Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

with all this talk about food...

Posted by elliott on 10/24/02 at 16:01 (098266)

this from today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2002-10-23-stopgain_x.htm

Yeah, I know, there goes boring, negative, exercise-obsessed elliott mouthing off again about big 'O' that's NOHDB. Besides, that panicky researcher in the article makes it sound like very soon there'll be more big 'O' people in the universe than people in the universe. Anyway, no point in my constantly bringing this up; I should be happy looking forward to $30,000 annual health insurance premiums; that should just about cover ESWT too!

[]

Re: with all this talk about food...

Kathy G on 10/25/02 at 09:46 (098328)

Elliott,

I prefer to take a more optimistic view and believe that as people become more educated about the consequences of being overweight or obese, they will work harder and harder not to become such. I know that my college-aged daughter and her friends are very aware of these new studies and projections and it reinforces their belief that they are on the right track by eating healthy and exercising. And though I'm sure not every student at her college is attempting to live a healthy lifestyle, I would like to think that they are much more aware than students in the past of the growing epidemic of obesity in this country. By the way, I don't kid myself and no full well that she and her friends party and drink beer, but most of them do have a regular workout schedule. And I've seen the food in their kitchen and I know that she and at least one of her roommates buy sensible food. The other, who's as skinny as a rail, has terrible eating habits!

Re: with all this talk about food...

Kathy G on 10/25/02 at 09:46 (098328)

Elliott,

I prefer to take a more optimistic view and believe that as people become more educated about the consequences of being overweight or obese, they will work harder and harder not to become such. I know that my college-aged daughter and her friends are very aware of these new studies and projections and it reinforces their belief that they are on the right track by eating healthy and exercising. And though I'm sure not every student at her college is attempting to live a healthy lifestyle, I would like to think that they are much more aware than students in the past of the growing epidemic of obesity in this country. By the way, I don't kid myself and no full well that she and her friends party and drink beer, but most of them do have a regular workout schedule. And I've seen the food in their kitchen and I know that she and at least one of her roommates buy sensible food. The other, who's as skinny as a rail, has terrible eating habits!