Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Misdiagnosed??

Posted by M. Rao on 11/05/02 at 11:42 (099427)

I was diagnosed with PF in both feet in October, 1999 after running my fourth marathon. I was 28 yrs. old when the injury occurred. After seeing numerous docs and trying nearly every published treatment (rest, ice, split, many orthotics, et al), I have been wondering if I really have PF, or maybe something else. I just stopped running completely in January of this year, and have been getting *slowly* better.

However, a number of things suggest to me that it could be something other than PF,

* I don't have acute pain in the morning.
* My feet get slightly achy when I am sitting (yes, sitting!).
* Both of my ankles 'crack' constantly. I can make it happen about every 30 seconds if I want to. I believe that the condition is called crepitus?
* The pain is most pronounced when I am standing in one place.

Do these symptoms point to some other, albeit similar, condition?

Muk

Re: Misdiagnosed??

M. Rao on 11/05/02 at 11:44 (099428)

Correction - I have been injured since October of 2000, NOT 1999.

Sorry 'bout that...

Muk

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/06/02 at 05:43 (099487)

HI M. Rao:

Have you had any blood work done to rule out various types of arthritis?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

M. Rao on 11/06/02 at 10:19 (099503)

I have seen a bunch of docs, but do not remember getting checked for arthritis.

The other thing I left out is that I get a slight pain at the very top of my right foot in the morning after I get out of bed. It doesn't really bother me and it usually goes away within 5 minutes.

Symptoms like that really make me wonder whether this is PF or some other damage to my foot that happened during that marathon in 2000.

Thanks for the arthritis comment. I will consider getting tested...

Muk

M. Rao on 11/05/02 at 11:44 (099428)

Correction - I have been injured since October of 2000, NOT 1999.

Sorry 'bout that...

Muk

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/06/02 at 05:43 (099487)

HI M. Rao:

Have you had any blood work done to rule out various types of arthritis?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

M. Rao on 11/06/02 at 10:19 (099503)

I have seen a bunch of docs, but do not remember getting checked for arthritis.

The other thing I left out is that I get a slight pain at the very top of my right foot in the morning after I get out of bed. It doesn't really bother me and it usually goes away within 5 minutes.

Symptoms like that really make me wonder whether this is PF or some other damage to my foot that happened during that marathon in 2000.

Thanks for the arthritis comment. I will consider getting tested...

Muk