Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

questions I should ask before surgery

Posted by Kari B on 10/30/02 at 10:51 (098665)

Hi all,
I was hoping that you all could give me some suggestions of questions I should be/have asked my dr before surgery? I havent had my pre-op appt yet so I still have time if anyone can help me out on this. I'm making a list so I dont forget lol. Thanks everyone, hope this finds everyone feeling well and pain free!
Kari

Re: questions I should ask before surgery

angielyn on 11/02/02 at 15:01 (099056)

I really wish I could help you on this one. I go this Tues. to talk about surgery and have been thinking of things to ask myself. I have TTS and Post Tib Tendonitis which I believe is worse then the TTS. Ugh...

But, I will let ya know what we talk about this Tues. if you would like and it may give you ideas.

Kari B on 11/02/02 at 15:51 (099066)

Thank you so much... that would help greatly. Good luck with your surgery and keep me posted as to how things go! I certainly hope you get some relief!
Kari

Melanie E on 11/03/02 at 19:21 (099208)

I am working on my 'questions to ask' list. What I have so far is, how long is actual surgery, what is the length of incision and where, staples or stitches, how long off work, how long no weight-bearing, how long no driving? (with the fracture I was able to remove my boot to drive just had to be the right foot didn't it?) A temporary handicap sticker. (I should of had one for the non-weight bearing 2 months on crutches.I also will get a copy of the report of the second MRI. I always ask for copies of everything, blood work etc. I have an HMO years ago go bankrupt and it would have cost $40 to get copies of records. My mom lost all her medical history in the earthquake because the doctor's office collapsed. My dr was able to get records out before their building was torn down. It is just a good idea to have your own records for your files. Any other questions that anyone can think of?

Re: For Melanie - Questions to ask

Sharon W on 11/03/02 at 20:54 (099220)

Melanie,

I posted this recently on the Foot Surgery board, but you may not have seen it. This is a list of questions to ask before having surgery, composed by the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (just click on this link):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=97&e=1&cid=97&u=/hsn/20021101/hl_hsn/surgery_smarts

Sharon

cindy myerly on 11/04/02 at 15:04 (099309)

I have just been told that I need surgery for tarsel tunnel. Does your doctor feel that it will correct the problem? I have heard so many bad reports of more problems later than what people had originally. Any thoughts?

Please email me personally.

Thanks.

Tim H on 11/04/02 at 21:01 (099357)

Cindy - where did you hear of bad reports of more problems ? I too am considering surgery, and am also worried about the risk of making it worse but did not find bad experinces until this board.

This board has been extremely helpful for me.

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 23:20 (099389)

Tim, Cindy,

Tarsal tunnel surgery is risky but most people DO get at least partial relief from it, assuming they have a good surgeon and they were properly diagnosed in the first place.

Not all the stories of people who post on these boards are bad. My TTS surgery, so far, seems to have worked out pretty well... my pain (since the surgery) has reduced by about 80%, at this point... at 3 months past surgery, and counting!

Sharon

c. myerly on 11/05/02 at 01:11 (099391)

Most of what I have heard and read came from this site. Do you think that you will decide to have surgery?

angielyn on 11/05/02 at 19:18 (099466)

Welp, sorry I can't help ya on the questions cause of the following post (bbv.cgi?n=99465)

But, like usual I always forget to ask something. lol I get home and say to hubby.. Dangit, now I forgot to ask her this or ask her that. Ugh...

MelanieE on 11/06/02 at 20:48 (099536)

I went back to the surgeon yesterday. He looked at my MRI that I had Friday the impression stated possible slight improvement in the appearance of the osteochondra defect in the medial talar dome. small ankle and posterior subtalar joint effusions. Ok....It was interpreted that the bone is starting to grow back, the fracture is healed but not one mention of the TTS. I asked about that and the surgeon told me you can not tell from a MRI. That was a shock to me since the week before I heard different. Also the MRI tech told me they can follow the path of the nerve. (I have a call in to the tech) I then asked how long the surgery was and his response was about 1/2 hour, that the incision is about 5-7 inches long and is an ugly scar. He said I could walk on it right away. This was contrary to what he said before. I was told no weight-bearing and I would be on crutches at least two weeks. He said I could work if I wanted right away, I could drive right away if I could tolerate it. Whatever I wanted, as a patient, it was my decision. I asked if I should have physical therapy and he said if I wanted to I could, same with a temporary handicap sticker. I then asked would it matter if I tried to do some bike riding while I wait for surgery. HE said no it might aggravate it. I asked if after the surgery should I at least elevate the foot? He then said if it was his foot he wouldn't do anything with it because I could develop scar tissue and cause the TTS to reoccur. He said there is a success rate of 8 out of 10. He said carpal tunnel surgery is very successful but it is more complex with feet and the possiblity of limited motion after surgery. Ok, I finally felt I got an answer from him. I asked if perhaps I had created this situation because I didnt miss a day of work even though I was non-weightbearing on crutches and on my feet at work. He said that was possible. I know he is a good surgeon and he replaced my husband's hip, but I am not comfortable with his 'whatever the patient wants' attitude. I got a copy of my report and the nerve conduction test that stated at the bottom of the report RSD could this be a factor? and that was not mentioned to me. I have made an appointment with a sports podiatrist who operated on my toe a few years back. I want his opinion and I may have him do the surgery. However, I dont have an appointment until the 25th. I will certainly be reading these boards and I thank everyone for sharing information. Melanie

angielyn on 11/02/02 at 15:01 (099056)

I really wish I could help you on this one. I go this Tues. to talk about surgery and have been thinking of things to ask myself. I have TTS and Post Tib Tendonitis which I believe is worse then the TTS. Ugh...

But, I will let ya know what we talk about this Tues. if you would like and it may give you ideas.

Kari B on 11/02/02 at 15:51 (099066)

Thank you so much... that would help greatly. Good luck with your surgery and keep me posted as to how things go! I certainly hope you get some relief!
Kari

Melanie E on 11/03/02 at 19:21 (099208)

I am working on my 'questions to ask' list. What I have so far is, how long is actual surgery, what is the length of incision and where, staples or stitches, how long off work, how long no weight-bearing, how long no driving? (with the fracture I was able to remove my boot to drive just had to be the right foot didn't it?) A temporary handicap sticker. (I should of had one for the non-weight bearing 2 months on crutches.I also will get a copy of the report of the second MRI. I always ask for copies of everything, blood work etc. I have an HMO years ago go bankrupt and it would have cost $40 to get copies of records. My mom lost all her medical history in the earthquake because the doctor's office collapsed. My dr was able to get records out before their building was torn down. It is just a good idea to have your own records for your files. Any other questions that anyone can think of?

Sharon W on 11/03/02 at 20:54 (099220)

Melanie,

I posted this recently on the Foot Surgery board, but you may not have seen it. This is a list of questions to ask before having surgery, composed by the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (just click on this link):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=97&e=1&cid=97&u=/hsn/20021101/hl_hsn/surgery_smarts

Sharon

cindy myerly on 11/04/02 at 15:04 (099309)

I have just been told that I need surgery for tarsel tunnel. Does your doctor feel that it will correct the problem? I have heard so many bad reports of more problems later than what people had originally. Any thoughts?

Please email me personally.

Thanks.

Tim H on 11/04/02 at 21:01 (099357)

Cindy - where did you hear of bad reports of more problems ? I too am considering surgery, and am also worried about the risk of making it worse but did not find bad experinces until this board.

This board has been extremely helpful for me.

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 23:20 (099389)

Tim, Cindy,

Tarsal tunnel surgery is risky but most people DO get at least partial relief from it, assuming they have a good surgeon and they were properly diagnosed in the first place.

Not all the stories of people who post on these boards are bad. My TTS surgery, so far, seems to have worked out pretty well... my pain (since the surgery) has reduced by about 80%, at this point... at 3 months past surgery, and counting!

Sharon

c. myerly on 11/05/02 at 01:11 (099391)

Most of what I have heard and read came from this site. Do you think that you will decide to have surgery?

angielyn on 11/05/02 at 19:18 (099466)

Welp, sorry I can't help ya on the questions cause of the following post (bbv.cgi?n=99465)

But, like usual I always forget to ask something. lol I get home and say to hubby.. Dangit, now I forgot to ask her this or ask her that. Ugh...

MelanieE on 11/06/02 at 20:48 (099536)

I went back to the surgeon yesterday. He looked at my MRI that I had Friday the impression stated possible slight improvement in the appearance of the osteochondra defect in the medial talar dome. small ankle and posterior subtalar joint effusions. Ok....It was interpreted that the bone is starting to grow back, the fracture is healed but not one mention of the TTS. I asked about that and the surgeon told me you can not tell from a MRI. That was a shock to me since the week before I heard different. Also the MRI tech told me they can follow the path of the nerve. (I have a call in to the tech) I then asked how long the surgery was and his response was about 1/2 hour, that the incision is about 5-7 inches long and is an ugly scar. He said I could walk on it right away. This was contrary to what he said before. I was told no weight-bearing and I would be on crutches at least two weeks. He said I could work if I wanted right away, I could drive right away if I could tolerate it. Whatever I wanted, as a patient, it was my decision. I asked if I should have physical therapy and he said if I wanted to I could, same with a temporary handicap sticker. I then asked would it matter if I tried to do some bike riding while I wait for surgery. HE said no it might aggravate it. I asked if after the surgery should I at least elevate the foot? He then said if it was his foot he wouldn't do anything with it because I could develop scar tissue and cause the TTS to reoccur. He said there is a success rate of 8 out of 10. He said carpal tunnel surgery is very successful but it is more complex with feet and the possiblity of limited motion after surgery. Ok, I finally felt I got an answer from him. I asked if perhaps I had created this situation because I didnt miss a day of work even though I was non-weightbearing on crutches and on my feet at work. He said that was possible. I know he is a good surgeon and he replaced my husband's hip, but I am not comfortable with his 'whatever the patient wants' attitude. I got a copy of my report and the nerve conduction test that stated at the bottom of the report RSD could this be a factor? and that was not mentioned to me. I have made an appointment with a sports podiatrist who operated on my toe a few years back. I want his opinion and I may have him do the surgery. However, I dont have an appointment until the 25th. I will certainly be reading these boards and I thank everyone for sharing information. Melanie