Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel for peripheral neuropathy

Posted by Judy H. on 10/24/02 at 21:37 (098306)

Has anyone has the tarsal tunnel surgery to clean out PN? My podiatrist here in Tulsa learned the procedure from Dr. Dellon that is mentioned on this site often. Few doctors in Tulsa have heard of this and are sceptical at best.
My feet were done 2 months ago. First surgery set off the pain so much in other foot that doc did second foot four days after first. Burning pain in toes somewhat better. The tunnels were packed with yellow mushy nerves and fatty deposits. Doc is still optimistic that I will improve. Now I have tight burning bands of pain around my ankle and across top of foot. I also had neuroplasty (whatever that is).
No painkillers seem to help. I have not slept in weeks. I mean not one hour. Went to sleep disorder clinic. Doc says it is pain until pain relief not much they can do to help me.

I have had burning feet for 3 years, but now the surgery problems have added not taken away.

Comments appreciated.
Do people give out their e-mail addresses on this site for direct responses or is this a bad idea?

Re: tarsal tunnel for peripheral neuropathy

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 23:44 (098315)

hi Judy H.

I've had my email address on this site and have received quite a few personal replies which have lifted my spirits greatly. Those of you who have emailed me directly know who you are and I thank you :)

If you want to add your address in the optional/hidden box and see what you get, you can always delete it later on.

I have taken the liberty of sending your post to my mother, Val who also suffers with Peripheal Neuropathy (3 yrs now) and is currently undergoing a plasma exchange treatment to see if anything changes. She has just founded a support group in Calgary, Alberta Canada and after her 2nd meeting has a membership of 35+ now. Your symptoms are very similiar to hers and she may find your message of interest to share with her group at their next meeting.

Cheers from British Columbia

Caryn Z

Maria A. on 10/25/02 at 10:46 (098343)

Judy,

Have you tried Neurontin at all for the pain? It helps with a lot of the nerve pain.

Maria A.

Judy H. on 10/26/02 at 11:09 (098389)

Maria:
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have taken Neurontin for 3 years. I was up to 2400 mg. daily before the surgery. Now am working my way back up. 1600 mg. now. I never could tell it helped that much, but then after I quit Methadone cold turkey ( I did not know any better and doc did not tell) and Neurontin, something happened to foot not operated on. The pain was so unbearable even with morphine IV that doc could not see solution other than to operate on right foot also. This was 4 days after left foot. My doc called Dr. Dellon in Baltimore and he had never had that happen. My doc went to Johns Hoplins to learn the procedure.
Now depression and anxiety have begun for first time. I don't know it that is the Durgesic patch (50mg) or the entire ordeal that has blasted my mood.
I have begun Celexa today. I have tried for 2 months for the depression to get better.

Keep in touch.

Judy H. on 10/26/02 at 11:11 (098390)

Caryn z: Thanks for comments. All help me know I am not alone with this ordeal.

Ellen F. on 10/26/02 at 12:22 (098395)

hi judy, i have been through the surgical ordeals to, but not with my feet. since 1993 i have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 were major ones including almost losing a kidney. I'd like to say that I didn't have depression, and I tried very hard not to be and to have positive thoughts, but when i faced almost losing the total use of my right hand due to a condition called avascular necrosis, i was at the end of my rope. months of pain and agony, hurt to even put my hand on the steering wheel to drive. i searched for months to get answers, called Mayo Clinic and finally found a Dr. that could help me. Did that help the depression, no. I finally broke down almost completely, and ended up in counselling and on various anti-depressants which helped the anxiety and depression. you have been through alot, and do i think surgery and drugs can affect the mood, yes for me they all did. do i think you can overcome your depression, yes you can. When you hurt and you don't feel like anybody really understands, it makes it worse. be assured that i understand along with the other people here, somehow maybe we can encourage each other and there will be 'light at the end of the tunnel'. I have found it very much encouraging especially to be in contact with 'real people' that have had and do have the 'real problem'. we need to keep hoping for a 'real solution' and maybe we can together. I will pray that you get relief from your pain both physical and mental.

margaret T. on 10/30/02 at 11:13 (098667)

Judy -- I haven't experienced tarsal tunnel problems, but Dr. Dellon did operate on my arm and hand for cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome several years ago,and I was back in working order after 8 weeks. Sounds like you could use a second opinion from him! Baltimore is a long way from Oklahoma, but he also has an office in Tuscon, Arizona. (Institute of Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Southwest).

I'm completely sold on this surgeon. The guy is brilliant. My neuro doc says Dellon's technique is elegant and cutting-edge (no pun intended). You might want to check out his web site. It's not very well designed, but you can obtain his brochure on tarsal tunnel syndrome. You can also obtain a copy by calling (410) 467-5400.

Since I'm also a photojournalist, I've worked with him on three stories, one of which involved a foot. I watched the surgery and was amazed, not only at Dr. Dellon's technique but the patient's almost immediate pain relief. The patient was from NY state, and other medical experts told him, 'Don't let anyone touch your foot except Dr. Dellon.

Christy E on 11/14/02 at 15:10 (100160)

Judy H.
My father lives in Tulsa and I believe has the same problem. The Dr has mentioned surgery as a last resort. I am curious who your Dr is. My mom and dad are trying to decide to just send my dad back to work or is this truly his diagnosis and problem. Did you ever go to a Neurologist to aid in this diagnosis? My dad is going for a second opinion to a Neurologist on Monday. I am at my wits end with the whole situation, and I don't know what to do to help my dad. All of the symptoms I have been reading about describe my dad's pain.
Thanks,
Christy E.

caryn z on 10/24/02 at 23:44 (098315)

hi Judy H.

I've had my email address on this site and have received quite a few personal replies which have lifted my spirits greatly. Those of you who have emailed me directly know who you are and I thank you :)

If you want to add your address in the optional/hidden box and see what you get, you can always delete it later on.

I have taken the liberty of sending your post to my mother, Val who also suffers with Peripheal Neuropathy (3 yrs now) and is currently undergoing a plasma exchange treatment to see if anything changes. She has just founded a support group in Calgary, Alberta Canada and after her 2nd meeting has a membership of 35+ now. Your symptoms are very similiar to hers and she may find your message of interest to share with her group at their next meeting.

Cheers from British Columbia

Caryn Z

Maria A. on 10/25/02 at 10:46 (098343)

Judy,

Have you tried Neurontin at all for the pain? It helps with a lot of the nerve pain.

Maria A.

Judy H. on 10/26/02 at 11:09 (098389)

Maria:
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have taken Neurontin for 3 years. I was up to 2400 mg. daily before the surgery. Now am working my way back up. 1600 mg. now. I never could tell it helped that much, but then after I quit Methadone cold turkey ( I did not know any better and doc did not tell) and Neurontin, something happened to foot not operated on. The pain was so unbearable even with morphine IV that doc could not see solution other than to operate on right foot also. This was 4 days after left foot. My doc called Dr. Dellon in Baltimore and he had never had that happen. My doc went to Johns Hoplins to learn the procedure.
Now depression and anxiety have begun for first time. I don't know it that is the Durgesic patch (50mg) or the entire ordeal that has blasted my mood.
I have begun Celexa today. I have tried for 2 months for the depression to get better.

Keep in touch.

Judy H. on 10/26/02 at 11:11 (098390)

Caryn z: Thanks for comments. All help me know I am not alone with this ordeal.

Ellen F. on 10/26/02 at 12:22 (098395)

hi judy, i have been through the surgical ordeals to, but not with my feet. since 1993 i have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 were major ones including almost losing a kidney. I'd like to say that I didn't have depression, and I tried very hard not to be and to have positive thoughts, but when i faced almost losing the total use of my right hand due to a condition called avascular necrosis, i was at the end of my rope. months of pain and agony, hurt to even put my hand on the steering wheel to drive. i searched for months to get answers, called Mayo Clinic and finally found a Dr. that could help me. Did that help the depression, no. I finally broke down almost completely, and ended up in counselling and on various anti-depressants which helped the anxiety and depression. you have been through alot, and do i think surgery and drugs can affect the mood, yes for me they all did. do i think you can overcome your depression, yes you can. When you hurt and you don't feel like anybody really understands, it makes it worse. be assured that i understand along with the other people here, somehow maybe we can encourage each other and there will be 'light at the end of the tunnel'. I have found it very much encouraging especially to be in contact with 'real people' that have had and do have the 'real problem'. we need to keep hoping for a 'real solution' and maybe we can together. I will pray that you get relief from your pain both physical and mental.

margaret T. on 10/30/02 at 11:13 (098667)

Judy -- I haven't experienced tarsal tunnel problems, but Dr. Dellon did operate on my arm and hand for cubital and carpal tunnel syndrome several years ago,and I was back in working order after 8 weeks. Sounds like you could use a second opinion from him! Baltimore is a long way from Oklahoma, but he also has an office in Tuscon, Arizona. (Institute of Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Southwest).

I'm completely sold on this surgeon. The guy is brilliant. My neuro doc says Dellon's technique is elegant and cutting-edge (no pun intended). You might want to check out his web site. It's not very well designed, but you can obtain his brochure on tarsal tunnel syndrome. You can also obtain a copy by calling (410) 467-5400.

Since I'm also a photojournalist, I've worked with him on three stories, one of which involved a foot. I watched the surgery and was amazed, not only at Dr. Dellon's technique but the patient's almost immediate pain relief. The patient was from NY state, and other medical experts told him, 'Don't let anyone touch your foot except Dr. Dellon.

Christy E on 11/14/02 at 15:10 (100160)

Judy H.
My father lives in Tulsa and I believe has the same problem. The Dr has mentioned surgery as a last resort. I am curious who your Dr is. My mom and dad are trying to decide to just send my dad back to work or is this truly his diagnosis and problem. Did you ever go to a Neurologist to aid in this diagnosis? My dad is going for a second opinion to a Neurologist on Monday. I am at my wits end with the whole situation, and I don't know what to do to help my dad. All of the symptoms I have been reading about describe my dad's pain.
Thanks,
Christy E.