Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain I can not take it anymore

Posted by Marcia M on 11/05/02 at 14:39 (099449)

My heel pain started in June, my primary Dr. referred me to a foot Dr.
I went to this foot Dr. all summer long. He told me I have Plantar Fasciitis. I have had 3 shots in my foot also my foot was in a cast for 3 weeks. Nothing helped I got very fustrated and stopped going to the Dr. and figured I would just deal with it. Will I can no longer deal with it I am in pain everyday to the point that I am very depressed and end up crying by the end of the night because of the pain that I am in.
At this point I do not know what to do. Do I go back to the foot dr. or do I go back to my primary Dr.? Please help I what my life back and I do not want to be in pain anymore!!!

Re: Time to get proactive with your treatment

BrianG on 11/05/02 at 21:05 (099469)

Hi Marcia,

In my experience, the foot doctors do not like to prescribe pain type meds for any length of time. I would go back to your primary, and let him know what is going on. He may put you on an anti-depressant, or even a mild pain reliever. It's always a good idea to jot down exactlly how the pain is effecting your life. Bring the list with you when you see your primary. It will ensure that you don't forget anything. The doctor will need this infomation for your files. Without detailed information, he will not likely feel good about prescribing for you. Unfortunatly the drug abusers have made it hard for legitimate pain sufferers.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

PS: Are you icing, and taping??

Re: heel pain I can not take it anymore

Jim C on 11/05/02 at 21:06 (099470)

Hi,
I hear your frustration and I know how painful this can be. Get your heal in ice and use a nsaid, (non steroidial anti-inflamitory drug) Ibuprofen was my choice, I took up to 2400mgs a day, 800 three times a day. This should reduce your pain to a manageable level as it always helped me. When I was hurting the worst I would sit all evening with a pan of ice water, I would do 10 minutes in the ice then let my foot warm back up then back in again. Be carefull and don't put any weight on your feet until they warm back up as this will injure them further! I also found elevating my feet above my heart helped the pain. Also limit your activities, Don't do anything you don't have to do...stay off your feet!!!
I would definetly see a new Podiatrist and perhaps you might need a stronger medicaton until you get this pain under control!
Read the heal pain book on this site as it has a wealth of info on PF (it's free).
I had two shots early on and they did nothing but make my condition worse, though I think the great majority benifit from them, but most people on this site have not had success with them either.
Keep coming back to this site and read/post as much as possible.

Jim

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/06/02 at 05:51 (099491)

Marcia:

Don't beat you self up. I would try a round of physcial therapy with orthotics and a night splint. I would also try wearing more heels instead of flats. Get a diagnostic ultrasound to see what degree the fascia is inflammed. Definatley take an NSAID consistantly for two weeks to reate what is called steady state of the medication in your sytsem. I used to be a pharmacist. What type of work do you do? Do you sit or stand most ofthe day?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/06/02 at 06:21 (099492)

Marcia -

My heart goes out to you because I have been in that extreme pain which causes a depressive feeling and lots of crying. Listen to the other people here and try to rest your feet as much as you can and even more than you can!! The methods discussed in the heel pain book seem to work for most people, so read it and try to be patient as you try the different modalities recommended. Unfortunately the pain doesn;t go away overnight and patience is the hardest part. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best for you. Mar

Re: thank you

Marcia M on 11/06/02 at 09:20 (099499)

Thank you everyone for your replies it makes me feel better that I am not the only one out there. I work at my daughters school, I am a lunch monitor so I am on my feet about 3 hours a day. It is so hard to stay off my feet at home because I am aslo a Mom. My husband helps me a lot but it is hard because he works a lot. Also it really bothers me that I can not do stuff on my own. I have been iceing my foot at night.......does not seem to help I also use a ace bandage instead of tape.

Again thank you for your replies and help it really means a lot! :)

Marcia

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/02 at 09:30 (099501)

Hi Marcia,
I can really sense your frustration. I'm sorry about all your trouble. I did not see anywhere if you mentioned that you have tried orthotics. If you have not, I would ask your doctor about them, as well as trying to find a C.Ped in your area and ask about them. With your foot as sore as it is, I would suggest using a soft type material such as 1/2' 40 durometer EVA for posting and 1/8' 30 durometer EVA for the shell. I would not suggest putting someone one with such a sore foot in a hard or rigid orthois.
Richard, C.Ped

Re: Time to get proactive with your treatment

BrianG on 11/05/02 at 21:05 (099469)

Hi Marcia,

In my experience, the foot doctors do not like to prescribe pain type meds for any length of time. I would go back to your primary, and let him know what is going on. He may put you on an anti-depressant, or even a mild pain reliever. It's always a good idea to jot down exactlly how the pain is effecting your life. Bring the list with you when you see your primary. It will ensure that you don't forget anything. The doctor will need this infomation for your files. Without detailed information, he will not likely feel good about prescribing for you. Unfortunatly the drug abusers have made it hard for legitimate pain sufferers.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

PS: Are you icing, and taping??

Jim C on 11/05/02 at 21:06 (099470)

Hi,
I hear your frustration and I know how painful this can be. Get your heal in ice and use a nsaid, (non steroidial anti-inflamitory drug) Ibuprofen was my choice, I took up to 2400mgs a day, 800 three times a day. This should reduce your pain to a manageable level as it always helped me. When I was hurting the worst I would sit all evening with a pan of ice water, I would do 10 minutes in the ice then let my foot warm back up then back in again. Be carefull and don't put any weight on your feet until they warm back up as this will injure them further! I also found elevating my feet above my heart helped the pain. Also limit your activities, Don't do anything you don't have to do...stay off your feet!!!
I would definetly see a new Podiatrist and perhaps you might need a stronger medicaton until you get this pain under control!
Read the heal pain book on this site as it has a wealth of info on PF (it's free).
I had two shots early on and they did nothing but make my condition worse, though I think the great majority benifit from them, but most people on this site have not had success with them either.
Keep coming back to this site and read/post as much as possible.

Jim

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/06/02 at 05:51 (099491)

Marcia:

Don't beat you self up. I would try a round of physcial therapy with orthotics and a night splint. I would also try wearing more heels instead of flats. Get a diagnostic ultrasound to see what degree the fascia is inflammed. Definatley take an NSAID consistantly for two weeks to reate what is called steady state of the medication in your sytsem. I used to be a pharmacist. What type of work do you do? Do you sit or stand most ofthe day?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mar on 11/06/02 at 06:21 (099492)

Marcia -

My heart goes out to you because I have been in that extreme pain which causes a depressive feeling and lots of crying. Listen to the other people here and try to rest your feet as much as you can and even more than you can!! The methods discussed in the heel pain book seem to work for most people, so read it and try to be patient as you try the different modalities recommended. Unfortunately the pain doesn;t go away overnight and patience is the hardest part. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best for you. Mar

Marcia M on 11/06/02 at 09:20 (099499)

Thank you everyone for your replies it makes me feel better that I am not the only one out there. I work at my daughters school, I am a lunch monitor so I am on my feet about 3 hours a day. It is so hard to stay off my feet at home because I am aslo a Mom. My husband helps me a lot but it is hard because he works a lot. Also it really bothers me that I can not do stuff on my own. I have been iceing my foot at night.......does not seem to help I also use a ace bandage instead of tape.

Again thank you for your replies and help it really means a lot! :)

Marcia

Richard, C.Ped on 11/06/02 at 09:30 (099501)

Hi Marcia,
I can really sense your frustration. I'm sorry about all your trouble. I did not see anywhere if you mentioned that you have tried orthotics. If you have not, I would ask your doctor about them, as well as trying to find a C.Ped in your area and ask about them. With your foot as sore as it is, I would suggest using a soft type material such as 1/2' 40 durometer EVA for posting and 1/8' 30 durometer EVA for the shell. I would not suggest putting someone one with such a sore foot in a hard or rigid orthois.
Richard, C.Ped