Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin for tts

Posted by chris on 10/26/02 at 01:51 (098375)

Doctors,

I found neurontin to be helpful for my pain. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. How long am I able to stay on this medicine without it having any detrimental effects on my health or just losing its effect?
Thanks for any replies!

Re: Neurontin for tts

Des L. on 10/26/02 at 18:29 (098410)

Chris,

I too take Neurontin for TTS and have the same question as you. I see the Neurologist this coming week and plan to ask that question. I currently take 1200mg/day - 300 in morning, 300 in afternoon, & 600 at bedtime. I have been on this for about 5 weeks and have noticed that it is not as effective for pain as it was when I first began using it. Any comments on this? And what kind of pain did you have? Thanks too for any reply.

chris on 10/27/02 at 01:52 (098420)

Hi Des,

I have arch and heel pain mostly. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome in both feet. I am on 300 mg. I usually take it when my pain is at its worst. I was hoping to find treatment to get rid of this pain without having to rely on meds forever. What type of disorder do you have?

Chris

Des L. on 11/02/02 at 23:54 (099128)

Chris,

Getting back to you. I have TTS and neuropathy.

I have most of the pain in the ball of my foot and my toes, in both feet. My arches and heels are painful sometimes. The pain varies in what kind and how severe. I saw the neurologist this week. She is the one who put me on the neurontin after getting a positive diagnosis for Tarsal tunnel on the NCV/EMG test. (She also diagnosed carpal tunnel in both hands.) The Neurontin was very effective in treating the very severe shooting pains in my heels, arches and toes and I am grateful for the drug.

The podiatrist I had first gone to suspected tarsal tunnel and sent me to the neurologist to have the tests done to confirm it. He had given me Celebrex for the pain and after using it for 2 weeks, I had absolutely no results. The Neurontin has definitely helped me with the pain, but I do not want to be on pain medication forever either. I asked the Neuro about the Neurontin and she said it was a safe drug. For now I need to be taking it for the pain, plus just this week she had me begin using lidocaine patches at night, as well as increased the Neurontin dosage.

The Podiatrist says my next step is cortisone injections with custom orthotics. I am afraid of the cortisone injections and the side effects, but I guess it is not good to wait too long as I gather from reading many of the posts on this site. (My pain actually began about a year ago.)However, I don't really know if cortisone injections are the way to go. It's difficult to make a decision. But sometimes I can hardly walk, especially those first steps upon getting up in the morning and I know I have to do something and that I couldn't live without the neurontin right now. At least it gets me through the day but I still have much breakthrough pain going on.

I hope you check back to this post and I hope you are doing better.

Re: cortisone injections for TTS

carynz on 11/04/02 at 14:01 (099296)

hi Des
read your post re TTS and Neuropathy and that you take Neurontin for pain. After 2 yrs of constant pain and lots of big words from doctors telling me I have this and that....I too have recently had TTS and damage to the posterial tibial nerve area confirmed. I was scheduled for cortisone shots for this week but after asking many questions and reading tons on this site plus speaking to lots of people I decided that cortisone was not the treatment I should be seeking for nerve damage TTS. It seems that it is a temporary relief only and does nothing to take the symptoms away. I have found out that for those suffering with PF sometimes cortisone injections do help and sometimes even cure but I personally decided NO and then had just a peripheal nerve block which is anasthetic only. I think it's a personal choice however but my DPM has advised that for TTS sufferers cortisone is not the answer of perhaps the treatment to look at.

Caryn

Des L. on 10/26/02 at 18:29 (098410)

Chris,

I too take Neurontin for TTS and have the same question as you. I see the Neurologist this coming week and plan to ask that question. I currently take 1200mg/day - 300 in morning, 300 in afternoon, & 600 at bedtime. I have been on this for about 5 weeks and have noticed that it is not as effective for pain as it was when I first began using it. Any comments on this? And what kind of pain did you have? Thanks too for any reply.

chris on 10/27/02 at 01:52 (098420)

Hi Des,

I have arch and heel pain mostly. I have tarsal tunnel syndrome in both feet. I am on 300 mg. I usually take it when my pain is at its worst. I was hoping to find treatment to get rid of this pain without having to rely on meds forever. What type of disorder do you have?

Chris

Des L. on 11/02/02 at 23:54 (099128)

Chris,

Getting back to you. I have TTS and neuropathy.

I have most of the pain in the ball of my foot and my toes, in both feet. My arches and heels are painful sometimes. The pain varies in what kind and how severe. I saw the neurologist this week. She is the one who put me on the neurontin after getting a positive diagnosis for Tarsal tunnel on the NCV/EMG test. (She also diagnosed carpal tunnel in both hands.) The Neurontin was very effective in treating the very severe shooting pains in my heels, arches and toes and I am grateful for the drug.

The podiatrist I had first gone to suspected tarsal tunnel and sent me to the neurologist to have the tests done to confirm it. He had given me Celebrex for the pain and after using it for 2 weeks, I had absolutely no results. The Neurontin has definitely helped me with the pain, but I do not want to be on pain medication forever either. I asked the Neuro about the Neurontin and she said it was a safe drug. For now I need to be taking it for the pain, plus just this week she had me begin using lidocaine patches at night, as well as increased the Neurontin dosage.

The Podiatrist says my next step is cortisone injections with custom orthotics. I am afraid of the cortisone injections and the side effects, but I guess it is not good to wait too long as I gather from reading many of the posts on this site. (My pain actually began about a year ago.)However, I don't really know if cortisone injections are the way to go. It's difficult to make a decision. But sometimes I can hardly walk, especially those first steps upon getting up in the morning and I know I have to do something and that I couldn't live without the neurontin right now. At least it gets me through the day but I still have much breakthrough pain going on.

I hope you check back to this post and I hope you are doing better.

Re: cortisone injections for TTS

carynz on 11/04/02 at 14:01 (099296)

hi Des
read your post re TTS and Neuropathy and that you take Neurontin for pain. After 2 yrs of constant pain and lots of big words from doctors telling me I have this and that....I too have recently had TTS and damage to the posterial tibial nerve area confirmed. I was scheduled for cortisone shots for this week but after asking many questions and reading tons on this site plus speaking to lots of people I decided that cortisone was not the treatment I should be seeking for nerve damage TTS. It seems that it is a temporary relief only and does nothing to take the symptoms away. I have found out that for those suffering with PF sometimes cortisone injections do help and sometimes even cure but I personally decided NO and then had just a peripheal nerve block which is anasthetic only. I think it's a personal choice however but my DPM has advised that for TTS sufferers cortisone is not the answer of perhaps the treatment to look at.

Caryn

Re: Neurontin for TTS---helps heal or not?

AngelaS on 3/17/03 at 21:36 (113266)

Hi,
I have taken Neurotin for quite some time. When I stopped, to see if it really helped, I noticed a big difference in the pins/needles/numbness pain.
But I have only heard that it masks or helps relieve nerve pain. Not that it heals:-(
Angela

Re: Neurontin for TTS---helps heal or not?

Terry on 3/24/03 at 17:48 (114296)

I have been on neurotin for about 2 months. From my experience it really really works but it took time....about 6 weeks to get up to the right dosage for me( 1600mg) but it's lik night and day for me.
Terry