Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nitesplint

Posted by Janet F on 10/28/02 at 14:07 (098495)

Hi all,

I haven't been here in a few weeks and want to bring my PF saga up to date.

I have been given orthotics by POD (haven't seen him in 2 wks). They feel awful. I am still wearing the Sacouny (sp?) sneakers and Seibel shoes and they feel good.

Still having trouble though. Got a nite splint but can't say it is very comfortable. I am having trouble adjusting it. It seems that when I lay down in bed with the splint on, my heel is about 1 or 2 inches from the bottom, heel part. What am I doing wrong?

I am still resisting the steriod shots, but I am getting at my wits end with this ordeal.

Re: Nitesplint

nancy s. on 10/28/02 at 15:56 (098504)

janet, what kind of nightsplint do you have? if you don't know the brand name, can you describe it?
nancy

Jim C on 10/28/02 at 21:24 (098520)

Hi Janet,

I hear your frustration, and I would encourage you to work through what ever problems your having with the night splint. I use the Strassburg sock(a simular contraption) and after using it for two weeks, I have no morning or first step pain. Today for the first time in 5 months I was 100% pain free, no fatigue or ghost pains either! I wished I had started using it months ago. I think the splint goes hand in hand with a good stretching regimon. Of course you can't forget good shoes, rest and alot of patience.

Jim

Necee on 10/29/02 at 08:04 (098533)

Hi Janet,
I can understand your frustration with the nightsplint, I tried using one myself, but just didn't like it. I would wake up with numb toes, either way I adjusted the thing it never seemed right for my foot.

I tried the Cortizone shots Janet, and from my experience, it gives only temporary relief. The best thing that worked for me was buying Birkenstock shoes, and just giving it time. My pain level went from a 10 to a 3 in about 6 months. After seeking opinions from several Drs two of which suggested wearing good support shoes, resting, and simply allowing time for the facia to heal, I'm now able to continue my job. I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day, and I can honestly tell you that if it wasn't for those shoes I wouldn't be working.

Don't get discouraged Janet, you try to stay focused on healing, remain positive and just give it time. Remember to stretch before getting out of bed in the morning, and ice throughout the day if possible. I took a small plastic bottle, filled it with water and froze it, during my lunch break I would place the frozen bottle on the floor and roll my foot back and forth on it. The ice helps reduce the swelling, and besides that it feels so good!

Hope this helps you.
Hang around and keep asking questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website, and we are all here to help eachother.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Necee?

Jan H. on 10/29/02 at 08:36 (098537)

Do your Birkenstock shoes cover your whole foot? If so, what style works best for someone on their feet all day? I have been off with my feet in soft casts for the past 6 weeks, and they didn't hurt much when I went back to work, but now, 3 days later it's as if I never had time off. My insurance won't cover surgery till next January and I am looking at that as my last option as I have tried everything else. I need shoes that cover the whole foot though as a requirement for the job.

nancy s. on 10/29/02 at 13:59 (098573)

janet, necee has given you excellent advice.

about the night splint, i had some trouble sleeping with it, but eventually i adjusted to it and i do think it helped me -- only after i figured out how to fit it properly (pod's office fitted it too loosely, and i continued to do the same until i found this website).

night splint styles are different, and that's why i asked you what kind you have. if you have the same kind i did (blue johnson & johnson with three wide velcro straps), i have some tips for you that might help. at first i had the exact trouble you're having, with my heel riding up in it and the splint not providing the position my pf needed. let me know if i can help.

nancy

pala on 10/29/02 at 14:52 (098578)

my latest version of a night splint is a self adhering ace bandage. it seems to hold my foot in a pretty good position.

Re: Pala's version

Ellen J on 10/29/02 at 15:08 (098580)

What a great idea! I made my own night splints but now I'm curious about the ace bandage idea because it sounds even more comfortable. Maybe you have a new invention, Pala.
Ellen J.

pala on 10/29/02 at 21:40 (098623)

i tried it with a non adhesive ace bandage but it ddn't work for me. my pt is always warning me not to make the bandage too tight. could be dangerous she says. could cut off circulation. i also wear ace bandage in pool so my feet don't stay pointing down while swimming.

Necee on 10/29/02 at 23:10 (098638)

Hi Jan,
I have three pair of Birks, one is the Memphis, it's a lace up shoe and the Sonora, it's a laceup boot that just covers my ankles, I also have a pair of Tatami sandals. Birkenstock has a lot of different styles to choose from, if you can locate a store near you I'd suggest you go and try on several pair. You can also order them online, which is quite cheaper.
Birks aren't for everyone, but they sure helped me, I literally limped into the shoe store wearing New Balance walkers, and walked out without limping at all wearing my new Memphis Birks, it was amazing to me. That day was the begining of my recovery.

What type of surgery are you considering? And have you tried other methods of treatment? I'm a very firm believer in giving it time and forgoing surgery if at all possible. I've know way too many people who have had surgery and are regreting it to this day, some are even worse off than before surgery.

Hope this has helped you in some way, let me know how things go.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Jan H. on 10/29/02 at 23:46 (098639)

Thank you for the Birk advice, I will try them out. I will probably get the surgery where they make a hole on each side of the foot and go in and snip-I forget what it's called. I have tried Naprasin, Coritsone shots, Medrol, Bextra, Celebrex, taping, custom orthotics, soft casting,stretches, every kind of shoe I could get my hands on, ect....The only thing that really helps is not working 8 hours a day on my feet, but that isn't an option right now.-I have had PF for I can't remember how long, probably at least 12 years and it is getting worse all the time. One more question-do they sell those at regular shoe stores-like Famous Footwear or are they specialty shops and if I order online how do the sizes run (big or small)?

Re: To: Jan

Necee on 10/30/02 at 01:00 (098640)

Birks aren't sold at regular shoe stores like Famous Footwear, you have to go to specialty shops. Where do you live? Most major cities have stores that sell Birks. It would be best to find a store and go try on several styles, then once you knew your size you could order them online much cheaper. Birks are German made and so their sizing is different.

Happy trails...

Necee

Janet F on 10/30/02 at 08:28 (098654)

Nancy,

The nite splint is made by Royce and it is a hard plastic form with a blue covered foamy inside. It has 3 straps, one on foot, one at ankle and one up on my calf. It seems that if I adjust it sitting on the end of my bed it feels right but then when I lay down everything loosens up and my heel rises up. I do find it very uncomfortable and last nite I just removed it because I was getting pain in my heel. Sometimes I put it back on about 1 to 2 hours before getting up in the am and do notice a difference in that my first step and subsequent walking doesn't hurt as much.

Is it ever recommended to use the splint when just sitting around watching t.v.?

Thanks for your interest in my problem :).

nancy s. on 10/30/02 at 09:01 (098656)

janet, your royce night splint doesn't sound exactly like mine, but not totally unlike it, either. the j&j splint is hard plastic covered with blue foam. it encases the foot and calf up to the knee, and opens and closes in the front via three velcro straps like the type you describe. it came with a wedge to be inserted under the foot for a little extra dorsiflexion if wanted (which i did use).

in case this helps: in an effort to keep the splint firmer on my foot/leg and to keep my heel from riding up in it, i explored different placements for the three velcro straps. after i began placing two of the straps a bit differently, the splint held much better: (1) i fastened the bottom strap, near the toes, not directly across from its starting point but aiming somewhat inward, more toward the heel -- so that instead of being straight across the foot, it was at somewhat of an angle, in toward the rest of my body. (2) i fastened the next strap, the one nearest the ankle, to angle a bit downward, more toward the bottom of my foot instead of just straight across. in other words, both those straps were fastened to head a little toward each other, instead of straight across. (is this making sense? hard to describe!)

these small changes made a big difference. the splint stayed in place, without being too tight and at the same time without moving around and becoming uncomfortable. please ask if i can be any clearer or more specific. these things came in only three sizes, so it made sense that experimentation might be needed in fastening the straps.

absolutely, use the splint when watching tv! or when reading or sitting for a period of time for any other reason. when in my recliner, i found that my foot would droop, and anything to keep it from doing that was helpful. (i had severe morning pain, and the same pain when getting up after sitting for a while -- the splint helped this.) especially if you have a hard time keeping it on at night, i'd say use it as often as possible during the day when you're being still.

hope this helps.

nancy

Janet F on 10/30/02 at 11:46 (098671)

Nancy, Thanks, I will try the different positioning. I am also going to use it when sitting in my recliner. There seems to be something about the recliner that makes getting up and walking especially difficult and painful. Thanks again and I'll let you know how this works out.

nancy s. on 10/28/02 at 15:56 (098504)

janet, what kind of nightsplint do you have? if you don't know the brand name, can you describe it?
nancy

Jim C on 10/28/02 at 21:24 (098520)

Hi Janet,

I hear your frustration, and I would encourage you to work through what ever problems your having with the night splint. I use the Strassburg sock(a simular contraption) and after using it for two weeks, I have no morning or first step pain. Today for the first time in 5 months I was 100% pain free, no fatigue or ghost pains either! I wished I had started using it months ago. I think the splint goes hand in hand with a good stretching regimon. Of course you can't forget good shoes, rest and alot of patience.

Jim

Necee on 10/29/02 at 08:04 (098533)

Hi Janet,
I can understand your frustration with the nightsplint, I tried using one myself, but just didn't like it. I would wake up with numb toes, either way I adjusted the thing it never seemed right for my foot.

I tried the Cortizone shots Janet, and from my experience, it gives only temporary relief. The best thing that worked for me was buying Birkenstock shoes, and just giving it time. My pain level went from a 10 to a 3 in about 6 months. After seeking opinions from several Drs two of which suggested wearing good support shoes, resting, and simply allowing time for the facia to heal, I'm now able to continue my job. I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day, and I can honestly tell you that if it wasn't for those shoes I wouldn't be working.

Don't get discouraged Janet, you try to stay focused on healing, remain positive and just give it time. Remember to stretch before getting out of bed in the morning, and ice throughout the day if possible. I took a small plastic bottle, filled it with water and froze it, during my lunch break I would place the frozen bottle on the floor and roll my foot back and forth on it. The ice helps reduce the swelling, and besides that it feels so good!

Hope this helps you.
Hang around and keep asking questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website, and we are all here to help eachother.

Happy trails....

Necee

Jan H. on 10/29/02 at 08:36 (098537)

Do your Birkenstock shoes cover your whole foot? If so, what style works best for someone on their feet all day? I have been off with my feet in soft casts for the past 6 weeks, and they didn't hurt much when I went back to work, but now, 3 days later it's as if I never had time off. My insurance won't cover surgery till next January and I am looking at that as my last option as I have tried everything else. I need shoes that cover the whole foot though as a requirement for the job.

nancy s. on 10/29/02 at 13:59 (098573)

janet, necee has given you excellent advice.

about the night splint, i had some trouble sleeping with it, but eventually i adjusted to it and i do think it helped me -- only after i figured out how to fit it properly (pod's office fitted it too loosely, and i continued to do the same until i found this website).

night splint styles are different, and that's why i asked you what kind you have. if you have the same kind i did (blue johnson & johnson with three wide velcro straps), i have some tips for you that might help. at first i had the exact trouble you're having, with my heel riding up in it and the splint not providing the position my pf needed. let me know if i can help.

nancy

pala on 10/29/02 at 14:52 (098578)

my latest version of a night splint is a self adhering ace bandage. it seems to hold my foot in a pretty good position.

Ellen J on 10/29/02 at 15:08 (098580)

What a great idea! I made my own night splints but now I'm curious about the ace bandage idea because it sounds even more comfortable. Maybe you have a new invention, Pala.
Ellen J.

pala on 10/29/02 at 21:40 (098623)

i tried it with a non adhesive ace bandage but it ddn't work for me. my pt is always warning me not to make the bandage too tight. could be dangerous she says. could cut off circulation. i also wear ace bandage in pool so my feet don't stay pointing down while swimming.

Necee on 10/29/02 at 23:10 (098638)

Hi Jan,
I have three pair of Birks, one is the Memphis, it's a lace up shoe and the Sonora, it's a laceup boot that just covers my ankles, I also have a pair of Tatami sandals. Birkenstock has a lot of different styles to choose from, if you can locate a store near you I'd suggest you go and try on several pair. You can also order them online, which is quite cheaper.
Birks aren't for everyone, but they sure helped me, I literally limped into the shoe store wearing New Balance walkers, and walked out without limping at all wearing my new Memphis Birks, it was amazing to me. That day was the begining of my recovery.

What type of surgery are you considering? And have you tried other methods of treatment? I'm a very firm believer in giving it time and forgoing surgery if at all possible. I've know way too many people who have had surgery and are regreting it to this day, some are even worse off than before surgery.

Hope this has helped you in some way, let me know how things go.

Happy trails.....

Necee

Jan H. on 10/29/02 at 23:46 (098639)

Thank you for the Birk advice, I will try them out. I will probably get the surgery where they make a hole on each side of the foot and go in and snip-I forget what it's called. I have tried Naprasin, Coritsone shots, Medrol, Bextra, Celebrex, taping, custom orthotics, soft casting,stretches, every kind of shoe I could get my hands on, ect....The only thing that really helps is not working 8 hours a day on my feet, but that isn't an option right now.-I have had PF for I can't remember how long, probably at least 12 years and it is getting worse all the time. One more question-do they sell those at regular shoe stores-like Famous Footwear or are they specialty shops and if I order online how do the sizes run (big or small)?

Re: To: Jan

Necee on 10/30/02 at 01:00 (098640)

Birks aren't sold at regular shoe stores like Famous Footwear, you have to go to specialty shops. Where do you live? Most major cities have stores that sell Birks. It would be best to find a store and go try on several styles, then once you knew your size you could order them online much cheaper. Birks are German made and so their sizing is different.

Happy trails...

Necee

Janet F on 10/30/02 at 08:28 (098654)

Nancy,

The nite splint is made by Royce and it is a hard plastic form with a blue covered foamy inside. It has 3 straps, one on foot, one at ankle and one up on my calf. It seems that if I adjust it sitting on the end of my bed it feels right but then when I lay down everything loosens up and my heel rises up. I do find it very uncomfortable and last nite I just removed it because I was getting pain in my heel. Sometimes I put it back on about 1 to 2 hours before getting up in the am and do notice a difference in that my first step and subsequent walking doesn't hurt as much.

Is it ever recommended to use the splint when just sitting around watching t.v.?

Thanks for your interest in my problem :).

nancy s. on 10/30/02 at 09:01 (098656)

janet, your royce night splint doesn't sound exactly like mine, but not totally unlike it, either. the j&j splint is hard plastic covered with blue foam. it encases the foot and calf up to the knee, and opens and closes in the front via three velcro straps like the type you describe. it came with a wedge to be inserted under the foot for a little extra dorsiflexion if wanted (which i did use).

in case this helps: in an effort to keep the splint firmer on my foot/leg and to keep my heel from riding up in it, i explored different placements for the three velcro straps. after i began placing two of the straps a bit differently, the splint held much better: (1) i fastened the bottom strap, near the toes, not directly across from its starting point but aiming somewhat inward, more toward the heel -- so that instead of being straight across the foot, it was at somewhat of an angle, in toward the rest of my body. (2) i fastened the next strap, the one nearest the ankle, to angle a bit downward, more toward the bottom of my foot instead of just straight across. in other words, both those straps were fastened to head a little toward each other, instead of straight across. (is this making sense? hard to describe!)

these small changes made a big difference. the splint stayed in place, without being too tight and at the same time without moving around and becoming uncomfortable. please ask if i can be any clearer or more specific. these things came in only three sizes, so it made sense that experimentation might be needed in fastening the straps.

absolutely, use the splint when watching tv! or when reading or sitting for a period of time for any other reason. when in my recliner, i found that my foot would droop, and anything to keep it from doing that was helpful. (i had severe morning pain, and the same pain when getting up after sitting for a while -- the splint helped this.) especially if you have a hard time keeping it on at night, i'd say use it as often as possible during the day when you're being still.

hope this helps.

nancy

Janet F on 10/30/02 at 11:46 (098671)

Nancy, Thanks, I will try the different positioning. I am also going to use it when sitting in my recliner. There seems to be something about the recliner that makes getting up and walking especially difficult and painful. Thanks again and I'll let you know how this works out.