Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis Pain

Posted by Dennis C. on 11/08/02 at 20:51 (099651)

I have had this pain for over 2 months. Received Cortisone(sp?) shot early September and new orthotics two weeks ago but pain still high.
1. What would you suggest next?
2. I am doing stretching exercises daily but what treatment can I perform at home to ease pain, i.e. heat, cold?
Thank you.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - POSITIVE RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl C. on 10/16/02 at 12:27 (097633)

I am very interested in the relationship between plantar fascititis, nutrition, metabolism, and thyroid. Esp. the homeopathic drink to increase metabolism. Can you provide me with more information or contact info for your doctor?

Re: Plantar Fasciitis Pain

Betty R on 11/08/02 at 21:33 (099652)

I bought the power step inserts for my heel pain which is described just like the plantar fasciitis. Before I bought the power step inserts I was looking on the internet and was on a web site (which I can't find again) and it offered two different types of inserts, one for regular feet and one type for flat feet. My problem, I AM flat footed and it seems that the more I wear the power inserts my heel pain is mostly relieved however I am having pain in the back top of my heel, almost as if it has moved UP. It is below the ankle but in the back of my heel. Do I need a special insert for flat feet? Do these need to be special ordered for 'my' foot?

Thank You
Betty Rodgers

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/09/02 at 05:55 (099657)

Hi Dennis:

I would suggest physical therapy (ultrasound, paraffin, electrical stimulation), NSAID amd a night splint. Passive stretching is very important. I would also use a heel and avoid barefoot or flats.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/09/02 at 07:58 (099659)

I agree with Dr. Cozzarelli, though I caution against the use of heels or heel lifts as a long term treatment. I agree that barefoot and flat shoes should be avoided, but the use of 'heels' or heel lifts on a regular basis will cause the Achilles to adapt and shorten, which defeats the purpose of stretching or night splints. In the short term, to relieve symptoms heel lifts and moderate heels will help. Once symptoms subside and passive stretching is done with a night splint, (I prefer the Strassburg Sock), my suggestion would be to gradually decrease the heel height and heel lift to maintain the length of the soft tissue and to prevent the area from staying 'tight'.

Re: clarification

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/09/02 at 08:53 (099662)

I agree with Dr. Wander. In the acute stage of plantar fasciitis a heel will help. I did not mean to imply a heel for life. The achiles will definately adapt and shorten.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - POSITIVE RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl C. on 10/16/02 at 12:27 (097633)

I am very interested in the relationship between plantar fascititis, nutrition, metabolism, and thyroid. Esp. the homeopathic drink to increase metabolism. Can you provide me with more information or contact info for your doctor?

Betty R on 11/08/02 at 21:33 (099652)

I bought the power step inserts for my heel pain which is described just like the plantar fasciitis. Before I bought the power step inserts I was looking on the internet and was on a web site (which I can't find again) and it offered two different types of inserts, one for regular feet and one type for flat feet. My problem, I AM flat footed and it seems that the more I wear the power inserts my heel pain is mostly relieved however I am having pain in the back top of my heel, almost as if it has moved UP. It is below the ankle but in the back of my heel. Do I need a special insert for flat feet? Do these need to be special ordered for 'my' foot?

Thank You
Betty Rodgers

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/09/02 at 05:55 (099657)

Hi Dennis:

I would suggest physical therapy (ultrasound, paraffin, electrical stimulation), NSAID amd a night splint. Passive stretching is very important. I would also use a heel and avoid barefoot or flats.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/09/02 at 07:58 (099659)

I agree with Dr. Cozzarelli, though I caution against the use of heels or heel lifts as a long term treatment. I agree that barefoot and flat shoes should be avoided, but the use of 'heels' or heel lifts on a regular basis will cause the Achilles to adapt and shorten, which defeats the purpose of stretching or night splints. In the short term, to relieve symptoms heel lifts and moderate heels will help. Once symptoms subside and passive stretching is done with a night splint, (I prefer the Strassburg Sock), my suggestion would be to gradually decrease the heel height and heel lift to maintain the length of the soft tissue and to prevent the area from staying 'tight'.

Re: clarification

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 11/09/02 at 08:53 (099662)

I agree with Dr. Wander. In the acute stage of plantar fasciitis a heel will help. I did not mean to imply a heel for life. The achiles will definately adapt and shorten.

Dr. John Cozzarelli