Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

advice on walking

Posted by chuck on 11/09/02 at 17:22 (099682)

Hate to be a bother on this MB, but have had PF for so long I have a million unanswered questions; I'll address them as they pop into my head, but one being this:

If PF is considered a ligament injury(?), what sort of limitations should I (or I should have, past tense) placed on walking? The general consensus I see from other sufferers of PF is that the more one tried to return to normal walking activities, the longer the injury sustained itself. I only address this issue because every ortho and podiatrist I've seen never placed any limitations on walking, in fact, when it first flared up seven years ago the orthopedist led me to believe I could return to work after the normal (?) two to three week break in for the orthotics. The job I had at the time was one where I was constantly on my feet. If this is considered an injury, why wasn't rest prescribed, as in any other ligament injury, until the affected area healed itself.

Suffice to say, I was in too much pain to return to work, as a matter of fact, I lost my job due to PF, which, to this day, had not gotten any better through any sort of treatment and surgery was never offered as an option. When the first onset appeared in the left foot, I overcompensated on the other and damaged my right foot. In July and August 96 I could not walk at all was confined to a wheelchair. Has anyone else had it this severe? (others posting on the MB)

To any reading, thanks for paying attention to my babbling, but this has affected my entire life, rendering me disabled

Chuck

Re: advice on walking

Jen on 11/11/02 at 12:34 (099795)

Hi, I do share your frustration even if I have battaled with PF much shorter time -six months since I was diagonosed. I visited my primary care doctor twice and 2 podiatrists for many times up to now, and none of them stated clearly I should try to keep off my feet as much as possible. One of them said your feet need rest. But what kind of rest? Once I told them my job is of desk job they did not say anything. As far as I understood I should stop taking my daily walk. But I did as usual the grocery shopping etc. Then the good foot started to flare up too. And thing got so bad that I found I had to sit to brush my teeth and sit in shower. Housing cleaning and cooking for more than five minutes is impossible now. When I have to do those things I keep a kitchen stool with me and sit on it as much as possible. In the fist two months of the summer I walked with my heels not touching the ground to avoid the pain. As I mentioned this to one of the podiatrist he did not say more than just 'It's bad for your feet'. One day I was in a store-provided wheel chair to shop for shoes. And you know that's not sth I want to relive in my life. I felt like I was in the dark with many Why and How unanswered until I came across this site. Thanks to the creator and many PF sufferers and doctors here we can take an active role in the fighting of the horror disease. Read the HeelPain Book, you can get more info.
Thanks for the chance to vent my frustration too. Good luck to us all .

Re: advice on walking

Jen on 11/11/02 at 12:34 (099795)

Hi, I do share your frustration even if I have battaled with PF much shorter time -six months since I was diagonosed. I visited my primary care doctor twice and 2 podiatrists for many times up to now, and none of them stated clearly I should try to keep off my feet as much as possible. One of them said your feet need rest. But what kind of rest? Once I told them my job is of desk job they did not say anything. As far as I understood I should stop taking my daily walk. But I did as usual the grocery shopping etc. Then the good foot started to flare up too. And thing got so bad that I found I had to sit to brush my teeth and sit in shower. Housing cleaning and cooking for more than five minutes is impossible now. When I have to do those things I keep a kitchen stool with me and sit on it as much as possible. In the fist two months of the summer I walked with my heels not touching the ground to avoid the pain. As I mentioned this to one of the podiatrist he did not say more than just 'It's bad for your feet'. One day I was in a store-provided wheel chair to shop for shoes. And you know that's not sth I want to relive in my life. I felt like I was in the dark with many Why and How unanswered until I came across this site. Thanks to the creator and many PF sufferers and doctors here we can take an active role in the fighting of the horror disease. Read the HeelPain Book, you can get more info.
Thanks for the chance to vent my frustration too. Good luck to us all .