Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin only relieves pain on left foot - Why?

Posted by Des L. on 11/03/02 at 09:10 (099147)

Can anyone comment on this please? I have TTS and neuropathy and take Neurontin for the pain. My left foot is worse than the right. I notice that when I take the Neurontin it only relieves the pain in the left foot. My dosage is 300mg 3x daily and 600mg at bedtime. If anyone understands this, I hope to hear what you may know. Thanks.

Re: Neurontin only relieves pain on left foot - Why?

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 17:12 (099330)

Des,

I'm taking a guess hers -- but could it simply be, because your neurontin dose is high enough to be effective for the left foot (the one that's in better shape) but the dose is NOT high enough to relieve the pain in your RIGHT foot? If so, then you might get more relief in that right foot from an increased dosage of Neurontin.

Just a thought.

Sharon

BrianG on 11/04/02 at 21:34 (099362)

OR, your right foot has less nerve type problems, than your left foot. Your right foot may have a different kind of problem, which does not respond as well to the Neurontin. You may have two differnt problems, one in each foot. Just a guess. You could ask the doc.

I took Neurontin for a few months. It did nothing for my PF, but worked great for a nerve problem in my right thigh. I finally gave it up, due to the side effects.

Good luck
BrianG

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 23:13 (099388)

Good point, Brian!

Des L. on 11/05/02 at 22:16 (099472)

Ooh ! That sounds reasonable and a possibility.

Hi Sharon W and BrianG, Thanks for your replies. I'll use the information. (I'm new to this site and really appreciating all the good information here. I never even heard of TTS before my diagnosis. Also never knew so many people were going through such pain in their feet. Actually I posted in a couple other places, but then I'm so tired from the pain and med I can't remember where? Hope I'm not slighting anyone.) BrainG: Could you tell me what were your side effects with Neurontin and then what did you use instead? If you don't mind my question. Thanks.

BrianG on 11/06/02 at 18:58 (099532)

Hi Des,

The Neurontin gave me double vision, and led to some weght gain. Since it did not help me feet, I thought the cure was worse than the disease (nerve problem in thigh). Right now I take a combination of meds, including a pain med, Vioxx, Prozac, Diazapam, and a couple allergy meds. I didn't just start all these meds at once though, I hope you realize that. I've been fighting this PF for over 8 years, and as the pain has become worse, different meds have been added. I hope this helps.

BrianG

PS: Yes, the pain can be tiring, very tiring!!! :*(

Des L. on 11/06/02 at 22:47 (099542)

Thanks Brian, I'm glad you answered. Just trying to figure out where I might be headed with some of this pain stuff. I'm really sorry you have been dealing with this for that long a time. I never realized our feet could be in such trouble. Tomorrow I get 'fitted' for custom orthotics for the TTS. Hope they help. Thanks for sharing the information about yourself and your meds. I really appreciate it. Des L.

Re: thigh symptoms.

Ellen F. on 11/08/02 at 10:07 (099629)

brian, what type of nerve problem were you having in your thigh? i have a problem in left thigh where it feels like the hair is standing up, had second nerve test yest. and that dr. checked muscles in my back, it really hurt bad on the left side when he put the needles in, felt like somebody stabbing me clear thru my back and pain radiated into my left hip. also when he stuck the needle in my upper leg and asked me to lift my leg i couldn't do it. do you have back problems? maybe that is where your nerve problem is and it is causing you problems with your thigh. just curious i guess.

Re: thigh symptoms, Meralgia Paresthetica

BrianG on 11/08/02 at 18:12 (099646)

Hi Ellen, it's a nerve problem, mainly caused from wearing my belt (put's added pressure on the nerve) at work, carrying around a fairly heavy Motorola portable radio, and other 'security' stuff. Some cops also get the same deal. It's called Meralgia Paresthetica. You can look it up on the Net, it's fairly common. Oh ya, 30 extra pounds doesn't help either!

Regards
BrianG

PS: The nerve pain has gotten better since I have been out of work :*) If only the PF would do the same!

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 17:12 (099330)

Des,

I'm taking a guess hers -- but could it simply be, because your neurontin dose is high enough to be effective for the left foot (the one that's in better shape) but the dose is NOT high enough to relieve the pain in your RIGHT foot? If so, then you might get more relief in that right foot from an increased dosage of Neurontin.

Just a thought.

Sharon

BrianG on 11/04/02 at 21:34 (099362)

OR, your right foot has less nerve type problems, than your left foot. Your right foot may have a different kind of problem, which does not respond as well to the Neurontin. You may have two differnt problems, one in each foot. Just a guess. You could ask the doc.

I took Neurontin for a few months. It did nothing for my PF, but worked great for a nerve problem in my right thigh. I finally gave it up, due to the side effects.

Good luck
BrianG

Sharon W on 11/04/02 at 23:13 (099388)

Good point, Brian!

Des L. on 11/05/02 at 22:16 (099472)

Ooh ! That sounds reasonable and a possibility.

Hi Sharon W and BrianG, Thanks for your replies. I'll use the information. (I'm new to this site and really appreciating all the good information here. I never even heard of TTS before my diagnosis. Also never knew so many people were going through such pain in their feet. Actually I posted in a couple other places, but then I'm so tired from the pain and med I can't remember where? Hope I'm not slighting anyone.) BrainG: Could you tell me what were your side effects with Neurontin and then what did you use instead? If you don't mind my question. Thanks.

BrianG on 11/06/02 at 18:58 (099532)

Hi Des,

The Neurontin gave me double vision, and led to some weght gain. Since it did not help me feet, I thought the cure was worse than the disease (nerve problem in thigh). Right now I take a combination of meds, including a pain med, Vioxx, Prozac, Diazapam, and a couple allergy meds. I didn't just start all these meds at once though, I hope you realize that. I've been fighting this PF for over 8 years, and as the pain has become worse, different meds have been added. I hope this helps.

BrianG

PS: Yes, the pain can be tiring, very tiring!!! :*(

Des L. on 11/06/02 at 22:47 (099542)

Thanks Brian, I'm glad you answered. Just trying to figure out where I might be headed with some of this pain stuff. I'm really sorry you have been dealing with this for that long a time. I never realized our feet could be in such trouble. Tomorrow I get 'fitted' for custom orthotics for the TTS. Hope they help. Thanks for sharing the information about yourself and your meds. I really appreciate it. Des L.

Re: thigh symptoms.

Ellen F. on 11/08/02 at 10:07 (099629)

brian, what type of nerve problem were you having in your thigh? i have a problem in left thigh where it feels like the hair is standing up, had second nerve test yest. and that dr. checked muscles in my back, it really hurt bad on the left side when he put the needles in, felt like somebody stabbing me clear thru my back and pain radiated into my left hip. also when he stuck the needle in my upper leg and asked me to lift my leg i couldn't do it. do you have back problems? maybe that is where your nerve problem is and it is causing you problems with your thigh. just curious i guess.

Re: thigh symptoms, Meralgia Paresthetica

BrianG on 11/08/02 at 18:12 (099646)

Hi Ellen, it's a nerve problem, mainly caused from wearing my belt (put's added pressure on the nerve) at work, carrying around a fairly heavy Motorola portable radio, and other 'security' stuff. Some cops also get the same deal. It's called Meralgia Paresthetica. You can look it up on the Net, it's fairly common. Oh ya, 30 extra pounds doesn't help either!

Regards
BrianG

PS: The nerve pain has gotten better since I have been out of work :*) If only the PF would do the same!