Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel , surgery 10/31

Posted by Pam D. on 11/05/02 at 10:52 (099420)

I am a 43y.o. physical therapist assistant that has suffered from TT, PF and a growing bunion for at least 5 years. This past year I knew that I had reached my limit of conservitive treatment's and needed drastic measures to releave my pain or I would have to quit my job. I allready had given up hiking, power walking, going to the theme parks (I live near Orlando) and latley I haven't even been able to walk my dog or ride my bike. I had been on anti-infammitory's for most of the 5 years. The last being Bextra. This one has helped the most. I have access to a pool, in fact was doing aqua physical therapy 2 times a week for the hospital I work for. The water was wonderful for my feet, especially the deep water exercises. Unfortunaly, I had to also put in hours at the hospital. It had got to the point I could not longer do my job or have an active life style. So, I had the surgery on 10/31. I see the doctor tomorrow. My pain is under contol with darvocet and bextra. The sugery was 2 hours long. I had some inital nausea but, not since. I'll keep posting as I progress. One symptom that I had prior to sugery that I have not seen is the feeling that I have been walking on rocks or that the bones in my feet feel like they are coming through my skin . Any one else have this sympyom?
Pam D.

Re: tarsal tunnel , surgery 10/31

Sharon W on 11/06/02 at 08:41 (099495)

Best wishes, Pam, for a fast and successful recovery. Please do keep us posted as to how it goes. Has your Dr. told you how long he/she expects you will be non-weight bearing, how long (or whether) you will use a cast or splint, how long you should expect to wait before walking without a cast or cam walker or any other type of assistance?

Sharon

EKC on 11/07/02 at 17:08 (099596)

I had my (failed) TTS/PF release in Orlando. I would like to talk
to you. Please email me: (email removed).
BTW, yes, I felt like the heels in my feet wanted to come through
the skin, at times. But the pain in my feet changes hour by hour,
week by week. Haven't had that pain in some time.

Pam D on 11/08/02 at 19:22 (099648)

Eileen,
Thanks for your response, I tried to e-mail you but it could not go through (?)
Pam D.

Lynn Mc on 11/10/02 at 10:11 (099705)

Pam.....I had the same surgery on 10/28/2002 . Still not able to put weight on it and still have stitches. My foot has alot of weird sensations in it now and don't feel attached to my leg at times. How are you doing now ???????Any comments are appreciated.....Thanks Lynn

Pam D on 11/12/02 at 08:25 (099864)

Lynn,
My foot feels better every day, but, I could not be as active without the darvcoet. My doctor also has me on Bextra, 20mg.for swelling. I go back to him this afternoon, he will probably take out a few stitches and let me start toe-touch weight bearing (I'm guessing). I can let my foot touch the floor but, not put any weight on it yet and I can sit for a while without it being elevated. I still ice in the evening. He encouraged me to start passive range of motion on my toes and ankle. I do this about once or twice a day. I am down to only 2 pain pills a day, one first thing in the morning and one about 7:00 p.m.
As soon as he lets me, I will start to do aqua-therapy, which I hope will be in two weeks.
And yes, I have had some shooting pains and pins and needles ect., my doctor said since the nerves have been released, it was normal to get different sensations in the foot. I do hope it all goes away.
I'll write more as I progress.
Pam

Re: For Lynn Mc

Pam D on 11/15/02 at 20:46 (100326)

Lynn, How is your foot doing? It's almost been 3 weeks. Mine is feeling better every day although I 'm not sapose to be putting weight on it, I find that I can put weight on the lateral side of my foot with no pain. I get the rest of my stitches out next Wed.
Pam D.

Sharon W on 11/06/02 at 08:41 (099495)

Best wishes, Pam, for a fast and successful recovery. Please do keep us posted as to how it goes. Has your Dr. told you how long he/she expects you will be non-weight bearing, how long (or whether) you will use a cast or splint, how long you should expect to wait before walking without a cast or cam walker or any other type of assistance?

Sharon

EKC on 11/07/02 at 17:08 (099596)

I had my (failed) TTS/PF release in Orlando. I would like to talk
to you. Please email me: (email removed).
BTW, yes, I felt like the heels in my feet wanted to come through
the skin, at times. But the pain in my feet changes hour by hour,
week by week. Haven't had that pain in some time.

Pam D on 11/08/02 at 19:22 (099648)

Eileen,
Thanks for your response, I tried to e-mail you but it could not go through (?)
Pam D.

Lynn Mc on 11/10/02 at 10:11 (099705)

Pam.....I had the same surgery on 10/28/2002 . Still not able to put weight on it and still have stitches. My foot has alot of weird sensations in it now and don't feel attached to my leg at times. How are you doing now ???????Any comments are appreciated.....Thanks Lynn

Pam D on 11/12/02 at 08:25 (099864)

Lynn,
My foot feels better every day, but, I could not be as active without the darvcoet. My doctor also has me on Bextra, 20mg.for swelling. I go back to him this afternoon, he will probably take out a few stitches and let me start toe-touch weight bearing (I'm guessing). I can let my foot touch the floor but, not put any weight on it yet and I can sit for a while without it being elevated. I still ice in the evening. He encouraged me to start passive range of motion on my toes and ankle. I do this about once or twice a day. I am down to only 2 pain pills a day, one first thing in the morning and one about 7:00 p.m.
As soon as he lets me, I will start to do aqua-therapy, which I hope will be in two weeks.
And yes, I have had some shooting pains and pins and needles ect., my doctor said since the nerves have been released, it was normal to get different sensations in the foot. I do hope it all goes away.
I'll write more as I progress.
Pam

Re: For Lynn Mc

Pam D on 11/15/02 at 20:46 (100326)

Lynn, How is your foot doing? It's almost been 3 weeks. Mine is feeling better every day although I 'm not sapose to be putting weight on it, I find that I can put weight on the lateral side of my foot with no pain. I get the rest of my stitches out next Wed.
Pam D.