Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Deb A on 11/06/02 at 21:52 (099537)

I have heel pain on the 'outside' of my foot. I appear to have the syptoms of planters fascia...but the pain is on the outside of my foot. The pain is very intense in the mornings first time walkin on it and always more painful after I have been sitting for some time. When I wear a certain shoe...Doc Martin shoes.. the pain is not near as bad.. My heel appears to be swollen and it is very sore... Could it be planters fascia or what?? And what are some immediate things I can do to help releive some of the pain. Thank you

Re: heel pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/07/02 at 19:50 (099602)

Hi Deb:

It sounds like you are describing plantar fasciitis. First I would have this X-Rayed and then scanned with diagnostic ultrasound to make the diagnosis. I would start wearing a wedge or clog type shoe. Avoid flats and barefoot. Start some NSAIDS for inflammation. I would get to a doctor and start a regimen of physcial therapy.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: heel pain

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/07/02 at 19:50 (099602)

Hi Deb:

It sounds like you are describing plantar fasciitis. First I would have this X-Rayed and then scanned with diagnostic ultrasound to make the diagnosis. I would start wearing a wedge or clog type shoe. Avoid flats and barefoot. Start some NSAIDS for inflammation. I would get to a doctor and start a regimen of physcial therapy.

Dr. John Cozzarelli