Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any tried Neuromuscular massage/deep tissue M.?

Posted by Lara T on 11/01/02 at 10:03 (098893)

I hope I have the name correct. I've also heard it referred to as Deep Tissue Massage (DTM) - assuming I haven't confused two different things. It's the type of massage where the masseus pushes deep in order to stretch the muscle. It's somewhat painful, but that can be monitored and moderated in response to the client's pain tolerance. I believe it's popular in sports medicine circles.

I've thought of trying it, but I hate to spend hundreds of dollars and several hours of my life for a treatment that makes no sense. Several years ago I had DTM done for a persistent problem with the hamstring in my hip, unrelated - or possibly tangentially related - to my TTS(do you know how hard it is to try and stretch the hamstring in your hip yourself?) I don't know whether the 'deep tissue massage' was part of the reason for improvement in my hip or not. My hip did get better, although the thing that finally made it go away (over a month after it showed up and stuck around 24/7) was an exercise where I stood straight and raised my leg to the side, in line with the plan of my body. Sort of a simple exercise when it was all over that I ran across serendipitously.

Thanks for any light you can shine on this.

Re: Any tried Neuromuscular massage/deep tissue M.?

Ellen J on 11/01/02 at 21:15 (098977)

I have not tried the deep tissue massage, but I am doing Trigger Point Therapy, in which the therapist puts strong pressure on tiny knots of muscle called Trigger Points. When she presses deeply on those points, it helps release the tightened muscle fibers. These Trigger Points cause referred pain to other areas of the body, as you may already know. I am working on the trigger points in my calf muscles and it is really helping my feet alot. Also, I am doing gentle stretching, because if you don't stretch after having muscles 'released', they can tighten back up again. You may already know all about this type of therapy, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I am doing most of the work myself, and only went to the physical therapist once in order to find out the proper way to work on the muscles myself.
I'll be interested to hear what others say about deep tissue massage, which is not the same as trigger point therapy, but I'm curious about it. I wonder if DTM is similar to Rolfing?
Ellen

Pete on 11/02/02 at 09:14 (098998)

I just had my third session on this yesterday. This is effectively an all over massage inc back, shoulders, glutes, hams, calves and feet. It can be very painful, particularly my feet, and is in no way a pleasant experience like a normal massage. Basically my whole body is tight so I'm just going to endure it and see whether there is any improvement. The massage aims to target the trigger points and tight areas. Also doing lots of stretching. This massage is termed a remedial massage and is very popular with sportsmen / women. A lot of footballers /athletes in the UK use it and also Paula Radcliffe who won the recent Chicago marathon.

Ellen J on 11/01/02 at 21:15 (098977)

I have not tried the deep tissue massage, but I am doing Trigger Point Therapy, in which the therapist puts strong pressure on tiny knots of muscle called Trigger Points. When she presses deeply on those points, it helps release the tightened muscle fibers. These Trigger Points cause referred pain to other areas of the body, as you may already know. I am working on the trigger points in my calf muscles and it is really helping my feet alot. Also, I am doing gentle stretching, because if you don't stretch after having muscles 'released', they can tighten back up again. You may already know all about this type of therapy, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I am doing most of the work myself, and only went to the physical therapist once in order to find out the proper way to work on the muscles myself.
I'll be interested to hear what others say about deep tissue massage, which is not the same as trigger point therapy, but I'm curious about it. I wonder if DTM is similar to Rolfing?
Ellen

Pete on 11/02/02 at 09:14 (098998)

I just had my third session on this yesterday. This is effectively an all over massage inc back, shoulders, glutes, hams, calves and feet. It can be very painful, particularly my feet, and is in no way a pleasant experience like a normal massage. Basically my whole body is tight so I'm just going to endure it and see whether there is any improvement. The massage aims to target the trigger points and tight areas. Also doing lots of stretching. This massage is termed a remedial massage and is very popular with sportsmen / women. A lot of footballers /athletes in the UK use it and also Paula Radcliffe who won the recent Chicago marathon.