Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery for tts after fracture

Posted by Kari B on 10/29/02 at 17:36 (098602)

Hi,
Is there anyone on this board who has had a tts release after trauma or injury to your foot? I am scheduled to have tts release because I damaged the nerve when I fractured my foot 6/12/02. If anyone has had this experience or just some suggestions for recovery (I have 3 kids and my hubby is military and gone ALOT). So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'll be waiting anxiously! This board has been a wealth of information to me that I've not been able to find anywhere else. Also, has anyone else dealt with workmans comp for treatment of this sort... I broke my foot while working and have been covered by WC the entire time so far... just wondered if anyone else would care to share some of their experiences with me. Nervous and anxious about having the surgery... hope someone can help! Wishing everyone a pain free life!!!!!
Kari

Re: surgery for tts after fracture

Sharon W on 10/29/02 at 18:58 (098608)

Kari,

I have had TTS surgery, but not because of a fracture.

My suggestion: if there is ANY way possible, especially since your husband is military could be called away and you have children at home, TRY to find someone -- a sister, a trusted friend, your mother, whoever -- to come and help you for at least the first 3 weeks after surgery. This is a surgical procedure that takes a while to recover from. You will NEED the help. Doctor's recommendations do vary for how long after TTS surgery before you can get out of your splint or cast, and for how long before you can start to walk again, but nobody goes dancing 3 days after this procedure!

Sharon

Re: Questions to ask your Dr. before surgery

Sharon W on 11/01/02 at 15:56 (098938)

These are from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (just click on this link):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=97&e=1&cid=97&u=/hsn/20021101/hl_hsn/surgery_smarts

I wish you the best of success, the best of luck, and the best of surgeons' skill.

Sharon

Kari B on 11/01/02 at 16:35 (098948)

Sharon,
Thank you for the link... I just got done reading it, writing down the questions and adding them to the list I have started. My main concern is that I had back surgery done 3 yrs ago without being told all my options before the surgery and was left with severe pain afterwards... not much relief other than the pain that was going down my leg due to the compression on the S1 nerve. I think the reason I let it happen is because I was in so much pain I just wanted to die or cut my leg off. I had been on morphine pills and liquid for about 4weeks prior because no other pain meds were touching the pain (the morphine didnt come close either) and I hadnt slept in about 8 weeks. The pain was controlling me and I just wanted whatever the Dr said would take my pain away. I didn't ask questions, I didnt seek other opinions, I just jumped on that table and was whisked away. I don't want to do the same thing this time and by the wonderful information everyone here has provided, I do feel like I have done most of the suggested trials before going to the surgical route. Thank you for the well wishes and the great advice. Unfortunately, my family doesnt live nearby, my only sister has cancer and unable to help out, my mother passed away this year and I have 3 kids that would be needing care as well. And to top it all off, my youngest (4 yrs old) is autistic and I am his primary caretaker. My only option I think would be to call my Stepmom and see if she wouldn't mind coming and staying in my home for a few weeks to help. I am racking my brain for all possible solutions. Do you or anyone on this board know whether workmans comp benefits could provide for an in home nurse for at least the first week or so? I have spoken to my claims adjuster but she's not much help and my attorney doesnt seem to know either... gosh, I think I live in the wrong state!! Anyway, thanks again!
Kari

Re: Home health care

Sharon W on 11/01/02 at 17:06 (098956)

Kari,

It is impossible to think clearly when you are in that much pain. I am sorry you have had to go through all of this.

My sister (in Washington state) recently looked into getting a home health nurse to visit after her surgery. She is retired, but she didn't have any luck with it. The 'rules' have changed in the last few years on home health care. It used to be much more available than it is now. Now it is pretty much up to the individual states, and that means in most places home health care is very hard to get. I would have thought, though, that for military families it would be a little easier...

Sometimes church groups will help people out after surgery. I was lucky enough to have a dear friend who was willing to come spend 3 weeks with us and help out after my own TTS surgery -- her help was a Godsend! I really don't know what I would have done without her...

Sharon

Re: surgery for tts after fracture

Sharon W on 10/29/02 at 18:58 (098608)

Kari,

I have had TTS surgery, but not because of a fracture.

My suggestion: if there is ANY way possible, especially since your husband is military could be called away and you have children at home, TRY to find someone -- a sister, a trusted friend, your mother, whoever -- to come and help you for at least the first 3 weeks after surgery. This is a surgical procedure that takes a while to recover from. You will NEED the help. Doctor's recommendations do vary for how long after TTS surgery before you can get out of your splint or cast, and for how long before you can start to walk again, but nobody goes dancing 3 days after this procedure!

Sharon

Sharon W on 11/01/02 at 15:56 (098938)

These are from the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (just click on this link):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=97&e=1&cid=97&u=/hsn/20021101/hl_hsn/surgery_smarts

I wish you the best of success, the best of luck, and the best of surgeons' skill.

Sharon

Kari B on 11/01/02 at 16:35 (098948)

Sharon,
Thank you for the link... I just got done reading it, writing down the questions and adding them to the list I have started. My main concern is that I had back surgery done 3 yrs ago without being told all my options before the surgery and was left with severe pain afterwards... not much relief other than the pain that was going down my leg due to the compression on the S1 nerve. I think the reason I let it happen is because I was in so much pain I just wanted to die or cut my leg off. I had been on morphine pills and liquid for about 4weeks prior because no other pain meds were touching the pain (the morphine didnt come close either) and I hadnt slept in about 8 weeks. The pain was controlling me and I just wanted whatever the Dr said would take my pain away. I didn't ask questions, I didnt seek other opinions, I just jumped on that table and was whisked away. I don't want to do the same thing this time and by the wonderful information everyone here has provided, I do feel like I have done most of the suggested trials before going to the surgical route. Thank you for the well wishes and the great advice. Unfortunately, my family doesnt live nearby, my only sister has cancer and unable to help out, my mother passed away this year and I have 3 kids that would be needing care as well. And to top it all off, my youngest (4 yrs old) is autistic and I am his primary caretaker. My only option I think would be to call my Stepmom and see if she wouldn't mind coming and staying in my home for a few weeks to help. I am racking my brain for all possible solutions. Do you or anyone on this board know whether workmans comp benefits could provide for an in home nurse for at least the first week or so? I have spoken to my claims adjuster but she's not much help and my attorney doesnt seem to know either... gosh, I think I live in the wrong state!! Anyway, thanks again!
Kari

Re: Home health care

Sharon W on 11/01/02 at 17:06 (098956)

Kari,

It is impossible to think clearly when you are in that much pain. I am sorry you have had to go through all of this.

My sister (in Washington state) recently looked into getting a home health nurse to visit after her surgery. She is retired, but she didn't have any luck with it. The 'rules' have changed in the last few years on home health care. It used to be much more available than it is now. Now it is pretty much up to the individual states, and that means in most places home health care is very hard to get. I would have thought, though, that for military families it would be a little easier...

Sometimes church groups will help people out after surgery. I was lucky enough to have a dear friend who was willing to come spend 3 weeks with us and help out after my own TTS surgery -- her help was a Godsend! I really don't know what I would have done without her...

Sharon