Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain flowcharts on ACFAS website

Posted by Max K on 11/09/02 at 11:58 (099671)

I just found this 12-page pdf file:

'The ACFAS Heel Pain Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG) is now available as a downloadable .pdf file.'

The download page is here:
http://www.acfas.org/heelpaincpg.html

Once you're there, you'll see the download link. File size is about 443KB, a 12-page document with several flowcharts and anatomical drawings and photos of x-rays. Max

Re: heel pain flowcharts on ACFAS website

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/09/02 at 13:53 (099676)

Thank you for presenting this. We had a discussion about a year ago concerning the creation of a flow chart but awaited the ACFAS flowchart.
It is very informative although it tends to be oriented toward third parties and perhaps primary care physicians. I feel it needs a lot more depth in the area of treatment of mechanical heel pain (plantar fasciitis).
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 12:48 (100508)

It has some information that I think might be helpful to patients, too. For example, newcomers on the message board often ask how long it takes for most people to get over PF. The article says that 90-95% of PF patients are over it within a year if certain treatments are applied (and not if nothing is done). Although this information is easily available elsewhere, there are other items of information that I had not seen elsewhere.

With a flow chart like that, I'm surprised it was not presented as a programmed expert system. The hard part has been done.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 11/09/02 at 13:53 (099676)

Thank you for presenting this. We had a discussion about a year ago concerning the creation of a flow chart but awaited the ACFAS flowchart.
It is very informative although it tends to be oriented toward third parties and perhaps primary care physicians. I feel it needs a lot more depth in the area of treatment of mechanical heel pain (plantar fasciitis).
Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 11/17/02 at 12:48 (100508)

It has some information that I think might be helpful to patients, too. For example, newcomers on the message board often ask how long it takes for most people to get over PF. The article says that 90-95% of PF patients are over it within a year if certain treatments are applied (and not if nothing is done). Although this information is easily available elsewhere, there are other items of information that I had not seen elsewhere.

With a flow chart like that, I'm surprised it was not presented as a programmed expert system. The hard part has been done.

Carole C