Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Average "down time" after ESWT?

Posted by Julie C. on 10/29/02 at 20:21 (098614)

I am awaiting approval for ESWT with the Ossatron. I am a nurse who has had PF off and on for the last 7 years. This last 'episode' started over a year ago. I haven't got a clear idea of how long I will have to be out of work after ESWT. I apologize if this has been answered in a previous posting. I also understand that the doc's estimate of time out of work is just that...an estimate. What are the realistic estimates? Is this the kind of thing that is usually covered by disability insurance?

Re: Average "down time" after ESWT?

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 09:07 (098657)

Hello

Here is what I have found with ESWT . Most patients can go back to work after an extra day of rest. I need to know exactly what you do at your job to tell you what will happen. Heavy lifting, standing is going to cause pain, however you are already in pain so it shouldn't be any different then your original pain. There is that rare patient that you have increased pain for short period of time. Who experiences this can't be predicted. Healing which is resolution of pain can take days, weeks, or months to heal. Good luck and feel free to answer any questions you may have

Julie C. on 10/30/02 at 15:56 (098688)

Just to clarify...I am talking about the one-time 'high-dose' treatment....and only an extra day off before returning to work is the average? That is encouraging! I am an Operating Room nurse actually, and our facility doesn't allow you to come back to work with limitations....you have to be able to do it all if you are back to work. Thanks for responding to my questions!

Mar on 10/30/02 at 16:44 (098696)

Julie -- I have had the high dose ESWT twice and both times the pain was increased for about a day and a half and then pretty much returned to where it was. The first time I took 1 day off work but wished I had taken 2. The second time i was on vacation, but 2 would have been good. If you are able to stand in the OR now, I guess you should be able to do so two days or so after the treatment. I cannot stand for more than a few minutes, but couldn;t before the ESWT either. It is the same. Good luck - Mar

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 19:29 (098707)

Hi

I use the high energy Dornier Epos and we allow patients to go back to work early. You should have breaks during procedure so that will help you.
Again I look at this as if you are in pain now and are able to function the rest is only improvement. Good luck

Steve on 11/08/02 at 23:49 (099653)

Which device were your treatments done with?

Mar on 11/09/02 at 13:55 (099677)

Steve --

My ESWTs were done with the Dornier Epos Ultra. Mar

Steve on 11/10/02 at 19:10 (099740)

Post treatment discomfort was reported by about 40+% of the Dornier FDA study patients.

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 09:07 (098657)

Hello

Here is what I have found with ESWT . Most patients can go back to work after an extra day of rest. I need to know exactly what you do at your job to tell you what will happen. Heavy lifting, standing is going to cause pain, however you are already in pain so it shouldn't be any different then your original pain. There is that rare patient that you have increased pain for short period of time. Who experiences this can't be predicted. Healing which is resolution of pain can take days, weeks, or months to heal. Good luck and feel free to answer any questions you may have

Julie C. on 10/30/02 at 15:56 (098688)

Just to clarify...I am talking about the one-time 'high-dose' treatment....and only an extra day off before returning to work is the average? That is encouraging! I am an Operating Room nurse actually, and our facility doesn't allow you to come back to work with limitations....you have to be able to do it all if you are back to work. Thanks for responding to my questions!

Mar on 10/30/02 at 16:44 (098696)

Julie -- I have had the high dose ESWT twice and both times the pain was increased for about a day and a half and then pretty much returned to where it was. The first time I took 1 day off work but wished I had taken 2. The second time i was on vacation, but 2 would have been good. If you are able to stand in the OR now, I guess you should be able to do so two days or so after the treatment. I cannot stand for more than a few minutes, but couldn;t before the ESWT either. It is the same. Good luck - Mar

Dr Zuckerman on 10/30/02 at 19:29 (098707)

Hi

I use the high energy Dornier Epos and we allow patients to go back to work early. You should have breaks during procedure so that will help you.
Again I look at this as if you are in pain now and are able to function the rest is only improvement. Good luck

Steve on 11/08/02 at 23:49 (099653)

Which device were your treatments done with?

Mar on 11/09/02 at 13:55 (099677)

Steve --

My ESWTs were done with the Dornier Epos Ultra. Mar

Steve on 11/10/02 at 19:10 (099740)

Post treatment discomfort was reported by about 40+% of the Dornier FDA study patients.