Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

airports love to make you walk

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 10/29/02 at 15:22 (098586)

I went to Seattle and could not believe the amount of walking I did.

I had to wait in a line to get on the plane...everyone's ids being checked. Then I had to walk a ways to the plane...then up steps.

My friend Miche wanted us to walk to the movies. 'It is just across the street'. 'Just across the street' turned out to be 20 minutes of walking on concrete. I took one break...then bit the bullet and walked the rest.
She came back with the car to get me, I wasn't going to do that again.

I rubbed her tiger balm into my feet, had sore inner ankles. My heels seemed to be ok. Inner ankles still a tad bit sore. Inner foot ITCHED a lot.

Then I took my brother's kids to target for 30 minutes 2 days later. I was not in pain! Went to wedding later...stood a lot. Then sat.

After sitting, icy air in hall (NO HEATING) and sitting for too long made me STIFF. I ached all over. Went back to hotel and soaked in tub.

Leg muscle was cramping in back of my knee.

I waiting in line for secuirty at Seatac. Stood while army people put my back pack through 2 times through x-ray and went thru stuff...walked across ENTIRE AIRPORT. Got in another line...but this one went ok speed...walked a while but not as far this time.

San Jose..walked down stairs...got slight charley horse but bareable....walked entire airport to baggage claim. Waited standing in office to get compensation for torn luggage.

Finally sat outside waiting for friend's car.

DARN GLAD TO BE BACK HOME. More walking then I have done in months!

Looks like:
1) heels doing ok during walks
2) inner ankles get very sore for some reason
3) intense itching when I push it
4) legs now having more pain than before as feet heal

Anybody have similar experience?

Re: airports love to make you walk

Carole C in NOLA on 10/29/02 at 15:30 (098589)

WOW! You really did a lot. I'm surprised and happy for you that you were able to do it. Hopefully in a few days you'll feel better.

The legs are sore because, as you mentioned, your feet are healing (so you are doing more).

The rest of it will probably get better if you rest, though I don't know the exact reasons for the itching and sore inner ankles.

Carole C

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 21:13 (098617)

Melissa--

This summer, I went to Europe on a connecting flight through Copenhagen. I'll never ever ever do that again (and neither should anyone with foot/walking problems). We landed in Terminal A as our flight was boarding at Terminal C. The airport is huge and the middle section, which of course you need to walk through, is like a shopping mall.

So you're in a hurry, trying desperately to catch your plane, dodging people who have time to kill (lucky them!), trying to find the signs to point you to the right terminal, yanking out your passport because the passport control folks are right in the middle of this melee, barring your progress... and you arrive, panting, at your gate just in time to hop the next flight. NOT my idea of fun--though I did figure at least I didn't have to worry about my workout for the day! I can't imagine how I'd have felt if I'd still been in the worst stages of PF.

The worst part about it is that it was exactly the same situation on the way home! So I am concluding that it's a scheduling problem at that airport, and am planning never ever to take a connecting flight through Copenhagen again.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/29/02 at 15:30 (098589)

WOW! You really did a lot. I'm surprised and happy for you that you were able to do it. Hopefully in a few days you'll feel better.

The legs are sore because, as you mentioned, your feet are healing (so you are doing more).

The rest of it will probably get better if you rest, though I don't know the exact reasons for the itching and sore inner ankles.

Carole C

Nancy N on 10/29/02 at 21:13 (098617)

Melissa--

This summer, I went to Europe on a connecting flight through Copenhagen. I'll never ever ever do that again (and neither should anyone with foot/walking problems). We landed in Terminal A as our flight was boarding at Terminal C. The airport is huge and the middle section, which of course you need to walk through, is like a shopping mall.

So you're in a hurry, trying desperately to catch your plane, dodging people who have time to kill (lucky them!), trying to find the signs to point you to the right terminal, yanking out your passport because the passport control folks are right in the middle of this melee, barring your progress... and you arrive, panting, at your gate just in time to hop the next flight. NOT my idea of fun--though I did figure at least I didn't have to worry about my workout for the day! I can't imagine how I'd have felt if I'd still been in the worst stages of PF.

The worst part about it is that it was exactly the same situation on the way home! So I am concluding that it's a scheduling problem at that airport, and am planning never ever to take a connecting flight through Copenhagen again.