Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Computer analysed orthotics

Posted by Pete on 11/04/02 at 14:49 (099308)

Anyone had success with these i.e based on your gait being analysed on video

Re: Computer analysed orthotics

R C on 11/04/02 at 18:12 (099336)

My pod tried this approach with me three times and came up empty. Just to show how bad this was -- the orthotics made my uninjured foot hurt like heck as well. On the first try, I couldn't make both my heels and my toes touch the surface at the same time (i.e., the arch was too high by a huge margin). All this only goes to show I had a bad podiatrist. Maybe you'll have better luck with yours (unless it is the same guy).

carmen h on 11/04/02 at 18:50 (099344)

OUCH NO. it didn't work for me three times.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 21:54 (099367)

I am fascinated by video and computer analysis of gait. The basic problem is that few really know how to use the data clinically and at some offices, the process is just there for show.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/02 at 08:40 (099400)

I agree with Dr. Davis, I also really enjoy getting down to the nitty gritty in gait analysis studies and all that technical stuff (technical stuff...I'm such a professional..lol), but someone who does not know what they are looking for can not help you at all. I think someone with true experience can use their own eyes and figure out what is going on in someone's gait. Granted, there are things going on that can't be seen with the naked eye. This is one of the things that I really enjoy about my job.

Be aware that some, if not most, of these 'technicians' are just franchise owners who do not know much, if anything, about proper foot care. I have one of these stores about five miles from my office. I usually end up having to fix their mistakes.
Richard, C.Ped

john h on 11/05/02 at 10:14 (099410)

Pete: I wear Footmax computer generated orthotics. I think like any orthotic they can be good or bad depending on whether you really need orthotics and whether they are properly fit. I think we all get caught up in computer technology to the point if it is made by a computer then it must be the best. I have had custom soft,ridid, and the current semi rigid computer generated Footmax orthotics. I would not give the nod to any particualr one but did not do well with rigid orthotics although many have. Just do not be sucked in because they are computer generated. I have had mine adjusted twice for free and they have worked better than the others. Fit is everything with orthotics and do get a professional like Richard to correctly fit these babies or they can do more harm than good.

john h on 11/05/02 at 10:25 (099414)

Richard: There really do not seem to be many people who do what you do with your passion and expertise.At least I cannot find them.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/02 at 12:59 (099438)

What account did you want me to deposit the money in again John? Just kidding.

Thanks for the kind words.
Richard, c.Ped

R C on 11/04/02 at 18:12 (099336)

My pod tried this approach with me three times and came up empty. Just to show how bad this was -- the orthotics made my uninjured foot hurt like heck as well. On the first try, I couldn't make both my heels and my toes touch the surface at the same time (i.e., the arch was too high by a huge margin). All this only goes to show I had a bad podiatrist. Maybe you'll have better luck with yours (unless it is the same guy).

carmen h on 11/04/02 at 18:50 (099344)

OUCH NO. it didn't work for me three times.

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/04/02 at 21:54 (099367)

I am fascinated by video and computer analysis of gait. The basic problem is that few really know how to use the data clinically and at some offices, the process is just there for show.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/02 at 08:40 (099400)

I agree with Dr. Davis, I also really enjoy getting down to the nitty gritty in gait analysis studies and all that technical stuff (technical stuff...I'm such a professional..lol), but someone who does not know what they are looking for can not help you at all. I think someone with true experience can use their own eyes and figure out what is going on in someone's gait. Granted, there are things going on that can't be seen with the naked eye. This is one of the things that I really enjoy about my job.

Be aware that some, if not most, of these 'technicians' are just franchise owners who do not know much, if anything, about proper foot care. I have one of these stores about five miles from my office. I usually end up having to fix their mistakes.
Richard, C.Ped

john h on 11/05/02 at 10:14 (099410)

Pete: I wear Footmax computer generated orthotics. I think like any orthotic they can be good or bad depending on whether you really need orthotics and whether they are properly fit. I think we all get caught up in computer technology to the point if it is made by a computer then it must be the best. I have had custom soft,ridid, and the current semi rigid computer generated Footmax orthotics. I would not give the nod to any particualr one but did not do well with rigid orthotics although many have. Just do not be sucked in because they are computer generated. I have had mine adjusted twice for free and they have worked better than the others. Fit is everything with orthotics and do get a professional like Richard to correctly fit these babies or they can do more harm than good.

john h on 11/05/02 at 10:25 (099414)

Richard: There really do not seem to be many people who do what you do with your passion and expertise.At least I cannot find them.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/02 at 12:59 (099438)

What account did you want me to deposit the money in again John? Just kidding.

Thanks for the kind words.
Richard, c.Ped