Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

subcalcaneal bursitis

Posted by Jane T on 11/03/02 at 23:25 (099229)

I had an mri that showed marked edema of the muscles underneath the calcaneous. Would this be what is commonly referred to as subcalcaneal bursitis? If so, would EPF help this? The PF was much less inflamed then this infracalcaneal area.
Also, I had an ultrasound which showed no thickening. I don't believe it. Should I?

Re: subcalcaneal bursitis

Dr. Marlene Reid on 11/04/02 at 22:50 (099380)

A few things are important here. 1) How good is the person reading the MRI - how much experience do they have reading feet? 2) Same thing for the ultrasound 3) EPF will not treat a problem if it is within the muscles (the point of EPF is to cut only the fascia)

Bursitis would not be inflammation within the muscles, but could be between the bone and the muscles. I just did a case that had a huge retrocalcaneal bursea.

Re: subcalcaneal bursitis

Dr. Marlene Reid on 11/04/02 at 22:50 (099380)

A few things are important here. 1) How good is the person reading the MRI - how much experience do they have reading feet? 2) Same thing for the ultrasound 3) EPF will not treat a problem if it is within the muscles (the point of EPF is to cut only the fascia)

Bursitis would not be inflammation within the muscles, but could be between the bone and the muscles. I just did a case that had a huge retrocalcaneal bursea.