Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

peripheal nerve block injections

Posted by carynz on 10/29/02 at 09:58 (098550)

I posted this msg on the social/support page but I think it should be here instead. My DPM has suggested I have an anesthetic nerve block on my foot before havig a nerve conduction study done. We have now determined that I do have a compressed nerve and he has suggested I have a medial plantar nerve decmpression performed. Any help or suggestions?

I am supposed to have this nerve block today and I have been reading about it on different sites pertaining to pain management.

Thanks

caryn Z

Re: peripheal nerve block injections

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/02 at 11:36 (098555)

It can help with plantar fasciitis. I use it at times. It will increase the blood supply to the area by causing a vasdilation.( increase blood supply) I would recommend a local steriod injection near the area that the nerve is compressed.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 11:36 (098556)

I never realized that there were other message boards on this web site! Thanks for mentioning the social/support page! Here I've been burdening the doctors with whining!! Sorry!! Mar

Re: to Dr. Z re peripheal nerve block

carynz on 10/30/02 at 14:27 (098683)

thanks for your information about this injection. I had 6cc of marcaine injected yesterday into the posterior nerve and my foot and calf were totally numbed until this morning.

The rest of the numbness is just now fading away in the toe area. Obviously the injection did infiltrate the nerve and blocked any pain but now my doctor wants me to ahead with the posterior tibial nerve decompression surgery.

I have read about many of the surgeries on this site and don't know for sure if this is a common surgery procedure. Is this the same as the plantar release?

My doctor says there is a 30% chance of reoccurrence after surgery. I'm going to continue reading the surgery post site also.

regards,
caryn z

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 19:45 (098722)

Here is what I don't understand what was the purpose of the block. To diagnosis the nerver entrapement? I am just not sure what the significance is of the block. TTS surgery is a very long healing surgery with possible bad complications.

If the doctor is talking about the medial calcaneal nerve of the nerve called Dr. Baxter's nerve then this is different then a TTS surgery. Keep us updated.

carynz on 10/30/02 at 23:05 (098754)

Thank you Dr. Z.

I will take this info along with me to DPM on Friday and ask him this question. I have had so many names thrown at me I really don't know if I have one problem or a combination. I think that I can read about the surgeries until I'm blue in the face and get 50/50 on the good and bad. The DPM did tell me that there could be a 30% chance of reoccurrance with having surgery but said if I didn't have it I would be permanently disabled. This is the big decision I have to make. To top it off, I've been waiting almost 8 months now to have left shoulder surgery (to match my right which was done 3 yrs ago) and he suggested I have my foot done the same time! I told him absolutely not since it would be the same side of my body. I will do as you have asked and keep you updated.

Thanks,

Caryn

Des L. on 11/03/02 at 00:06 (099130)

Caryn,

Thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. I have just read this post today. I hope all the best for you and will watch for your name on the board to see how you are coming along.

Des

Re: Des L. re peripheal nerve block

carynz on 11/03/02 at 21:23 (099224)

hello Des,

thanks for your post today. I had a peripheal nerve block injection last Tuesday and my foot/calf stayed completely numb until 430pm on the Wednesday. At first I was not sure why I was even having the anasthetic injected but after asking my DPM the questions that Dr. Z (on this site) asked me, it was clear that he was 'confirming' what he thinks is causing all or most of my pain and it does appear to be the posterior tibial nerve that is damaged, but I do not know at this point how much it is damaged.

He has explained that the decompression surgery is guarded with about a 30 to 40% chance of a reoccurrence and I may end having another operation in 6 months time, however I have read on this site that many people have had this operation and the rsult seems to be different for everyone. Now it is a waiting game to see when I am able to get in for the surgery with my ortho doctor.

Here in BC we have a real delay in our health care system and the way it works. Earlier this year the doctors went out on 'strike' and many people suffered as a result of their job action which lasted a few months. Our provincial health care plan does not cover a lot of expenses for DPMs, and other things other than visits to your family doctor and medical surgeries as a necessity of life, so many surgeries were bumped unless you were a terminally ill patient. I've been waiting since June 6 to have surgery on my left shoulder for a calcium buildup on my rotator cuff and am now booked for Jan 28/03,although that could change if they get me in quickly for my foot.

I have constant pain/needles in my heel and underside of the foot and am finding that my foot cramps up a lot which is probably a side effect from the injection.

I will see my family doctor on Wednesday so will have some more information at that visit as to what time frame I might expect now.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers
Caryn

Dr. Zuckerman on 10/29/02 at 11:36 (098555)

It can help with plantar fasciitis. I use it at times. It will increase the blood supply to the area by causing a vasdilation.( increase blood supply) I would recommend a local steriod injection near the area that the nerve is compressed.

Mar on 10/29/02 at 11:36 (098556)

I never realized that there were other message boards on this web site! Thanks for mentioning the social/support page! Here I've been burdening the doctors with whining!! Sorry!! Mar

carynz on 10/30/02 at 14:27 (098683)

thanks for your information about this injection. I had 6cc of marcaine injected yesterday into the posterior nerve and my foot and calf were totally numbed until this morning.

The rest of the numbness is just now fading away in the toe area. Obviously the injection did infiltrate the nerve and blocked any pain but now my doctor wants me to ahead with the posterior tibial nerve decompression surgery.

I have read about many of the surgeries on this site and don't know for sure if this is a common surgery procedure. Is this the same as the plantar release?

My doctor says there is a 30% chance of reoccurrence after surgery. I'm going to continue reading the surgery post site also.

regards,
caryn z

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 19:45 (098722)

Here is what I don't understand what was the purpose of the block. To diagnosis the nerver entrapement? I am just not sure what the significance is of the block. TTS surgery is a very long healing surgery with possible bad complications.

If the doctor is talking about the medial calcaneal nerve of the nerve called Dr. Baxter's nerve then this is different then a TTS surgery. Keep us updated.

carynz on 10/30/02 at 23:05 (098754)

Thank you Dr. Z.

I will take this info along with me to DPM on Friday and ask him this question. I have had so many names thrown at me I really don't know if I have one problem or a combination. I think that I can read about the surgeries until I'm blue in the face and get 50/50 on the good and bad. The DPM did tell me that there could be a 30% chance of reoccurrance with having surgery but said if I didn't have it I would be permanently disabled. This is the big decision I have to make. To top it off, I've been waiting almost 8 months now to have left shoulder surgery (to match my right which was done 3 yrs ago) and he suggested I have my foot done the same time! I told him absolutely not since it would be the same side of my body. I will do as you have asked and keep you updated.

Thanks,

Caryn

Des L. on 11/03/02 at 00:06 (099130)

Caryn,

Thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. I have just read this post today. I hope all the best for you and will watch for your name on the board to see how you are coming along.

Des

Re: Des L. re peripheal nerve block

carynz on 11/03/02 at 21:23 (099224)

hello Des,

thanks for your post today. I had a peripheal nerve block injection last Tuesday and my foot/calf stayed completely numb until 430pm on the Wednesday. At first I was not sure why I was even having the anasthetic injected but after asking my DPM the questions that Dr. Z (on this site) asked me, it was clear that he was 'confirming' what he thinks is causing all or most of my pain and it does appear to be the posterior tibial nerve that is damaged, but I do not know at this point how much it is damaged.

He has explained that the decompression surgery is guarded with about a 30 to 40% chance of a reoccurrence and I may end having another operation in 6 months time, however I have read on this site that many people have had this operation and the rsult seems to be different for everyone. Now it is a waiting game to see when I am able to get in for the surgery with my ortho doctor.

Here in BC we have a real delay in our health care system and the way it works. Earlier this year the doctors went out on 'strike' and many people suffered as a result of their job action which lasted a few months. Our provincial health care plan does not cover a lot of expenses for DPMs, and other things other than visits to your family doctor and medical surgeries as a necessity of life, so many surgeries were bumped unless you were a terminally ill patient. I've been waiting since June 6 to have surgery on my left shoulder for a calcium buildup on my rotator cuff and am now booked for Jan 28/03,although that could change if they get me in quickly for my foot.

I have constant pain/needles in my heel and underside of the foot and am finding that my foot cramps up a lot which is probably a side effect from the injection.

I will see my family doctor on Wednesday so will have some more information at that visit as to what time frame I might expect now.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers
Caryn