Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

numb big toe

Posted by joyce on 11/01/02 at 07:43 (098880)

I have a tingling/numb big toe on my right foot. I don't wear high heel nor tight fitting shoes, have no history of diabetes, and no joint disformities. Does anyone have any insight as to the cause of this?

Re: numb big toe

Traci I on 11/04/02 at 10:45 (099274)

Hi.
This is our experience with the same thing as you describe. I wish I had had the info I have now when this happened to us. We could have saved a lot of pain.... About three years ago, my husband experienced the same thing with numbing and tingling in the big toe. Sometimes there would be a sharp pain. I did searches and came up with lots of stuff from gout to diabetes. We had his blood tested and it was fine. What transpired over the next year or so was the sensation spreading...along with the discomfort. What was happening with him is neropathy. He was in the initial stages of diabetes militus. By the time it was figured out what was going on, it was both of his feet and one finger on his hand. Now that we know the reason, we have it controlled through diet and are treating the neropathy with B-12 injections. It is making a slow come back, but it is turning around. You might try taking B-12 supplements...injection is much more effective, but oral works sometimes too. Kepp a close watch on your glucose levels and limit sweets and carbs. IF it is the beginning stages it CAN be reversed before any damage is done by doing those simple things. If it isn't the case it sure can't hurt and the B-12 will help anyway. It's a win win situation....good luck!

Re: numb big toe

Traci I on 11/04/02 at 10:45 (099274)

Hi.
This is our experience with the same thing as you describe. I wish I had had the info I have now when this happened to us. We could have saved a lot of pain.... About three years ago, my husband experienced the same thing with numbing and tingling in the big toe. Sometimes there would be a sharp pain. I did searches and came up with lots of stuff from gout to diabetes. We had his blood tested and it was fine. What transpired over the next year or so was the sensation spreading...along with the discomfort. What was happening with him is neropathy. He was in the initial stages of diabetes militus. By the time it was figured out what was going on, it was both of his feet and one finger on his hand. Now that we know the reason, we have it controlled through diet and are treating the neropathy with B-12 injections. It is making a slow come back, but it is turning around. You might try taking B-12 supplements...injection is much more effective, but oral works sometimes too. Kepp a close watch on your glucose levels and limit sweets and carbs. IF it is the beginning stages it CAN be reversed before any damage is done by doing those simple things. If it isn't the case it sure can't hurt and the B-12 will help anyway. It's a win win situation....good luck!