Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

difference between powerstep and superfeet for heel spur

Posted by mike g on 11/02/02 at 17:33 (099085)

I saw both superfeet and powerstep at a local running store. They said both would help with my heel pain. can you tell me if there is a difference between the two and which do you reccommend.

Re: difference between powerstep and superfeet for heel spur

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/02/02 at 22:30 (099120)

Different individuals have different foot shapes so there is always a bit of experimantation when trying prefab orthotics --- there is a possibility you may have to try both. My preference is Superfeet.
Ed

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/03/02 at 08:25 (099140)

These are both good products, however I have had more success with Powersteps among my patients. Powersteps tend to have a higher arch area, which supports the plantar fascia, but often may feel too high for some patients causing local soreness. Superfeet are a very nice product that in my opinion, doesn't always give as much support in the arch area as I would prefer. The bottom line is that you should try both products in your shoes and determine which feels best. You probably can't go wrong with either product.

mike g on 11/03/02 at 10:49 (099154)

sounds like it is personal preference. I was told by a podiatrist that you don't want to load up something under the arch, but to try to support the heel and that will help control planter fascitis more. Is that true

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/03/02 at 19:32 (099212)

I believe that your doctor was stating the belief that to control abnormal motion, you must control the rearfoot. Over the past few years, there has been some that have questioned this theory. I believe the rearfoot must be controlled, but I also believe that correct support below the arch is also an important piece of the puzzle.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/04/02 at 08:30 (099252)

I agree with Dr. Wander. We see quite a bit of PF patients here, and the majority of them exhibit some sort of condition that is causing the PF, such as a short heel cord, as well as flat or high arched feet. Others that do not seem to have any specific conditions that you can trace back to the cause of the PF, a good off the shelf insert such as the Powersteps is a good choice.

Again, the majority of the patients need the proper calcaneal stability as well with proper arch support. I am not a fan of Superfeet, but that is just my opinion. In our ski shop, we do not use the Superfeet system, we believe that we can provide better support with the Instaprint system. It is a direct molded device, but it is still ground like a custom orthotic to fit the shoe(s) that you wear.

I would suggest with anyone to find as much information as you can on different devices. I would also suggest checking with a C.Ped in your area to see what they think as well. Check with your insurance company to see if they cover foot orthotics, both in and out of network.
Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/02/02 at 22:30 (099120)

Different individuals have different foot shapes so there is always a bit of experimantation when trying prefab orthotics --- there is a possibility you may have to try both. My preference is Superfeet.
Ed

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/03/02 at 08:25 (099140)

These are both good products, however I have had more success with Powersteps among my patients. Powersteps tend to have a higher arch area, which supports the plantar fascia, but often may feel too high for some patients causing local soreness. Superfeet are a very nice product that in my opinion, doesn't always give as much support in the arch area as I would prefer. The bottom line is that you should try both products in your shoes and determine which feels best. You probably can't go wrong with either product.

mike g on 11/03/02 at 10:49 (099154)

sounds like it is personal preference. I was told by a podiatrist that you don't want to load up something under the arch, but to try to support the heel and that will help control planter fascitis more. Is that true

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/03/02 at 19:32 (099212)

I believe that your doctor was stating the belief that to control abnormal motion, you must control the rearfoot. Over the past few years, there has been some that have questioned this theory. I believe the rearfoot must be controlled, but I also believe that correct support below the arch is also an important piece of the puzzle.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/04/02 at 08:30 (099252)

I agree with Dr. Wander. We see quite a bit of PF patients here, and the majority of them exhibit some sort of condition that is causing the PF, such as a short heel cord, as well as flat or high arched feet. Others that do not seem to have any specific conditions that you can trace back to the cause of the PF, a good off the shelf insert such as the Powersteps is a good choice.

Again, the majority of the patients need the proper calcaneal stability as well with proper arch support. I am not a fan of Superfeet, but that is just my opinion. In our ski shop, we do not use the Superfeet system, we believe that we can provide better support with the Instaprint system. It is a direct molded device, but it is still ground like a custom orthotic to fit the shoe(s) that you wear.

I would suggest with anyone to find as much information as you can on different devices. I would also suggest checking with a C.Ped in your area to see what they think as well. Check with your insurance company to see if they cover foot orthotics, both in and out of network.
Richard, C.Ped