled with potatoes and cheese, or potatoes and onions, or potatoes and whatever else someone thought to put in. They're really good with sour cream and grilled onions.

I feel really fortunate that I live in an area with a lot off ethnic restaurants--I've discovered Thai and Indian since I got here, and they're now two of my favorites. I will try almost anything once--but once might be enough!! (I am still drawing the line at stuffed stomachs, though!)

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:37 (098340)

The worst food in the world is the icky sticky okra that my wife sometimes prepares. I cannot even stand to look at it. Looks like glue! On the other hand I like fried breaded okra..

Re: I'm with you John!!

Necee on 10/25/02 at 22:39 (098361)

I'm with you John! I love veggies, but can't stand to eat slimy okra. Put a plate of fried okra in front of me though and I'm in 'hog heaven'.

Happy trails....

Necee

Nancy N on 10/27/02 at 16:30 (098445)

BTW, I found out from my grandmother this morning that she would absolutely NOT eat Hogmaw. And here I thought it was one of her favorites! Guess I was wrong :)

Re: Scrapple is NASTY stuff!! DITTO NECEE!!!

carmen h on 10/24/02 at 15:21 (098263)

Re: ...Been catching up on all the FOOD posts!

Suzanne D on 10/24/02 at 15:27 (098265)

And it has been interesting reading! But now I'm hungry! :-) I just finished teaching extended school a few minutes ago and thought I'd check the board before I went home as my school computer is definitely faster than ours at home! Lately I've clicked on the board, gone to start supper, checked back on a message, clicked another, got up to do something else while waiting to read it...That's frustrating!

The regional food messages were quite interesting. I've never had scrapple or some of the other things mentioned although I did eat a few moon pies in my youth (never my favorite; rather have chocolate chip cookies and milk any day!). My daddy used to enjoy scrambled hog brains which my sister and I would make faces about. I'm basically a 'plain' foods person - chicken and potatoes, corn pudding and hot rolls or a good roast, potatoes, and carrots with a large glass of milk. Of course I like pizza, too. And I can't forget 'country ham' - that good but salty meat which makes you thirsty for hours afterwards. I wish I liked salads, but I don't. I AM eating the Healthy Choice Meals, Carole, instead of school lunches this year, and I wore a pair of jeans to our fall festival last Friday which I hadn't been able to wear in a couple of years, so I guess that is helping! I'm trying to avoid cookies after school (my weakness) and have a banana instead.

It's so interesting to read about different foods and experiences from all over the country and across the world!

Somehow these threads brought back to mind that segment from 'Hee Haw' in which Grandpa was asked 'What's for supper, Grandpa?', and he would go on to name with relish all the dishes which would bring a 'Yum, yum!' from those who asked. I used to watch that show with my daddy when I was a child. He thought it was funny, and since my mother didn't really care for it, I thought it was neat to sit and watch it with him!

Now to go home and figure out something to fix for supper!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 16:26 (098273)

Scrapple was a big treat when I was a little girl about 4-5 years old. If a little girl can like it, it's got to be good! Scrapple is yummy and it just gets a lot of bad press. I wouldn't eat any nasty stuff like rhubarb back then.

Well, I still don't eat rhubarb. (shudder)

Carole C

Nancy N on 10/24/02 at 16:52 (098276)

I'd rather eat rhubarb than miscellaneus pig parts... sorry!!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/02 at 17:19 (098280)

I'll tell you what... if someone wants to invite us to a meal of scrapple and rhubarb, I'll eat your scrapple! You can have ALL the rhubarb.

Carole C

Jan H. on 10/24/02 at 17:46 (098282)

Especially if you make that rhubarb into pie! And have pierogies on the side. Never tasted scrapple. How about blood pudding, NOT

nancy s. on 10/24/02 at 21:47 (098309)

jan h, what are pierogies?

asking such questions has suddenly become my second job. i can't help it, you guys have run into the strangest stuff!

nancy

Nancy N on 10/24/02 at 22:34 (098314)

Oh, pierogies are wonderful, Nancy. I think they're Polish, but don't quote me on that. They're pasta pockets, sort of like ravioli, but are filled with potatoes and cheese, or potatoes and onions, or potatoes and whatever else someone thought to put in. They're really good with sour cream and grilled onions.

I feel really fortunate that I live in an area with a lot off ethnic restaurants--I've discovered Thai and Indian since I got here, and they're now two of my favorites. I will try almost anything once--but once might be enough!! (I am still drawing the line at stuffed stomachs, though!)

john h on 10/25/02 at 10:37 (098340)

The worst food in the world is the icky sticky okra that my wife sometimes prepares. I cannot even stand to look at it. Looks like glue! On the other hand I like fried breaded okra..

Re: I'm with you John!!

Necee on 10/25/02 at 22:39 (098361)

I'm with you John! I love veggies, but can't stand to eat slimy okra. Put a plate of fried okra in front of me though and I'm in 'hog heaven'.

Happy trails....

Necee

Nancy N on 10/27/02 at 16:30 (098445)

BTW, I found out from my grandmother this morning that she would absolutely NOT eat Hogmaw. And here I thought it was one of her favorites! Guess I was wrong :)