Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron Versus Dornier

Posted by Anonymous on 11/04/02 at 07:01 (099246)

(this is was submitted to the podiatry management newsletter)

RE: Ossatron Versus Dornier (Walter W. Strash, DPM, Joel Wilner, DPM)

I had the opportunity to speak to Ron Gully, COO of Healthtronics, as well as Argil Wheelock, MD, Chairman and CEO of Healthtronics this afternoon (10-24-02). I expressed my displeasure with their letter to Ossatron users dated 10-07-02. With that letter, was an attachment comparing the 'key' differences between the Ossatron and the Dornier EPOS Ultra. In comparing the Ossatron and Dornier machine, they used only the information provided in the Australian study (Buchbinder et al)

published in JAMA. (BTW, did you know that a radiologists choose the patients for this study? !!!) The attachment stated the position that the Dornier was a low energy machine, which as most of you now know, is not the truth. I questioned both Mr. Gully and Dr. Wheelock as to how they could make such a comparison, since I felt they must know that the Dornier EPOS Ultra is a high energy machine. Basically they said that while they recognize that both machines deliver the same amount of energy to the plantar fascia, but since the Ossatron focal beam is larger, more tissue is being treated, and this means that more energy is

absorbed. I told them both that that was a real stretch. Still, knowing that the Australian study used the Dornier EPOS Ultra in a manner NOT approved by the manufacturer, or the FDA, I felt that Healthtronics deliberately set out to spread negative information about the Dornier EPOS Ultra, which they knew was not true.

Further, Dr. Wheelock, in a letter to Ms. Lisa Hardin at JAMA, dated 09-24-02, commended JAMA on publishing the Buchbinder et al article (JAMA Vol. 288, No. 11, 2002). In that letter, Dr. Wheelock continued to

refer to the Dornier EPOS Ultra as a low energy machine, even though he had to know that the Dornier EPOS Ultra was FDA approved as a high energy ESWT machine.

You know, we do not need this kind of behavior, do we? The controversy created by the Australian study is hurting ESWT as a viable treatment for plantar fasciitis. Healthtronic's is hurting both Healthtronics and

Dornier, and it is hurting those of us that feel that high energy ESWT is a very effective and medically beneficial treatment.

If you are certified on the Ossatron, then you should have received the above referenced letters. If you have not, and would like copies, e-mail
me with your fax #.

Robert Scott Steinberg, DPM, DACCPPS
Section Chief, Podiatric Surgery
Department of Surgery
Norwegian-American Hospital, Chicago

Re: Ossatron Versus Dornier

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 13:44 (099291)

Again, more politics. The issue is a bogey because both high and low energy protocols work. I am amazed a how the flawed study is being used an abused. The net result, at least in the short term, is that third party payors will be given an excuse not to pay for ESWT treatment --- the victims are potential patients! This is disgusting.
Ed

Re: Ossatron Versus Dornier

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 13:44 (099291)

Again, more politics. The issue is a bogey because both high and low energy protocols work. I am amazed a how the flawed study is being used an abused. The net result, at least in the short term, is that third party payors will be given an excuse not to pay for ESWT treatment --- the victims are potential patients! This is disgusting.
Ed