Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do other p.f. sufferers have transient pains?

Posted by Ellen J on 10/24/02 at 20:23 (098300)

I am figuring out more pieces to the P.F. puzzle but one thing that I'm confused about is that the pains in my feet sometimes last only a few seconds, then disappear for days. Sometimes my arch will be sore if I touch it, and then when I touch that same arch a few minutes later the pain is gone and I can rub the area with no discomfort. Sometimes a pain will appear while I'm walking and then be gone half an hour later...it goes on and on like that. Also, the pains seem very much connected to the muscles in the hips, hamstrings and calves. If I press on my calf, pain will start up in my foot. If I lie on my sore hip, I'll get pain in my arch. All of this is very strange, but maybe it is normal for P.F. sufferers?
Just thought I would ask all you other P.F. people out there.
Ellen J.

Re: Do other p.f. sufferers have transient pains?

nancy s. on 10/24/02 at 21:13 (098303)

hi ellen, what you describe is very familiar to me and probably will be to many who read your post. when my pf and tendonitises were acute, i had to work hard at not freaking out over every new pain, because i understood, in time (a long time, actually!), that most were temporary so long as i took good care of my flippers.

even now, when i'm much better, i have some harder days than others, without much scientific explanation that i can figure out. sometimes on a bad day i'll have foot pain where i never even had it before. at this point i usually chalk it up to vulnerable feet and tendons, period, and consider coping with it a part of what will be lifelong management of my feet.

it takes some mind work not to let new, brief pains take over your view of life, but you're probably there already. and i'm sure you know when to see a doc, if a pain persists and should be looked into.

nancy

Andrue on 10/25/02 at 03:01 (098319)

That sounds very familiar. I can't even relate the changes to whether I walk or not. I'd walked a bit earlier this week (half an hour on Tuesday) so didn't walk on Wed. or Thurs. today my feet are slightly worse than they were on Thursday - go figure!

Ellen J on 10/25/02 at 11:30 (098346)

Hi Nancy,
What you describe does sound like my feet. I am getting pains in some very odd places these days, but finally I am not worrying about it as much anymore. I also figure that now that I've had this for 3.5 yrs, I will probably always have fragile feet. Too bad, as I used to hope I would be able to run again, since I loved running so much. However, after a couple of episodes of not being able to do more than hobble around, I am really appreciating just being able to walk mostly pain-free.
You are right that most are temporary, and I'm glad your feet are feeling better--at least, that is what it sounds like.
Ellen

Ellen J on 10/25/02 at 11:37 (098347)

Hi Andrue,
One thing I just discovered is that if I sit for too long (like the 6 hr. drive I took two days ago), my feet are worse afterward. That seemed very strange at first until I realized that it must have been because my calf muscles tightened up from being immobile for so long. I was a passenger in the car, so I wasn't even using my feet to press a gas, brake or clutch pedal. The other thing I discovered recently was that if I keep my calves, hamstrings and hip flexors stretched (really gently), my feet improve. I have overdone it and made them worse by stretching, but am figuring out exactly how to go about it. I also massage my calves before stretching to warm them up a bit. I am wondering if tight muscles on some days can play a role in pain fluctuations. I definitely feel tugging in my calves and/or hamstrings on my bad days.
Ellen J.

Andrue on 10/26/02 at 06:02 (098377)

Interesting points. My feet usually seem better after I've been driving so you may be onto that. What also seems to aggravate them is sitting with my knees almost at 90 degrees as I have to at work.

nancy s. on 10/26/02 at 08:04 (098382)

ellen, i answered your post to me yesterday, but i guess it's lost due to the board's technical problems yesterday. i can't remember what i said! something about 'fragile feet.' that term describes perfectly what i feel left with after three years of pf and tendonitises. i manage most days not to feel unhappy about it, since i can now walk and work again, and for a long time i thought that would never happen.

i'm sorry if you find you can't run again. i know you'll miss it, but at the same time i believe you'll find something else uplifting and spirited to turn to instead.

nancy

Necee on 10/26/02 at 12:41 (098396)

I've had the same sensation before, but can't explain it's origin. The feeling comes and goes and is sometimes more intense than others in certain areas. Last week I had this terrible pain on the side of my little toe every time I rubbed it, but for now its gone. I still have this weird tingling pain on the ball of my foot, with nothing being changed as far as shoes, etc I just can't figure this one out.

Happy trails...

Necee

nancy s. on 10/24/02 at 21:13 (098303)

hi ellen, what you describe is very familiar to me and probably will be to many who read your post. when my pf and tendonitises were acute, i had to work hard at not freaking out over every new pain, because i understood, in time (a long time, actually!), that most were temporary so long as i took good care of my flippers.

even now, when i'm much better, i have some harder days than others, without much scientific explanation that i can figure out. sometimes on a bad day i'll have foot pain where i never even had it before. at this point i usually chalk it up to vulnerable feet and tendons, period, and consider coping with it a part of what will be lifelong management of my feet.

it takes some mind work not to let new, brief pains take over your view of life, but you're probably there already. and i'm sure you know when to see a doc, if a pain persists and should be looked into.

nancy

Andrue on 10/25/02 at 03:01 (098319)

That sounds very familiar. I can't even relate the changes to whether I walk or not. I'd walked a bit earlier this week (half an hour on Tuesday) so didn't walk on Wed. or Thurs. today my feet are slightly worse than they were on Thursday - go figure!

Ellen J on 10/25/02 at 11:30 (098346)

Hi Nancy,
What you describe does sound like my feet. I am getting pains in some very odd places these days, but finally I am not worrying about it as much anymore. I also figure that now that I've had this for 3.5 yrs, I will probably always have fragile feet. Too bad, as I used to hope I would be able to run again, since I loved running so much. However, after a couple of episodes of not being able to do more than hobble around, I am really appreciating just being able to walk mostly pain-free.
You are right that most are temporary, and I'm glad your feet are feeling better--at least, that is what it sounds like.
Ellen

Ellen J on 10/25/02 at 11:37 (098347)

Hi Andrue,
One thing I just discovered is that if I sit for too long (like the 6 hr. drive I took two days ago), my feet are worse afterward. That seemed very strange at first until I realized that it must have been because my calf muscles tightened up from being immobile for so long. I was a passenger in the car, so I wasn't even using my feet to press a gas, brake or clutch pedal. The other thing I discovered recently was that if I keep my calves, hamstrings and hip flexors stretched (really gently), my feet improve. I have overdone it and made them worse by stretching, but am figuring out exactly how to go about it. I also massage my calves before stretching to warm them up a bit. I am wondering if tight muscles on some days can play a role in pain fluctuations. I definitely feel tugging in my calves and/or hamstrings on my bad days.
Ellen J.

Andrue on 10/26/02 at 06:02 (098377)

Interesting points. My feet usually seem better after I've been driving so you may be onto that. What also seems to aggravate them is sitting with my knees almost at 90 degrees as I have to at work.

nancy s. on 10/26/02 at 08:04 (098382)

ellen, i answered your post to me yesterday, but i guess it's lost due to the board's technical problems yesterday. i can't remember what i said! something about 'fragile feet.' that term describes perfectly what i feel left with after three years of pf and tendonitises. i manage most days not to feel unhappy about it, since i can now walk and work again, and for a long time i thought that would never happen.

i'm sorry if you find you can't run again. i know you'll miss it, but at the same time i believe you'll find something else uplifting and spirited to turn to instead.

nancy

Necee on 10/26/02 at 12:41 (098396)

I've had the same sensation before, but can't explain it's origin. The feeling comes and goes and is sometimes more intense than others in certain areas. Last week I had this terrible pain on the side of my little toe every time I rubbed it, but for now its gone. I still have this weird tingling pain on the ball of my foot, with nothing being changed as far as shoes, etc I just can't figure this one out.

Happy trails...

Necee