Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do orthotics stretch the PF?

Posted by Peter F on 11/01/02 at 03:47 (098871)

I have been adv to try this board for advice re orthotics-I have had prev custom orthotics which hurt the medial side of the heel so always gave up.I have now been told that orthotics work by stretching old scar tissue so will be uncomfortable at first-I have used spencos for 2 months now and they are def less painful but my heels feel v full all day (like rolled up socks in my shoe) If I put supafeet insoles in (blue) they hurt my tender heel spots like spencos used to.Should I 'push the boat out' and use supafeet to stretch the arch that little bit further?

Also can anyone tell me the normal healing process for PF-does the acute pain go but one is left with and ache/fullness for many months as it gradually improves or am I just kidding myself??

Thanks!

Re: Do orthotics stretch the PF?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/01/02 at 16:58 (098954)

I don't know about the technical aspects of orthotics. My soft custom orthotics didn't seem to stretch anything, but instead seemed to keep my PF from overstretching and protected them. But that's just my idea of how they felt. Mine worked pretty well for me and felt really REALLY good from the very first day. It could be that orthotics with different prescriptions do different things.

I have no idea about your question regarding Spencos and Superfeet. Maybe somebody else knows.

I can answer your question about the healing process for PF. At least I can tell you how it went for me, and my PF was pretty typical apparently.

My PF is essentially healed now. I got it in Sept. 2001, got diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving, and got my custom orthotics the first week in December. In November, December, and January my pain was pretty acute... level 8-9 on a scale of 1-10. I could neither stand for five minutes nor walk fifty feet. I tried everything so that they would heal.

During the last two weeks in February the pain dropped markedly, from a level 8 to a level 2-3 in just a couple of weeks. At that point I was able to go to Wal-Mart, the grocery store, and so on without problems, but I still had to be extremely cautious not to overdo, and still had to ice in the evenings, always wear shoes, and stretch and so on. This was probably the achey stage you are imagining.

In March through maybe June it was a 1-2. Now it's a level 0-1 or maybe 0 to 1/2, and I can do just as much or more than before PF and seldom feel PF pain.

Looking back on it, November through the end of January were my months of 'PF hell'. From February on, I could do what I needed to do for a normal life, run errands, and so on. I wasn't in 'PF hell', but until recently I still had to be careful, and I would still feel PF pain if I overdid it. So maybe your idea of the healing process is close.

The thing is, it seems like the course of PF is different for each of us. This at least gives you information on how healing went for one person.

Carole C

Kathy G on 11/01/02 at 17:03 (098955)

Hi Peter,

Peruse the boards and make sure to read, or at least scan, the Heel Pain Book. It contains a wealth of information. You will note from the posts that orthotics/inserts are very individual and what works for one doesn't necessarily work another. It seems to be trial and error. I, for example, recently had my orthotics relined and the doctor told me to use Spenco innersoles in the meantime and they just killed my feet! Others have had good luck with them.

The time that PF lasts also varies from person to person and all I can say is that my Pod said that 90% of the people who get it will be cured. He didn't say what he considered an average time. For me, I would think I was dead if my feet didn't hurt. Some days are better than others and it usually has to do with my level of activity the day or two before as opposed to what I did that particular day. Nevertheless, I am much better than I was a year ago and I'm optimistic that I will continue to improve.

Happy reading and welcome to the Boards!

Peter F on 11/02/02 at 07:20 (098988)

Thanks for the info-the boards certainly are excellent

Peter F on 11/02/02 at 07:21 (098989)

Carole
Thanks again-each time I ask a question you always make the effort to give a full reply-v much appreciated

Carole C in NOLA on 11/02/02 at 09:19 (099000)

Thank, Peter. I just wish I had all the answers about the orthotics. I know that if my orthotics hurt or were uncomfortable, I'd be thinking something was wrong with them. But then, I would think that probably custom orthotics are supposed to do different things for different types of foot problems.

One thing that I'm really curious about is how much one has to wear orthotics to get any benefit at all from them. Every day, or is there any benefit if one just wears them a couple of days a week? How many hours a day, after break-in? And so on. I know that ideally one SHOULD wear them a lot, but not all of us do.

I've never even tried on any over the counter orthotics because the ones I've seen in the stores look SO ineffectual. The depth between the bumps and valleys in my terrific foam-and-eva custom orthotics appears to be several times as much as in the over the counter orthotics I've seen, which look very flat, thin, skimpy, and useless by comparison.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/02/02 at 16:08 (099071)

No, orthotics for PF are generally designed to relieve plantar fascial tension. Custom orthotics should not hurt the medial side of your heel -- did you ask your doc why?
Ed

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 06:55 (099132)

everything I seem to put in any shoe hurts the medial side of my heel-he said it is because I have had it for 2 yrs so the fascia is in a shortened contracted position-I have infact being using shoes with no medial bump or arch at all to stop those areas pressing on the heel-I thought medial arche supports were worsening it by pressing on it.Obv completely wrong and I must say that the spenco crosstrainers are becoming more comfortable now.

Unfortunately cycling sets it back after 36 hrs so I really must stop I suppose.

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 07:01 (099133)

Carole-it is interesting that you mentioned breaking orthotics in-yet the pods seem to say that orthotics shouldn't ever hurt-isn't it a reality that anything hurts our sore feet at first and thats what we all mean by 'breaking them in' ? (I never dreamt that I would break my Birks in and I have-even when I bought a new pair they felt great so our fascia must be quite malleable)

PS I like the post about mowing the grass-it is a fantastic sunny Autumn day in England -I was just thinking that when my feet get better I will feel as if I have won the lottery for the rest of my life-not many people will have that joy-maybe PF is sent to make us think.

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 07:05 (099134)

PS I must admit that Birks have NEVER hurt the medial side of my heel-perhaps I need custom orthotics but I am just happy that my spencos are starting to feel comfortable after 2 months of trying them

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 08:38 (099143)

I really think you are right about the joy. It really IS like winning the lottery for the rest of my life. Yesterday was a cool, lovely day in New Orleans too, and I did the edging on my lawn with a weed-eater (having mowed on Thursday after work). Such bliss! Most people just would not understand. :)

My C.Ped didn't say much of anything about breaking in my soft custom orthotics either. She made them on the spot and then watched me walk and made several minor adjustments. By the time I went home, I had been wearing them for an hour already and they felt great. She said that I should wear them at work and wear my Birkenstocks when at home, for variety, but didn't mention a break-in. In my case, I took to the orthotics like a duck to water, so that was no problem.

From what I've read on this message board, I had an exceptionally good experience with my custom orthotics. Apparently most people here seem to do better with a break-in period for their orthotics.

I did break in my Birkenstocks, and that seemed like a good idea because at first they became less comfortable after a couple of hours. Later I could wear them longer.

Carole C

Re: How about a night splint?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 08:48 (099144)

Peter, if he says that your fascia is in a shortened, contracted position, then first of all it sounds to me like a night splint might help you tremendously.

Also, you might benefit from gentle, non-weightbearing (seated) stretching exercises such as Julie described. Here's a link to the post where she describes them:

bbv.cgi?n=91080

Eventually with the night splint and/or proper stretching, the contraction of your fascia should improve considerably, I would think.

Carole C

Re: Gratitude and Joy...

Suzanne D on 11/03/02 at 12:01 (099168)

You make a very good point, Peter, about being so grateful to be able to do 'simple things' again without pain.

I am not as healed as Carole and some of the others, but I am greatly improved from a year ago, and there is not a day that goes by that I do not feel gratitude for that fact. When I take my children upstairs to the library at school, when I walk from the parking lot into Wal-Mart and realize I didn't wince with every step, I am immensely thankful.

I have observed through life that people tend to react in one of two ways to hardship and pain: they either die a little on the inside and become wrapped in their pain and misery or they let it educate them and bring about a heightened sense of appreciation and joy for the good in their lives. (Of course the depression and inner struggle plays a part in all of us at the beginning of a challenge, but if we can overcome and reach for the learning and growing, then we arrive at the place you are speaking of - and it is a very good place to be.)

I guess 'No rain; no rainbows' might describe what you are saying. Now I wish I could remember where I read that quote the other day! That's a particular failing of mine: I have trouble remembering where I heard or read something. But at least I can remember the idea!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Now I remember...

Suzanne D on 11/03/02 at 12:03 (099169)

'No rain; no rainbows' was on a t-shirt a friend bought when he visited Hawaii during our October break from school. I knew as soon as I clicked to post the above message I would remember!

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 03:45 (099240)

Thanks Carole-night splints seem harder to get in the Uk but I might just look into them-mind you I am a light sleeper as it is-having said that if Buzz Aldrin can sleep in a space suit I may as well give them a go!

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 03:54 (099241)

Its expaining to my 30 yr old friends that I cant hike or mountain bike that is difficult-they say they understand and then phone up in a fortnight to see if i am ready to go out again-I would run up a mountain 3 times a day to get this better-it is resting and losing my identity as an outdoor person that really hurts

Maybe I need a trip to Hawaii !

Julie on 11/04/02 at 05:51 (099244)

Peter, a night splint, which holds the foot in a gently dorsiflexed position for a long period of time overnight (or during the day - watching TV for instance) counteracts the tendency of the calf muscles and achilles tendon to shorten while the foot is plantarflexed, as it is while sleeping or sitting. I believe it's most likely to be of help if your calf/achilles complex is short and tight. The one Scott sells on this website, the N'Ice Stretch, has been recommended by several users as softer and more comfortable and easier to tolerate than others. You can buy it here online.

Re orthotics - if Birks don't give you trouble but Spencos do (or did) I would regard that as a sign that you could probably do with custom orthotics. Perhaps your first pair wasn't correctly casted and/or made? Might be worth another try.

And don't forget taping (did I mention this earlier?) If it works, it will make you feel much better. Instructions/pictures in the heel pain book part 2.

Be hopeful! I can't remember (if you said) how long you've had PF, but if you're patient and rest and are consistent with treatment, you will get better. Most people do. Just imagine yourself a year from now on a brilliant sunny Autumn day like today, walking in the hills.

What hills do you walk in, by the way? You said you're up north - Scotland? Northumberland? Derbyshire?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/04/02 at 08:37 (099253)

Peter,
The orthotics are designed to support the plantar fascia to prevent it from stretching. Try the orthotics in another pair of shoes to see if it still hurts your heel. It may need to be slightly adjusted. It is possible that it is not interfaced correctly with your shoes. It should sit flat inside your shoes. some orthotics are rounded on the bottom. This causes the orthotic to 'rock' and not sit steady inside your shoes.
Richard. C.Ped

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 10:34 (099271)

Thanks Richard-the Spencos feel ok in wide shoes but hurt in more narrow shoes-today is probably my best in 2 yrs -I am sure it is because I havent cycled for a fortnight

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 10:36 (099272)

Julie

Thanks-I tend to walk in the Yorkshire Dales but also in the Lakes

I havent yet tried a night splint-mainly because of no morning pain for a year now-my worst days are simply a dull ache all day in the heels and arch-can you buy them online even if in UK?do they ship them?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/04/02 at 11:36 (099279)

After your feet heal, you'll have plenty of time to hike and mountain bike and surpass them all!

Like most people, your friends just don't understand PF and probably think you just have sore feet or something. All you can do is to be patient and pleasant with them.

Don't feel like you are losing your identity as an outdoor person... you obviously are one and I think you know that.

It doesn't matter whether or not your friends still perceive you to be an outdoor person, because you will amply demonstrate to them what an outdoor man you are, at length, once you are better!

Your motivation to reach your goals and your focus may both improve from this time off of your feet. Remember that 90-95% of people with PF recover completely, so your chances are excellent that you will be hiking and biking all you wish once your feet have healed, and showing those 30 yr olds how it's REALLY done. :)

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 14:28 (099302)

Peter:
The reason for making a custom device is just for that reason -- I am unsure I can accept the answer you were given.
Ed

Julie on 11/04/02 at 16:56 (099324)

You'll have to ask Scott, but I think he would ship to the UK.

Lucky you having the Dales and the Lakes near enough to enjoy! I wish you back there very soon.

Peter F on 11/06/02 at 08:48 (099496)

Thanks Carole-2 weeks of rest have helped to a massive degree-so much so that I no longer pine for biking and hiking its so much better to have less painful feet (I stopped hiking 8 months ago but kidded myself that cycling wasn't the cause)-have a skiing holdiday booked for Feb_YIKES!!-I may even take some good novels and enjoy sledging instead(now that will take some will power)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/02 at 15:58 (099520)

Great! I'm glad to hear that your feet are less painful. It will probably take some time but they will eventually heal.

Carole C

Peter F on 11/08/02 at 05:09 (099622)

Thankyou for your interest-my feet are feeling a lot better in spenco cross trainers now provided I do not cycle or hike -on balance do you think I should carry on or try for some more custom orthotics-in other words might I be missing out on some treatment even though the feet are feeling more settled??

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/09/02 at 13:47 (099675)

Custom orthotics could potentially allow increased function if they are made correctly and adjusted to comfort.
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 11/01/02 at 16:58 (098954)

I don't know about the technical aspects of orthotics. My soft custom orthotics didn't seem to stretch anything, but instead seemed to keep my PF from overstretching and protected them. But that's just my idea of how they felt. Mine worked pretty well for me and felt really REALLY good from the very first day. It could be that orthotics with different prescriptions do different things.

I have no idea about your question regarding Spencos and Superfeet. Maybe somebody else knows.

I can answer your question about the healing process for PF. At least I can tell you how it went for me, and my PF was pretty typical apparently.

My PF is essentially healed now. I got it in Sept. 2001, got diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving, and got my custom orthotics the first week in December. In November, December, and January my pain was pretty acute... level 8-9 on a scale of 1-10. I could neither stand for five minutes nor walk fifty feet. I tried everything so that they would heal.

During the last two weeks in February the pain dropped markedly, from a level 8 to a level 2-3 in just a couple of weeks. At that point I was able to go to Wal-Mart, the grocery store, and so on without problems, but I still had to be extremely cautious not to overdo, and still had to ice in the evenings, always wear shoes, and stretch and so on. This was probably the achey stage you are imagining.

In March through maybe June it was a 1-2. Now it's a level 0-1 or maybe 0 to 1/2, and I can do just as much or more than before PF and seldom feel PF pain.

Looking back on it, November through the end of January were my months of 'PF hell'. From February on, I could do what I needed to do for a normal life, run errands, and so on. I wasn't in 'PF hell', but until recently I still had to be careful, and I would still feel PF pain if I overdid it. So maybe your idea of the healing process is close.

The thing is, it seems like the course of PF is different for each of us. This at least gives you information on how healing went for one person.

Carole C

Kathy G on 11/01/02 at 17:03 (098955)

Hi Peter,

Peruse the boards and make sure to read, or at least scan, the Heel Pain Book. It contains a wealth of information. You will note from the posts that orthotics/inserts are very individual and what works for one doesn't necessarily work another. It seems to be trial and error. I, for example, recently had my orthotics relined and the doctor told me to use Spenco innersoles in the meantime and they just killed my feet! Others have had good luck with them.

The time that PF lasts also varies from person to person and all I can say is that my Pod said that 90% of the people who get it will be cured. He didn't say what he considered an average time. For me, I would think I was dead if my feet didn't hurt. Some days are better than others and it usually has to do with my level of activity the day or two before as opposed to what I did that particular day. Nevertheless, I am much better than I was a year ago and I'm optimistic that I will continue to improve.

Happy reading and welcome to the Boards!

Peter F on 11/02/02 at 07:20 (098988)

Thanks for the info-the boards certainly are excellent

Peter F on 11/02/02 at 07:21 (098989)

Carole
Thanks again-each time I ask a question you always make the effort to give a full reply-v much appreciated

Carole C in NOLA on 11/02/02 at 09:19 (099000)

Thank, Peter. I just wish I had all the answers about the orthotics. I know that if my orthotics hurt or were uncomfortable, I'd be thinking something was wrong with them. But then, I would think that probably custom orthotics are supposed to do different things for different types of foot problems.

One thing that I'm really curious about is how much one has to wear orthotics to get any benefit at all from them. Every day, or is there any benefit if one just wears them a couple of days a week? How many hours a day, after break-in? And so on. I know that ideally one SHOULD wear them a lot, but not all of us do.

I've never even tried on any over the counter orthotics because the ones I've seen in the stores look SO ineffectual. The depth between the bumps and valleys in my terrific foam-and-eva custom orthotics appears to be several times as much as in the over the counter orthotics I've seen, which look very flat, thin, skimpy, and useless by comparison.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/02/02 at 16:08 (099071)

No, orthotics for PF are generally designed to relieve plantar fascial tension. Custom orthotics should not hurt the medial side of your heel -- did you ask your doc why?
Ed

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 06:55 (099132)

everything I seem to put in any shoe hurts the medial side of my heel-he said it is because I have had it for 2 yrs so the fascia is in a shortened contracted position-I have infact being using shoes with no medial bump or arch at all to stop those areas pressing on the heel-I thought medial arche supports were worsening it by pressing on it.Obv completely wrong and I must say that the spenco crosstrainers are becoming more comfortable now.

Unfortunately cycling sets it back after 36 hrs so I really must stop I suppose.

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 07:01 (099133)

Carole-it is interesting that you mentioned breaking orthotics in-yet the pods seem to say that orthotics shouldn't ever hurt-isn't it a reality that anything hurts our sore feet at first and thats what we all mean by 'breaking them in' ? (I never dreamt that I would break my Birks in and I have-even when I bought a new pair they felt great so our fascia must be quite malleable)

PS I like the post about mowing the grass-it is a fantastic sunny Autumn day in England -I was just thinking that when my feet get better I will feel as if I have won the lottery for the rest of my life-not many people will have that joy-maybe PF is sent to make us think.

Peter F on 11/03/02 at 07:05 (099134)

PS I must admit that Birks have NEVER hurt the medial side of my heel-perhaps I need custom orthotics but I am just happy that my spencos are starting to feel comfortable after 2 months of trying them

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 08:38 (099143)

I really think you are right about the joy. It really IS like winning the lottery for the rest of my life. Yesterday was a cool, lovely day in New Orleans too, and I did the edging on my lawn with a weed-eater (having mowed on Thursday after work). Such bliss! Most people just would not understand. :)

My C.Ped didn't say much of anything about breaking in my soft custom orthotics either. She made them on the spot and then watched me walk and made several minor adjustments. By the time I went home, I had been wearing them for an hour already and they felt great. She said that I should wear them at work and wear my Birkenstocks when at home, for variety, but didn't mention a break-in. In my case, I took to the orthotics like a duck to water, so that was no problem.

From what I've read on this message board, I had an exceptionally good experience with my custom orthotics. Apparently most people here seem to do better with a break-in period for their orthotics.

I did break in my Birkenstocks, and that seemed like a good idea because at first they became less comfortable after a couple of hours. Later I could wear them longer.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 08:48 (099144)

Peter, if he says that your fascia is in a shortened, contracted position, then first of all it sounds to me like a night splint might help you tremendously.

Also, you might benefit from gentle, non-weightbearing (seated) stretching exercises such as Julie described. Here's a link to the post where she describes them:

bbv.cgi?n=91080

Eventually with the night splint and/or proper stretching, the contraction of your fascia should improve considerably, I would think.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 11/03/02 at 12:01 (099168)

You make a very good point, Peter, about being so grateful to be able to do 'simple things' again without pain.

I am not as healed as Carole and some of the others, but I am greatly improved from a year ago, and there is not a day that goes by that I do not feel gratitude for that fact. When I take my children upstairs to the library at school, when I walk from the parking lot into Wal-Mart and realize I didn't wince with every step, I am immensely thankful.

I have observed through life that people tend to react in one of two ways to hardship and pain: they either die a little on the inside and become wrapped in their pain and misery or they let it educate them and bring about a heightened sense of appreciation and joy for the good in their lives. (Of course the depression and inner struggle plays a part in all of us at the beginning of a challenge, but if we can overcome and reach for the learning and growing, then we arrive at the place you are speaking of - and it is a very good place to be.)

I guess 'No rain; no rainbows' might describe what you are saying. Now I wish I could remember where I read that quote the other day! That's a particular failing of mine: I have trouble remembering where I heard or read something. But at least I can remember the idea!

Re: Now I remember...

Suzanne D on 11/03/02 at 12:03 (099169)

'No rain; no rainbows' was on a t-shirt a friend bought when he visited Hawaii during our October break from school. I knew as soon as I clicked to post the above message I would remember!

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 03:45 (099240)

Thanks Carole-night splints seem harder to get in the Uk but I might just look into them-mind you I am a light sleeper as it is-having said that if Buzz Aldrin can sleep in a space suit I may as well give them a go!

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 03:54 (099241)

Its expaining to my 30 yr old friends that I cant hike or mountain bike that is difficult-they say they understand and then phone up in a fortnight to see if i am ready to go out again-I would run up a mountain 3 times a day to get this better-it is resting and losing my identity as an outdoor person that really hurts

Maybe I need a trip to Hawaii !

Julie on 11/04/02 at 05:51 (099244)

Peter, a night splint, which holds the foot in a gently dorsiflexed position for a long period of time overnight (or during the day - watching TV for instance) counteracts the tendency of the calf muscles and achilles tendon to shorten while the foot is plantarflexed, as it is while sleeping or sitting. I believe it's most likely to be of help if your calf/achilles complex is short and tight. The one Scott sells on this website, the N'Ice Stretch, has been recommended by several users as softer and more comfortable and easier to tolerate than others. You can buy it here online.

Re orthotics - if Birks don't give you trouble but Spencos do (or did) I would regard that as a sign that you could probably do with custom orthotics. Perhaps your first pair wasn't correctly casted and/or made? Might be worth another try.

And don't forget taping (did I mention this earlier?) If it works, it will make you feel much better. Instructions/pictures in the heel pain book part 2.

Be hopeful! I can't remember (if you said) how long you've had PF, but if you're patient and rest and are consistent with treatment, you will get better. Most people do. Just imagine yourself a year from now on a brilliant sunny Autumn day like today, walking in the hills.

What hills do you walk in, by the way? You said you're up north - Scotland? Northumberland? Derbyshire?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/04/02 at 08:37 (099253)

Peter,
The orthotics are designed to support the plantar fascia to prevent it from stretching. Try the orthotics in another pair of shoes to see if it still hurts your heel. It may need to be slightly adjusted. It is possible that it is not interfaced correctly with your shoes. It should sit flat inside your shoes. some orthotics are rounded on the bottom. This causes the orthotic to 'rock' and not sit steady inside your shoes.
Richard. C.Ped

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 10:34 (099271)

Thanks Richard-the Spencos feel ok in wide shoes but hurt in more narrow shoes-today is probably my best in 2 yrs -I am sure it is because I havent cycled for a fortnight

Peter F on 11/04/02 at 10:36 (099272)

Julie

Thanks-I tend to walk in the Yorkshire Dales but also in the Lakes

I havent yet tried a night splint-mainly because of no morning pain for a year now-my worst days are simply a dull ache all day in the heels and arch-can you buy them online even if in UK?do they ship them?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/04/02 at 11:36 (099279)

After your feet heal, you'll have plenty of time to hike and mountain bike and surpass them all!

Like most people, your friends just don't understand PF and probably think you just have sore feet or something. All you can do is to be patient and pleasant with them.

Don't feel like you are losing your identity as an outdoor person... you obviously are one and I think you know that.

It doesn't matter whether or not your friends still perceive you to be an outdoor person, because you will amply demonstrate to them what an outdoor man you are, at length, once you are better!

Your motivation to reach your goals and your focus may both improve from this time off of your feet. Remember that 90-95% of people with PF recover completely, so your chances are excellent that you will be hiking and biking all you wish once your feet have healed, and showing those 30 yr olds how it's REALLY done. :)

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 14:28 (099302)

Peter:
The reason for making a custom device is just for that reason -- I am unsure I can accept the answer you were given.
Ed

Julie on 11/04/02 at 16:56 (099324)

You'll have to ask Scott, but I think he would ship to the UK.

Lucky you having the Dales and the Lakes near enough to enjoy! I wish you back there very soon.

Peter F on 11/06/02 at 08:48 (099496)

Thanks Carole-2 weeks of rest have helped to a massive degree-so much so that I no longer pine for biking and hiking its so much better to have less painful feet (I stopped hiking 8 months ago but kidded myself that cycling wasn't the cause)-have a skiing holdiday booked for Feb_YIKES!!-I may even take some good novels and enjoy sledging instead(now that will take some will power)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/02 at 15:58 (099520)

Great! I'm glad to hear that your feet are less painful. It will probably take some time but they will eventually heal.

Carole C

Peter F on 11/08/02 at 05:09 (099622)

Thankyou for your interest-my feet are feeling a lot better in spenco cross trainers now provided I do not cycle or hike -on balance do you think I should carry on or try for some more custom orthotics-in other words might I be missing out on some treatment even though the feet are feeling more settled??

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/09/02 at 13:47 (099675)

Custom orthotics could potentially allow increased function if they are made correctly and adjusted to comfort.
Ed