Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs

Posted by Rochelle G on 10/25/02 at 10:44 (098342)

My husband suffers from a heel spur. What treatment would you suggest?
He uses a treadmil 5 days a week, and would like to rid of the spur. The local doctor has told him the spur could be removed, but will probably grow back. Please help.

Re: heel spurs

Dr Zuckerman on 10/26/02 at 10:01 (098387)

Hi

A heeel spur is a calcification of the plantar fascia at the attachment on the bottom of the heel bone. IT isn't sharp piece of bone. Please read the heel pain book on this web site . My first piece of advice is stop using
trend mill. If is my experience that this will make the pf worse. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have

A Manoli MD on 10/26/02 at 18:18 (098409)

the typical 'heel spur' is bone growing in the origin of the flexor digitorum brevis muscle on the undersurface of the heel. it is not in the plantar fascia, rather deep to it.

the 'spur' is not to felt to be the cause of heel pain. i believe this is emphasized in the 'book' on this site.

am2

Dr Zuckerman on 10/27/02 at 19:35 (098458)

It is the tearing of the plantar fascia at the insertion that is the causing of plantar fasciitis. Be sure to stop the trend mill routine for now and get an examination by a podiatrist

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/28/02 at 18:25 (098513)

In addition to the stress and shock caused by running, the use of a treadmill usually causes increased flexion and 'drag' of the foot which results in increased stretching of the fascia. I agree with Dr. Manoli regarding the location of the spur, and that anatomical dissection will show that the spur is not within the fascia, but is above the fascia. Surgery should certainly be the last choice, and surgically removing the 'spur' is rarely indicated. As Dr. Zuckerman stated, the 'spur' is not a sharp point as most people imagine, it is actually a shelf of bone. Seek the opinion of an experienced podiatrist or foot/ankle orthopedist.

Dr Zuckerman on 10/26/02 at 10:01 (098387)

Hi

A heeel spur is a calcification of the plantar fascia at the attachment on the bottom of the heel bone. IT isn't sharp piece of bone. Please read the heel pain book on this web site . My first piece of advice is stop using
trend mill. If is my experience that this will make the pf worse. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have

A Manoli MD on 10/26/02 at 18:18 (098409)

the typical 'heel spur' is bone growing in the origin of the flexor digitorum brevis muscle on the undersurface of the heel. it is not in the plantar fascia, rather deep to it.

the 'spur' is not to felt to be the cause of heel pain. i believe this is emphasized in the 'book' on this site.

am2

Dr Zuckerman on 10/27/02 at 19:35 (098458)

It is the tearing of the plantar fascia at the insertion that is the causing of plantar fasciitis. Be sure to stop the trend mill routine for now and get an examination by a podiatrist

Dr. David S. Wander on 10/28/02 at 18:25 (098513)

In addition to the stress and shock caused by running, the use of a treadmill usually causes increased flexion and 'drag' of the foot which results in increased stretching of the fascia. I agree with Dr. Manoli regarding the location of the spur, and that anatomical dissection will show that the spur is not within the fascia, but is above the fascia. Surgery should certainly be the last choice, and surgically removing the 'spur' is rarely indicated. As Dr. Zuckerman stated, the 'spur' is not a sharp point as most people imagine, it is actually a shelf of bone. Seek the opinion of an experienced podiatrist or foot/ankle orthopedist.