Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running Out Of Options

Posted by Brenda M on 10/24/02 at 16:16 (098269)

I am a 48 year old female. I have had Diabetes for 35 years. I also have Diabetic Neuropathy, Fibromyalgia, and all the problems that go along with these. I have been treated for 10 years for a heel spur and Plantar Fasciitis. For the past 7 weeks I have been in a removable cast. Over the years I have had dozens of Cortisone shots that I can no longer take because of side effects on my glucose levels and heart. I have always worn specially made orthoditics, I have had several 4 week rounds of physical therapy. My endocrinologist does not want me on anti-infammatory medications because of stomach problems from the Diabetes. The only options I have been given are 8 more weeks in the leg brace I have been wearing for 7 weeks. If that does not relieve me the a treatment that would burst the tissue in my heel. I am not sure the name but was told I would have to travel to Atlant. It is not covered by any insurance and cost $1000.00. If that does not work then heel surgery but only as a last resort and that it would be bad for me to have it.
What should I do I have had NO relief from pain.

Re: Running Out Of Options

Ellen J on 10/24/02 at 20:30 (098302)

Brenda,
I'm not a doctor, and hopefully the doctors here can help you. I was recently talking to a friend of mine who has fibromyalgia (she does not have Plantar F.) and she says trigger point therapy helps her alot. Also, she's taking a new drug (Effexor, or something like that) which is helping her fibromylagia tremendously. I imagine you have tried everything, but thought I would ask. The trigger point therapy and gentle stretching are helping my P.F.
I hope someone can help you find the answer for your feet.
Ellen J.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/25/02 at 22:58 (098369)

Brenda:

I think it is important to carefully segregate all possible causes of your heel pain and try to figure out how much each factor is contributing to the pain. Do not even think of surgery until this is done!

What type of leg brace is being suggested?
Have you tried night splints?
Has your doctor discussed ESWT with you?
Ed

Brenda M on 10/27/02 at 07:53 (098424)

Thank yo for your response. I am wearing a removable cast up to the knee it help greatly with the pain. I am fairly comfortable with it on because it completely immobilizes my foot and ankle. Yes I have been wearing night splints for 4 years and they do help with the calf cramps at night and during the day they are much less in frequency. I was having 5-6 at night and 2-3 during the day. These were very severe cramps that left me unable to walk for a while after on struck.My doctor is considering ESWT as my next step. But I had no information on it until your response, Thanks. He does agree with you that surgery would be a LAST resort.
Thank you so much I feel much better after getting this information.

pala on 10/27/02 at 20:19 (098460)

what is a removable cast?

Brenda M on 10/30/02 at 14:22 (098682)

That's what the docotr called it. It is really a big black splint with steel plates that run up the side. It velcros on and has a big heavy walking plateform buildt in.

Ellen J on 10/24/02 at 20:30 (098302)

Brenda,
I'm not a doctor, and hopefully the doctors here can help you. I was recently talking to a friend of mine who has fibromyalgia (she does not have Plantar F.) and she says trigger point therapy helps her alot. Also, she's taking a new drug (Effexor, or something like that) which is helping her fibromylagia tremendously. I imagine you have tried everything, but thought I would ask. The trigger point therapy and gentle stretching are helping my P.F.
I hope someone can help you find the answer for your feet.
Ellen J.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/25/02 at 22:58 (098369)

Brenda:

I think it is important to carefully segregate all possible causes of your heel pain and try to figure out how much each factor is contributing to the pain. Do not even think of surgery until this is done!

What type of leg brace is being suggested?
Have you tried night splints?
Has your doctor discussed ESWT with you?
Ed

Brenda M on 10/27/02 at 07:53 (098424)

Thank yo for your response. I am wearing a removable cast up to the knee it help greatly with the pain. I am fairly comfortable with it on because it completely immobilizes my foot and ankle. Yes I have been wearing night splints for 4 years and they do help with the calf cramps at night and during the day they are much less in frequency. I was having 5-6 at night and 2-3 during the day. These were very severe cramps that left me unable to walk for a while after on struck.My doctor is considering ESWT as my next step. But I had no information on it until your response, Thanks. He does agree with you that surgery would be a LAST resort.
Thank you so much I feel much better after getting this information.

pala on 10/27/02 at 20:19 (098460)

what is a removable cast?

Brenda M on 10/30/02 at 14:22 (098682)

That's what the docotr called it. It is really a big black splint with steel plates that run up the side. It velcros on and has a big heavy walking plateform buildt in.