Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have PF--what kind of athletic shoes are best? (more)

Posted by ErinC on 10/29/02 at 21:24 (098621)

I had surgery for this about 6 years ago and have had NO problems until just a couple weeks ago. I bought some New Balance (expensive!) walking shoes and after ONE day of a lot of walking (probably 3-4 miles and some standing at a football game) I was in terrible heel pain. Now it's slightly better but any shoes other than my old Reebox DMX Walking shoes cause pain.

Question--what brands are KNOWN for lots of heel cushion? And what kind of shoe has more cushion--a running shoe or a walking shoe?

Thanks so much!

~Erin

Re: I have PF--what kind of athletic shoes are best? (more)

Necee on 10/30/02 at 01:06 (098641)

I think any good athletic shoe that is a cross trainer would have more cushion than just a walking shoe. I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes, and I find that they just don't have enough cushion for the ball of my foot, so I bought a pair of cross trainers and they are much better.

Happy trails...

Necee

Julie on 10/30/02 at 02:26 (098645)

That's too bad about your new New Balance shoes! Perhaps they weren't the right model for you: NB make many different styles for different types of feet. Having said that, I have a pair of NB 853s that I have never worn since I bought them, precisely because they have so little cushioning.

The shoes I have worn consistently for the last two years are North Face Targas. They're a hiking shoe, with plenty of cushioning throughout, thick soles with deep tread, and a wide, high toebox. If it's cushioning you're looking for, I don't think you could do better - as long as they suit your feet, of course. Mine are wide, and they might not suit a narrow foot as well.

Kathy G on 10/30/02 at 12:12 (098676)

I, personally, had terrible luck with New Balance and swear by Asics. It's very individual. My Pod, however, recommends running shoes, not walking shoes or cross trainers, because they tend to have more cushioning in them.

My sister-in-law has been the recipient of many pairs of running shoes that I bought and discovered didn't work or worsened my condition. My advice, if you find a style that works and you've worn a month or so with good results, go back and buy a couple more pairs because they're always discontinuing models!

Good Luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/30/02 at 22:28 (098748)

Erin:

Sometimes more cushioning is not better. If cushioning was the answer then everyone would need the Nike Air Max which is most cushioned shoe around.

Many need a combination of control and cushioning. The thing that is not easy to answer is how much control and how much cushioning because people's needs are different.

Running shoes often have better characteristics in both areas than walking shoes. Some to consider include: New Balance 1121, Brooks Ariel, Brooks Addiction V, ASICS MC Plus V, New Balance 587, Saucony Grid Stabil.
Ed

Jim C on 10/31/02 at 18:52 (098842)

Hi,

In my experience cushioning is not the key to healing, though it can be very comortable. I have a pair of nikes with a heel cushion that feel great when I first put them on, but my feet tend to fatigue and ache after a hour or so. I swear by my NB 1121's with a powerstep insert, not so comfy at first, but I can go all day in them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/31/02 at 20:31 (098849)

Jim:
Your experience is consistent with that of the vast majority of my plantar fasciitis patients.
Ed

Necee on 10/30/02 at 01:06 (098641)

I think any good athletic shoe that is a cross trainer would have more cushion than just a walking shoe. I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes, and I find that they just don't have enough cushion for the ball of my foot, so I bought a pair of cross trainers and they are much better.

Happy trails...

Necee

Julie on 10/30/02 at 02:26 (098645)

That's too bad about your new New Balance shoes! Perhaps they weren't the right model for you: NB make many different styles for different types of feet. Having said that, I have a pair of NB 853s that I have never worn since I bought them, precisely because they have so little cushioning.

The shoes I have worn consistently for the last two years are North Face Targas. They're a hiking shoe, with plenty of cushioning throughout, thick soles with deep tread, and a wide, high toebox. If it's cushioning you're looking for, I don't think you could do better - as long as they suit your feet, of course. Mine are wide, and they might not suit a narrow foot as well.

Kathy G on 10/30/02 at 12:12 (098676)

I, personally, had terrible luck with New Balance and swear by Asics. It's very individual. My Pod, however, recommends running shoes, not walking shoes or cross trainers, because they tend to have more cushioning in them.

My sister-in-law has been the recipient of many pairs of running shoes that I bought and discovered didn't work or worsened my condition. My advice, if you find a style that works and you've worn a month or so with good results, go back and buy a couple more pairs because they're always discontinuing models!

Good Luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/30/02 at 22:28 (098748)

Erin:

Sometimes more cushioning is not better. If cushioning was the answer then everyone would need the Nike Air Max which is most cushioned shoe around.

Many need a combination of control and cushioning. The thing that is not easy to answer is how much control and how much cushioning because people's needs are different.

Running shoes often have better characteristics in both areas than walking shoes. Some to consider include: New Balance 1121, Brooks Ariel, Brooks Addiction V, ASICS MC Plus V, New Balance 587, Saucony Grid Stabil.
Ed

Jim C on 10/31/02 at 18:52 (098842)

Hi,

In my experience cushioning is not the key to healing, though it can be very comortable. I have a pair of nikes with a heel cushion that feel great when I first put them on, but my feet tend to fatigue and ache after a hour or so. I swear by my NB 1121's with a powerstep insert, not so comfy at first, but I can go all day in them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/31/02 at 20:31 (098849)

Jim:
Your experience is consistent with that of the vast majority of my plantar fasciitis patients.
Ed