Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthodics : (

Posted by Jennifer on 10/27/02 at 14:34 (098436)

Well....I finally got the orthodics and they are horribly painful. How much pain is acceptable ???? They are putting a lot of stress on my heel, it ranges from feeling like a stepped directly on a rock to numb (and that is 3 days after the last wearing). They crank up the inflammation at the site of my accessory navicular excision incision all the way back to the heel. My baby toe and big toe have both had episodes of numbness. I also have cramps and spasms...and I have worked up to a grand total of a half hour in them : O

It feels like the orthodics rise too quickly from the heel. So they feel like they are back beyond where my arch is (feels like I have another rock under the arch)...amazingly they feel like Nike arches in terms of placement (which I have never been able to tolerate). They are also creating some swelling behind my knee laterally.

It this common with orthodics that have been cast from plaster molds ????? My father has been wearing orthodics for 50 years and he had never had the experience of having a PT make the casts or having them made out of plaster. he says he always has to step into a medium to create the cast.

What do I do now. I am using 'Arch Cradles' for temporary pain relief as walking with the new orthodics has made walking without anything much more painful. Do I just have to suck it up and wear them ??????

Jennifer

Re: Orthodics : (

carmen h on 10/27/02 at 19:28 (098455)

IMO and i am not a doc...NO don't wear anything that causes such terrible pain and swelling! go back to the doc.

Pauline on 10/27/02 at 20:49 (098462)

Jennifer,
In my opinion your feet are telling you a great deal. You shouldn't be experiencing the pain, swelling and discomfort you are describing. My advice is to listen to your feet. Stop wearing the orthotics, go back to taping your feet for support and icing. Also use the shoe that is most comfortable for you.

Call your doctor and make an appointment for him to make adjustments until they meet your expectation.

Many posters have never been able to wear their custom orthotics. Their not for everyone, but you can't be sure until you go back for adjustments.

I'd say your feet have to calm down some before you try again and only after the doctor modifies them.

Keep in mind you may be just one of those people who cannot wear orthotics or need the 'soft' variety. Ask your doctor.

Wishing you the best of luck. Remember keep going back until your satisfied.

Jennifer on 10/27/02 at 22:36 (098464)

Well.....

I am NOT seeing the OS, I am seeing the PT (whom the OS referred me to for the purpose of getting the orthodics). I currently do not have a follow up appointment scheduled with the OS. I have asked his nurse, but they have been remarkably silent...although they did just move offices.

I was really surprised by the level of pain the orthodics caused. I was expecting discomfort and soreness...not stabbing pain. I do have a call into the PT and I should hear from him on the morrow. I doubt there is much he can do though. He sent them out to be made : (

Thanks for the advice.

Jennifer

Jennifer on 10/27/02 at 22:37 (098465)

I have given up on them until I hear from the PT...thanks for the advice.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 08:35 (098476)

Hey Jennifer...
How long did you wear the orthotics each day? Did you only give it a short amount of time, such as 30 minutes, or did you try to wear them all day each day?

You should feel the support just in front of your heel and about midway through your arch. That is where I feel mine.

How sore were your feet before your stated wearing the orthotics?

Are they made out of a hard plastic material?

Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/28/02 at 12:38 (098488)

I started with a goal of 15 minutes. I was able to keep them in for 10 minutes. The next day I had to use a cane so I skipped another attempt. Then the following day I tried them again for 10 minutes with the same results.

My feet had finally settled down post accessory navicular excision and now they are worse in some ways. Plus there is a lot of inflammation behind my left knee as a result of wearing them.

They are a hard plastic resin of some type. They end just before my toes. They have an added hard heel piece which seems to be doing the most to aggrevate the foot. The arch feels like it starts before the heel ends and tips the heel too far to the lateral side.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 13:48 (098494)

Not knowing your history or seeing a picture of you wearing the orthotics makes this hard. I tell my patients, especially the ones with lower arches, that the orthosis will make them feel as if they are being pushes to the outside...supination. That is because they are not used to standing in a neutral position.

Ask your doc to take a look at you while wearing the orthotics. If the arch seems to high, see if they checked you for forefoot varus.

If they were giving me that much pain and aggravation, I would not wear them until the doc checked them out. You may need just a simple adjustment.

Are you flat footed or high arch?
Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/28/02 at 14:07 (098496)

I pronate...I also have bilateral maltracking patellae and hip dysplasia.

The OS doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the orthodics other then sending me to a PT to be cast and fitted for them. I seem to have been discharged at 3 months post accessory navicular excision.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/29/02 at 08:29 (098536)

Since you mentioned your other conditions, that makes me wonder. Did anyone examine your gait before you were casted? Did they watch you walk and stand with and without the orthotics? I am to lazy to look back, so forgive me if I repeat myself. How exactly were you casted? Lying down, sitting, standing? Were plaster strips used, or foam crush boxes. Oh, and who did the casting? A DPM, orthopedic doc or PT?

Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/29/02 at 09:16 (098545)

The PT did watch me walk prior to casting the orthotics...he said I had the worst knees he had every seen : (
I was sitting while I was cast with plaster strips by the PT.
I talked to the PT yesterday and he is going to have the orthotics altered to half the correction...he suspects that it probably won't work. He wanted to put heel lifts in, but with my lack of quad strength he felt it wouldn't work either.
I have a lovely Baker's Cyst now from the orthotics, so I am less than amused right now.

Thanks for your time.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/31/02 at 08:26 (098785)

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble Jennifer. I really wish I could be more help to you. Your situation is unique because you have so much going on that needs to be addressed in the orthosis that you use. You are the type of poster that really needs to be seen in order to provide adequate information.

If it were me, I would continue to adjust and tweek until it was right. Of course, not everyone does this with no charge to the customer. You may want to try to find a C.Ped in your area and ask for a free consultation about your situation. If you are in South Carolina, well, that would be me :-). If not, go to http://www.cpeds.org and click on 'locate a C.Ped' at the top of the page.

I wish you the best of luck!!
Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/31/02 at 19:58 (098843)

I went to the OS today...the Baker's cyst was just too ugly. I will have the procedure to aspirate it next week : ( I will be getting the orthotics adjusted by the PT on Monday. I don't know whether the OS will recommend whether I try them or not after the aspirations.

I am occasionally in SC (Lancaster specifically), so you may have to live up to that someday : )

Thanks for all of your advice.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 11/01/02 at 08:55 (098885)

Lancaster is only about 45 minutes or so from me. I would love the opportunity to see what we could do for you, as well as meet someone in person from the board. I have talked with a few on the phone, and I really enjoyed that. Anytime is a good time.
Richard, C.Ped

carmen h on 10/27/02 at 19:28 (098455)

IMO and i am not a doc...NO don't wear anything that causes such terrible pain and swelling! go back to the doc.

Pauline on 10/27/02 at 20:49 (098462)

Jennifer,
In my opinion your feet are telling you a great deal. You shouldn't be experiencing the pain, swelling and discomfort you are describing. My advice is to listen to your feet. Stop wearing the orthotics, go back to taping your feet for support and icing. Also use the shoe that is most comfortable for you.

Call your doctor and make an appointment for him to make adjustments until they meet your expectation.

Many posters have never been able to wear their custom orthotics. Their not for everyone, but you can't be sure until you go back for adjustments.

I'd say your feet have to calm down some before you try again and only after the doctor modifies them.

Keep in mind you may be just one of those people who cannot wear orthotics or need the 'soft' variety. Ask your doctor.

Wishing you the best of luck. Remember keep going back until your satisfied.

Jennifer on 10/27/02 at 22:36 (098464)

Well.....

I am NOT seeing the OS, I am seeing the PT (whom the OS referred me to for the purpose of getting the orthodics). I currently do not have a follow up appointment scheduled with the OS. I have asked his nurse, but they have been remarkably silent...although they did just move offices.

I was really surprised by the level of pain the orthodics caused. I was expecting discomfort and soreness...not stabbing pain. I do have a call into the PT and I should hear from him on the morrow. I doubt there is much he can do though. He sent them out to be made : (

Thanks for the advice.

Jennifer

Jennifer on 10/27/02 at 22:37 (098465)

I have given up on them until I hear from the PT...thanks for the advice.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 08:35 (098476)

Hey Jennifer...
How long did you wear the orthotics each day? Did you only give it a short amount of time, such as 30 minutes, or did you try to wear them all day each day?

You should feel the support just in front of your heel and about midway through your arch. That is where I feel mine.

How sore were your feet before your stated wearing the orthotics?

Are they made out of a hard plastic material?

Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/28/02 at 12:38 (098488)

I started with a goal of 15 minutes. I was able to keep them in for 10 minutes. The next day I had to use a cane so I skipped another attempt. Then the following day I tried them again for 10 minutes with the same results.

My feet had finally settled down post accessory navicular excision and now they are worse in some ways. Plus there is a lot of inflammation behind my left knee as a result of wearing them.

They are a hard plastic resin of some type. They end just before my toes. They have an added hard heel piece which seems to be doing the most to aggrevate the foot. The arch feels like it starts before the heel ends and tips the heel too far to the lateral side.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 13:48 (098494)

Not knowing your history or seeing a picture of you wearing the orthotics makes this hard. I tell my patients, especially the ones with lower arches, that the orthosis will make them feel as if they are being pushes to the outside...supination. That is because they are not used to standing in a neutral position.

Ask your doc to take a look at you while wearing the orthotics. If the arch seems to high, see if they checked you for forefoot varus.

If they were giving me that much pain and aggravation, I would not wear them until the doc checked them out. You may need just a simple adjustment.

Are you flat footed or high arch?
Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/28/02 at 14:07 (098496)

I pronate...I also have bilateral maltracking patellae and hip dysplasia.

The OS doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with the orthodics other then sending me to a PT to be cast and fitted for them. I seem to have been discharged at 3 months post accessory navicular excision.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/29/02 at 08:29 (098536)

Since you mentioned your other conditions, that makes me wonder. Did anyone examine your gait before you were casted? Did they watch you walk and stand with and without the orthotics? I am to lazy to look back, so forgive me if I repeat myself. How exactly were you casted? Lying down, sitting, standing? Were plaster strips used, or foam crush boxes. Oh, and who did the casting? A DPM, orthopedic doc or PT?

Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/29/02 at 09:16 (098545)

The PT did watch me walk prior to casting the orthotics...he said I had the worst knees he had every seen : (
I was sitting while I was cast with plaster strips by the PT.
I talked to the PT yesterday and he is going to have the orthotics altered to half the correction...he suspects that it probably won't work. He wanted to put heel lifts in, but with my lack of quad strength he felt it wouldn't work either.
I have a lovely Baker's Cyst now from the orthotics, so I am less than amused right now.

Thanks for your time.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 10/31/02 at 08:26 (098785)

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble Jennifer. I really wish I could be more help to you. Your situation is unique because you have so much going on that needs to be addressed in the orthosis that you use. You are the type of poster that really needs to be seen in order to provide adequate information.

If it were me, I would continue to adjust and tweek until it was right. Of course, not everyone does this with no charge to the customer. You may want to try to find a C.Ped in your area and ask for a free consultation about your situation. If you are in South Carolina, well, that would be me :-). If not, go to http://www.cpeds.org and click on 'locate a C.Ped' at the top of the page.

I wish you the best of luck!!
Richard, C.Ped

Jennifer on 10/31/02 at 19:58 (098843)

I went to the OS today...the Baker's cyst was just too ugly. I will have the procedure to aspirate it next week : ( I will be getting the orthotics adjusted by the PT on Monday. I don't know whether the OS will recommend whether I try them or not after the aspirations.

I am occasionally in SC (Lancaster specifically), so you may have to live up to that someday : )

Thanks for all of your advice.

Jennifer

Richard, C.Ped on 11/01/02 at 08:55 (098885)

Lancaster is only about 45 minutes or so from me. I would love the opportunity to see what we could do for you, as well as meet someone in person from the board. I have talked with a few on the phone, and I really enjoyed that. Anytime is a good time.
Richard, C.Ped