Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody ever use the Tony Little Gazelle?

Posted by Nancy N on 10/28/02 at 14:36 (098497)

Hi guys. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this query or not, but here goes. I am looking for a replacement for my sad old stationary bike, because if I don't soon get some exercise I will lose what's left of my mind, in addition to feeling like a slug! A friend mentioned that she has a Gazelle and really likes it, but I don't know much about it except what I've seen on the infomercials.

Anybody here ever use one? I know there are at least three different models (Edge, Freestyle, and Freestyle Elite) and the price ranges from $100-$200-$400 or so. I also saw something online called the 'Health Walker' that purports to be similar to the Gazelle, but I'm not sure how true that is.

I'd prefer to spend about $100, but if the $200 model is significantly better, I'd go for it. (I know it has a thumb-pulse meter, which I think would be good to have--the least expensive model doesn't have it.)

Thanks in advance for any input you might have!

Nancy

Re: Anybody ever use the Tony Little Gazelle?

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 14:57 (098499)

My wife had one of those things about four years ago. I'm not sure which fitness person it was. We didn't like it at all. What little resistance we got, I could hardly build up my heart rate. Needless to say, we didnt keep it very long.

I would say though, as a low to no impact device, it could be good to keep joints moving. It is better than just sitting around. As far as I remember, I dont think there was any excess pressure on our feet when we used the machine.

As I said, I have not tried Tony's product. Its been a few years, so the technology might be better.
Richard, C.Ped

Kathy G on 10/28/02 at 18:17 (098511)

Nancy,

Just a conservative viewpoint, but why not go with something similar to what you had if you know it doesn't hurt your feet? I know I nearly killed myself, about 8 years ago, when I stopped the aerobic dance program I was doing and switched to the Health Rider. That was really when all the problems with my feet began.

By the way, how is your grandmother?

Nancy N on 10/28/02 at 19:04 (098516)

Honestly, I haven't really thought about my feet. The gazelle mimics a walking motion, so if I can walk for hours in the city, I should think I'd be OK on this machine (especially since it's very very low-impact). I guess it's something to consider, but I rarely, if ever, worry about my feet anymore. I'm not sure if I want to get another bike (and if so, which kind), or something different. I don't think the bike does much for my back/stomach area, which I think the gazelle would, since it's in more of a standing position and would use those muscles.

My grandmother is doing just fine. She came home last Tuesday and while she's still pretty tired, she's doing quite well. It turns out that they did get her heart back into its regular rhythm with the cardioversion (which nobody realized until she was discharged), so that's good, too.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 02:05 (098526)

...but Nancy, if you can walk for hours in the city, why do you need an exercise machine?

Just asking!

But if you like exercise machines, why not spend the money on a gym membership where you can use lots of wonderful machines?

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 05:34 (098531)

Julie--

Because I don't live in the city :) And because it's too cold and dark to go out walking by myself at this time of year. One of the things I've loved about the stationary bike is that it's excuse-proof--it sits in my living room and the weather, brightness/darkness outside, etc, are all irrelevant. This is also why I don't want a gym membership--first of all, I don't want people staring at me. Secondly, I would never go, because the additional time it would take to get there would become an excuse not to go (especially since I prefer to exercise in the morning, and already get up at 5:45 to do so--I would have to get up even earlier if I went to a gym). So I prefer to go with the in-home option (which is also cheaper in the long run).

john h on 10/29/02 at 08:41 (098538)

Nancy: Health Clubs normally carry very good bikes and change ut every couple of years. Our club sells the bikes to memebers sometimes and they are always operational. check out any nearby health clubs. We also have a couple of places that sell reconditioned bikes, etc they have taken in from health clubs. As you surely know you will always find them at garage sales but they for the most part are older less expensive models. I am very patial to the tecumbient type bike as they are easier on your back.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 08:53 (098541)

Nancy, I was forgetting about the lenthening nights and your long working days, I guess. I wouldn't like to go walking after dark either. But you can't blame me for for assuming from your last post that you were going for long (real) walks, can you? Anyway, just wait till you get to London: you'll have a great time walking in this city!

A put-out-to-grass state-of-the-art bike from a health club sounds a great idea! Good idea from John, and I agree about the recumbent bike too.

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 17:04 (098599)

Sorry I wasn't clear about the walking :) When it starts to get cold (and rainy and sleet-y like it is today), I have a really hard time convincing myself to go outside for exercise. There's gotta be a serious purpose behind it, like making a living :)

I'll have to look into the used bike idea. I was wondering about the recumbents, since I used one in PT lo, these many years ago and liked it. I think the Gazelle actually works the back muscles, though, and I am guessing that the bike doesn't. I have been having trouble finding recumbent bikes in my price range that also work the arms, too. The one I used in PT did both and I really liked it. But I would still like to do something that'll strengthen the back muscles.

Must do more research....

dave r on 10/30/02 at 07:36 (098651)

Has anyone ever heard of Tony Little's background? Did you know that he was in a serious accident. Broke his back. Was bed riddin for over a year and a wheel chair for another...A very amazing story of how the human body can heel.

Re: Recumbent bicycle

Kathy G on 10/31/02 at 10:09 (098797)

Nancy,

My immediate reaction was to suggest a recumbent bicycle, too. My husband bought one and really loves it. I, on the other hand, having a decidedly strange body, develop terrible problems with one side of my back if I use it. But then so did our stationary bike. It probably has something to do with one leg being shorter than the other but it definitely doesn't work for me. I'm way behind you in the healing processs; I'm just hoping to get back to walking again!

John had a great idea about checking with local health clubs. I know the local one is always selling off good equipment simply to replace it with more updated, state-of-the-art models.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/28/02 at 14:57 (098499)

My wife had one of those things about four years ago. I'm not sure which fitness person it was. We didn't like it at all. What little resistance we got, I could hardly build up my heart rate. Needless to say, we didnt keep it very long.

I would say though, as a low to no impact device, it could be good to keep joints moving. It is better than just sitting around. As far as I remember, I dont think there was any excess pressure on our feet when we used the machine.

As I said, I have not tried Tony's product. Its been a few years, so the technology might be better.
Richard, C.Ped

Kathy G on 10/28/02 at 18:17 (098511)

Nancy,

Just a conservative viewpoint, but why not go with something similar to what you had if you know it doesn't hurt your feet? I know I nearly killed myself, about 8 years ago, when I stopped the aerobic dance program I was doing and switched to the Health Rider. That was really when all the problems with my feet began.

By the way, how is your grandmother?

Nancy N on 10/28/02 at 19:04 (098516)

Honestly, I haven't really thought about my feet. The gazelle mimics a walking motion, so if I can walk for hours in the city, I should think I'd be OK on this machine (especially since it's very very low-impact). I guess it's something to consider, but I rarely, if ever, worry about my feet anymore. I'm not sure if I want to get another bike (and if so, which kind), or something different. I don't think the bike does much for my back/stomach area, which I think the gazelle would, since it's in more of a standing position and would use those muscles.

My grandmother is doing just fine. She came home last Tuesday and while she's still pretty tired, she's doing quite well. It turns out that they did get her heart back into its regular rhythm with the cardioversion (which nobody realized until she was discharged), so that's good, too.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 02:05 (098526)

...but Nancy, if you can walk for hours in the city, why do you need an exercise machine?

Just asking!

But if you like exercise machines, why not spend the money on a gym membership where you can use lots of wonderful machines?

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 05:34 (098531)

Julie--

Because I don't live in the city :) And because it's too cold and dark to go out walking by myself at this time of year. One of the things I've loved about the stationary bike is that it's excuse-proof--it sits in my living room and the weather, brightness/darkness outside, etc, are all irrelevant. This is also why I don't want a gym membership--first of all, I don't want people staring at me. Secondly, I would never go, because the additional time it would take to get there would become an excuse not to go (especially since I prefer to exercise in the morning, and already get up at 5:45 to do so--I would have to get up even earlier if I went to a gym). So I prefer to go with the in-home option (which is also cheaper in the long run).

john h on 10/29/02 at 08:41 (098538)

Nancy: Health Clubs normally carry very good bikes and change ut every couple of years. Our club sells the bikes to memebers sometimes and they are always operational. check out any nearby health clubs. We also have a couple of places that sell reconditioned bikes, etc they have taken in from health clubs. As you surely know you will always find them at garage sales but they for the most part are older less expensive models. I am very patial to the tecumbient type bike as they are easier on your back.

Julie on 10/29/02 at 08:53 (098541)

Nancy, I was forgetting about the lenthening nights and your long working days, I guess. I wouldn't like to go walking after dark either. But you can't blame me for for assuming from your last post that you were going for long (real) walks, can you? Anyway, just wait till you get to London: you'll have a great time walking in this city!

A put-out-to-grass state-of-the-art bike from a health club sounds a great idea! Good idea from John, and I agree about the recumbent bike too.

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 17:04 (098599)

Sorry I wasn't clear about the walking :) When it starts to get cold (and rainy and sleet-y like it is today), I have a really hard time convincing myself to go outside for exercise. There's gotta be a serious purpose behind it, like making a living :)

I'll have to look into the used bike idea. I was wondering about the recumbents, since I used one in PT lo, these many years ago and liked it. I think the Gazelle actually works the back muscles, though, and I am guessing that the bike doesn't. I have been having trouble finding recumbent bikes in my price range that also work the arms, too. The one I used in PT did both and I really liked it. But I would still like to do something that'll strengthen the back muscles.

Must do more research....

dave r on 10/30/02 at 07:36 (098651)

Has anyone ever heard of Tony Little's background? Did you know that he was in a serious accident. Broke his back. Was bed riddin for over a year and a wheel chair for another...A very amazing story of how the human body can heel.

Re: Recumbent bicycle

Kathy G on 10/31/02 at 10:09 (098797)

Nancy,

My immediate reaction was to suggest a recumbent bicycle, too. My husband bought one and really loves it. I, on the other hand, having a decidedly strange body, develop terrible problems with one side of my back if I use it. But then so did our stationary bike. It probably has something to do with one leg being shorter than the other but it definitely doesn't work for me. I'm way behind you in the healing processs; I'm just hoping to get back to walking again!

John had a great idea about checking with local health clubs. I know the local one is always selling off good equipment simply to replace it with more updated, state-of-the-art models.

Lolly O on 3/04/03 at 15:02 (111777)

was getting really frustrated and sorely missed my beloved treadmill. I finally broke down and ordered that super duper ultra elite GAZELLE. I started with only 15 minutes and then iced. This morning I did 45 minutes and iced. I may be lying to myself, but I don't think using the GAZELLE is causing my heels/ankles to hurt more. But I have only used it (4) times so far.

This new model ($415.00)with the hydraulics is great resistance.
I am so pleased with it. Its almost too good to be true. I hope I am not causing any further damage? Has anyone had a bad foot/heel experince with the GAZELLE?

Cyndi T. on 6/27/03 at 11:54 (123070)

Lolly,

I started using the Gazelle, but I think I need to wait until my foot heals completely (although my PF pain is almost gone). I have PF in the right foot, and after using the Gazelle for only 7 mnutes, I developed pain in the achilles tendon as well. This happened last week, and after icing the back of my heel 2 or 3 times a day, it is feeling better. I'm wondering if Tony Little's video doesn't go into enough detail as to how to do the exercise properly. Just a warning to be careful, but it sounds like you are doing okay with it!