Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

normal ultrasound scan

Posted by Peter F on 10/25/02 at 09:50 (098329)

Dear doctors I have had PF pain for 2 yrs now -I have not had injection or ESWT because there is no tender heel spot anymore just a sickening fullness in my arches and lateral edge of my fascia all day-I have recently had a normal US scan (no fascia thickening at all)-is this a good prosnostic factor and do you agree that inserts can work by stretching old scar tissue-please reply! desperate at present

Re: normal ultrasound scan

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/25/02 at 22:55 (098368)

Peter:

Ultrasound is a useful modality but it is not the gold standard for diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. Do you have pain upon arising in the morning? What treatments have you had and how did you respond to those treatments?
Ed

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 03:53 (098376)

I used to have classic morning heel pain but it developed more into arch pain and different tender spots around the foot-it is really bad about 36 hours after cycling (I had to stop hiking a year ago)- taping helped when the heel pain was bad-most days my heels feel full as if I have too much sock rolled up under them-I'm fairly sure it is PF-I now have soft arch supports and have been told that they will stretch the fascia back to normal even if it takes time. Do you think it will get better/Do most people get better even after 2 yrs?

Andrue on 10/26/02 at 06:07 (098378)

You mention cycling - are you wearing proper supportive shoes? When you pedal with the balls of the feet your fascia is transmitting the force back to your ankles and suffering stress as a consequence.

Proper cycling shoes have solid, inflexible soles to help carry the forces. When I ride my exercise bike I push the pedals with my heels. At least two people here suspect that cycling without adequate support caused our PF.

eileenc on 10/26/02 at 08:11 (098384)

Soft arch supports -- what type?

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 12:08 (098392)

yes I use hard Shimano and wide pedals so I can shift my feet around-do you still cycle?

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 12:08 (098393)

spenco cross trainer arch supports

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/26/02 at 17:12 (098405)

It amy be wothwhile to take another look if the residual symptoms are due to plantar fasciitis or something else.
Ed

Peter F on 10/27/02 at 06:28 (098423)

Dear Ed,

thanks for your replies-what sort of other condition are you thinking of?

Andrue on 10/28/02 at 07:51 (098472)

Yes. I stopped earlier in the year but once I discovered the trick of pedalling with my heels I started again. Lack of physical exercise was starting to drive me mad(der).

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/25/02 at 22:55 (098368)

Peter:

Ultrasound is a useful modality but it is not the gold standard for diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. Do you have pain upon arising in the morning? What treatments have you had and how did you respond to those treatments?
Ed

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 03:53 (098376)

I used to have classic morning heel pain but it developed more into arch pain and different tender spots around the foot-it is really bad about 36 hours after cycling (I had to stop hiking a year ago)- taping helped when the heel pain was bad-most days my heels feel full as if I have too much sock rolled up under them-I'm fairly sure it is PF-I now have soft arch supports and have been told that they will stretch the fascia back to normal even if it takes time. Do you think it will get better/Do most people get better even after 2 yrs?

Andrue on 10/26/02 at 06:07 (098378)

You mention cycling - are you wearing proper supportive shoes? When you pedal with the balls of the feet your fascia is transmitting the force back to your ankles and suffering stress as a consequence.

Proper cycling shoes have solid, inflexible soles to help carry the forces. When I ride my exercise bike I push the pedals with my heels. At least two people here suspect that cycling without adequate support caused our PF.

eileenc on 10/26/02 at 08:11 (098384)

Soft arch supports -- what type?

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 12:08 (098392)

yes I use hard Shimano and wide pedals so I can shift my feet around-do you still cycle?

Peter F on 10/26/02 at 12:08 (098393)

spenco cross trainer arch supports

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/26/02 at 17:12 (098405)

It amy be wothwhile to take another look if the residual symptoms are due to plantar fasciitis or something else.
Ed

Peter F on 10/27/02 at 06:28 (098423)

Dear Ed,

thanks for your replies-what sort of other condition are you thinking of?

Andrue on 10/28/02 at 07:51 (098472)

Yes. I stopped earlier in the year but once I discovered the trick of pedalling with my heels I started again. Lack of physical exercise was starting to drive me mad(der).