Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long will this last?

Posted by Terezia on 11/03/02 at 14:56 (099178)

I have been diagnosed with PF during my pregnancy. Well, my baby girl arrived on Aug. 24th, but my PF is still with me. How long can I expect it to last or better...when will it get better?

I am doing foot stretches and try not to walk without footwear, but still hurts like hell every morning and in the evening, if I've been on my feet all day. This has been going on for 6 months now.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Re: How long will this last?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 19:16 (099207)

In general, PF seems to heal in months or years rather than in days or weeks. The amount of time that it takes to heal depends on a lot of factors. One thing's for sure; the earlier and more thoroughly you treat your feet (using conservative treatment like you have been doing, and like are described in the heel pain book) the faster you will heal in the long run. On the bright side, 90-95% of people with PF do heal completely, in time.

I hope you don't mind a few suggestiong. It sounds like you have got a good start in treating your feet properly, much better than I was doing after having PF for the same amount of time, but my heart goes out to you in your situation and I just want to help. So here are a few things that came to mind.

I noticed you mentioned that you try not to walk without footwear, but for many of us it's really important to never walk barefoot and it makes a huge difference. I'm a Mom too, and I remember all the work it takes to take care of a little baby. If you have a good sandal you can quickly slip into and that is good for most PF feet, like Birkenstock Arizonas, you can slip into them instantly if the baby needs you in the middle of the night. If you don't have any and are interested in buying them, you can see them at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com and similar sites.

Also, it's good to have some shower shoes to wear in the shower, or a shower stool.

What kind of stretches are you doing? It seems to be best to limit our stretching to the most very gentle sitting down stretches. Some stretches that have been helpful to many here are described by Julie in a post. Here's a link to that description: bbv.cgi?n=91080

I'd say to try not to lift heavy things, but a three month old baby can seem pretty heavy to someone with PF. Maybe you can try to sit more when you are holding her. Try not to be on your feet all day if you can manage to sit.

Taping has helped a lot of people on the board, though I never tried it. It's described in the heel pain book, with drawings too. This might be a big help to you and I'd definitely suggest that you try it.

I don't recall if you have posted to this message board before, but I hope that you come back and continue to read and post any questions that you might have.

Carole C

Re: Dear Carol!

Terezia on 11/03/02 at 23:31 (099230)

Thank you soooo very much for your response and for all the helpful links. The more I read here the more I realize how important it is wearing the footwear ALL the time. I've been cheating a bit, thinking 'oh well it won't matter if I skip barefoot here and there', but by what I read here it is essential to wear good footwear and all the time. I'll smarten up then. Thank you.

Staying of my feet will be virtually impossible for at least a year with my baby being so small and not lifting her is not an option.

I read in the PF book, that this mostly affects overweight people. Well, I'm not and have never been. I did put on 25lbs with pregnancy and I do beleive that is the cause. I think pregnancy should be added as one of the potential causes of PF. I couldn't find any relationship anywhere.

I am very happy that I came across this website today and have bookmarked it for future references.

Thank you again, my dear friend.

Greetings from Vancouver, Canada.

Re: Sorry, i misspelled your name, CAROLE!

Terezia on 11/03/02 at 23:33 (099231)

Sorry, i misspelled your name, CAROLE!

Re: How long will this last?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/03/02 at 19:16 (099207)

In general, PF seems to heal in months or years rather than in days or weeks. The amount of time that it takes to heal depends on a lot of factors. One thing's for sure; the earlier and more thoroughly you treat your feet (using conservative treatment like you have been doing, and like are described in the heel pain book) the faster you will heal in the long run. On the bright side, 90-95% of people with PF do heal completely, in time.

I hope you don't mind a few suggestiong. It sounds like you have got a good start in treating your feet properly, much better than I was doing after having PF for the same amount of time, but my heart goes out to you in your situation and I just want to help. So here are a few things that came to mind.

I noticed you mentioned that you try not to walk without footwear, but for many of us it's really important to never walk barefoot and it makes a huge difference. I'm a Mom too, and I remember all the work it takes to take care of a little baby. If you have a good sandal you can quickly slip into and that is good for most PF feet, like Birkenstock Arizonas, you can slip into them instantly if the baby needs you in the middle of the night. If you don't have any and are interested in buying them, you can see them at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com and similar sites.

Also, it's good to have some shower shoes to wear in the shower, or a shower stool.

What kind of stretches are you doing? It seems to be best to limit our stretching to the most very gentle sitting down stretches. Some stretches that have been helpful to many here are described by Julie in a post. Here's a link to that description: bbv.cgi?n=91080

I'd say to try not to lift heavy things, but a three month old baby can seem pretty heavy to someone with PF. Maybe you can try to sit more when you are holding her. Try not to be on your feet all day if you can manage to sit.

Taping has helped a lot of people on the board, though I never tried it. It's described in the heel pain book, with drawings too. This might be a big help to you and I'd definitely suggest that you try it.

I don't recall if you have posted to this message board before, but I hope that you come back and continue to read and post any questions that you might have.

Carole C

Re: Dear Carol!

Terezia on 11/03/02 at 23:31 (099230)

Thank you soooo very much for your response and for all the helpful links. The more I read here the more I realize how important it is wearing the footwear ALL the time. I've been cheating a bit, thinking 'oh well it won't matter if I skip barefoot here and there', but by what I read here it is essential to wear good footwear and all the time. I'll smarten up then. Thank you.

Staying of my feet will be virtually impossible for at least a year with my baby being so small and not lifting her is not an option.

I read in the PF book, that this mostly affects overweight people. Well, I'm not and have never been. I did put on 25lbs with pregnancy and I do beleive that is the cause. I think pregnancy should be added as one of the potential causes of PF. I couldn't find any relationship anywhere.

I am very happy that I came across this website today and have bookmarked it for future references.

Thank you again, my dear friend.

Greetings from Vancouver, Canada.

Re: Sorry, i misspelled your name, CAROLE!

Terezia on 11/03/02 at 23:33 (099231)

Sorry, i misspelled your name, CAROLE!