Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

runner going crazy

Posted by kimt on 11/07/02 at 15:42 (099589)

I recently had an MRI on my left heel. I had already bascially been doing nothing for 3 weeks. A cortizone injection was given directly in my heel I have been to PT three times a week and been taking anti-inflammatories. Things seemed to be improving. When I was finally given permission to do a test run. I ran for about 10 minutes on the sand and it was quite uncomfortable. I had trouble weight bearing for two days after. I find it confusaing that it flared up so much as I ran(on grass) on two previous occassions about two weeks after cortizone and had some mild discmfort but it was just a distraction. I am concerned that the injury seems to be more severe now that I have began PT and stayed off it for several weeks. I had an MRI done and it revealed 'trace amount of fluid at the plantar fascial attachment and trace edema in the heal pad. No evidence of calceneus stress fracture'. I was put in a removable cast. I am wondering what I can do to speed healing and if the cast is really necessary.

Re: runner going crazy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/07/02 at 19:43 (099599)

HI Kim:

Let it rest. After resting it I would try running on grass and see how it feels. Hold off on the sand.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Be careful with physios

sandy h on 11/09/02 at 05:06 (099656)

You are at a critical stage. Don't do any of the aggressive strength training that physios might give you. Just keep range of motion exercises and rest for a couple of months. This is a very dangerous condition if you keep running on it but goes away if you rest and do the right things apparently.

Re: runner going crazy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/07/02 at 19:43 (099599)

HI Kim:

Let it rest. After resting it I would try running on grass and see how it feels. Hold off on the sand.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Be careful with physios

sandy h on 11/09/02 at 05:06 (099656)

You are at a critical stage. Don't do any of the aggressive strength training that physios might give you. Just keep range of motion exercises and rest for a couple of months. This is a very dangerous condition if you keep running on it but goes away if you rest and do the right things apparently.