Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Look God"

Posted by john h on 11/08/02 at 09:41 (099628)

There have been a few religious post lately which is usually a no no on a board. I have have something religious in nature but is not meant to convey anything more than the touching writings of an Army helicopter gunner in Vietnam Be you a Jew,Christian,Aethist,Agnostic or whatever it should touch you in some way:

Petty Officer Mik Schaffernocker was a door gunner with the Seawolves. he was shot down and took cover in a shell hole. Like all of us who have been there, Mike thought about it. Unlike most of us, Mike wrote aboute it. He wrote on a yellow lined paper. Later Mike was shot down again. His name appears on the wall in Washington, D.C.

Mikes words: 'Look God, I have never spoken to you, But now I want to say, 'How do you do.' You see, God, hey told me you didn't exist. And like a fool, I believed all this.

Last night from a shell hole, I saw your sky. I figured right then, they
had told me a lie. Had I taken time to see the things you made, I'd have
known they weren't calling a spade a spade.

I wonder, God, if you'd shake my hand. Somehow, I feel you will understand
Funny, I had to come to this hellish place, Before I had time to see your
face.

Well, I guess there isn't much more to say, But I sure am glad, God, that I met you today. I guess the zero hour will soon be here, But I am not afraid since I know your'e near.

The signal, well, God, I'll have to go. I like you lots and I want you to know. Look now,this will be a horrible flight. Why, who knows, I may come to your house tonight.

Though, I wasn't terrible friendly to you before, I wonder, God, if you'd wait by the door? Look, I'm crying...Me shedding tears! I wish I'd have known you better, these many years.

Well, God, I'll have to go now: Goodbye...Strange, Since I met you..I'm not afraid to die!'

On April 28, 1969, Mike' gun teams was ambushed in a helicopter trap on the Cambodian border. Both helicopters were shot down. Mike fell out and hanging outside the aircraft on his gunner's belt when it crashed on him and killed him

Re: "Look God"

Julie on 11/08/02 at 10:56 (099630)

Thank you, John. It IS touching. It's not unusual for this shift to take place when a person is facing a life-threatening or potentially life-threatening situation. Some people might not think it genuine, and might even scoff, but it is genuine and it is life-changing. Mike was lucky it happened for him.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/02 at 11:19 (099631)

I think it shows that it is never to late...or to soon to get your priorities straight.
Richard

Suzanne D on 11/08/02 at 11:31 (099634)

Thank you for sharing this, John. It brings tears to my eyes, especially today as we received letters from 'our' soldiers for the first time.

I didn't participate in the religious discussion earlier, but my hope is in the Lord, and it is my desire that my life will reflect His purpose.

Suzanne :-)

Necee on 11/11/02 at 08:07 (099767)

Thank you so much John for sharing this with us. I reflected on the life of a very close family member who was killed in VietNam....this touches my heart.

Necee

Tammie on 11/23/02 at 13:50 (101007)

This is a wonderful reminder,to know that none of us will ever have to be alone! Not ever. We just have to ask, only honest and straight from the heart!!! This John has been a wonderful reminder! Noone HAS to agree about religion, as there never be two of the same people who believe page to page as the interpitation can be taken in so many ways. But to be allowed to feel this shows how even at the last hours we will nto be alone,just a thought can be a gift to you and the promise of never being a lone.Thanks I enjoyed this, as it is a good reminder.

Julie on 11/08/02 at 10:56 (099630)

Thank you, John. It IS touching. It's not unusual for this shift to take place when a person is facing a life-threatening or potentially life-threatening situation. Some people might not think it genuine, and might even scoff, but it is genuine and it is life-changing. Mike was lucky it happened for him.

Richard, C.Ped on 11/08/02 at 11:19 (099631)

I think it shows that it is never to late...or to soon to get your priorities straight.
Richard

Suzanne D on 11/08/02 at 11:31 (099634)

Thank you for sharing this, John. It brings tears to my eyes, especially today as we received letters from 'our' soldiers for the first time.

I didn't participate in the religious discussion earlier, but my hope is in the Lord, and it is my desire that my life will reflect His purpose.

Suzanne :-)

Necee on 11/11/02 at 08:07 (099767)

Thank you so much John for sharing this with us. I reflected on the life of a very close family member who was killed in VietNam....this touches my heart.

Necee

Tammie on 11/23/02 at 13:50 (101007)

This is a wonderful reminder,to know that none of us will ever have to be alone! Not ever. We just have to ask, only honest and straight from the heart!!! This John has been a wonderful reminder! Noone HAS to agree about religion, as there never be two of the same people who believe page to page as the interpitation can be taken in so many ways. But to be allowed to feel this shows how even at the last hours we will nto be alone,just a thought can be a gift to you and the promise of never being a lone.Thanks I enjoyed this, as it is a good reminder.